Regular dropping mast for bridges

Generally Sailing Talk
Swerve
Old Fart

Regular dropping mast for bridges

Postby Swerve » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:29 pm

Hi all,

Long time since a post on here. But a few life events have me thinking.

Has anyone done a setup to enable regular mast dropping on the water to pass under bridges ? Again, would this idea work better on a C18 or C22, I suspect a C18 as I know from memory the C22 is a much heavier beast (Maxm).

In my head, I'm thinking something like the mast support for raising the C18 mast , but maybe a little higher and possibly left in place, so the mast could be dropped say to 1/3 the way down and supported whilst going under a 5m bridge. Also been 10 plus years since I rigged a C18, could the boom be left on and folded up to the mast as the mast is lowered ?

Swerve
2008 Caravelle 217 LS, 300hp
Ex two Careels owner (C18/125, C18/192)
2010 GU Patrol Ti 4.8L

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Regular dropping mast for bridges

Postby maxm » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi Swerve! You thinking about buying another Careel? There's a few nice boats on the market at the moment! :wink: 8)

I suspect it'd be easier to rig that setup on a C22 than a C18 because the boom would get in the way on a C18. Whereas, on a C22 you could leave the boom attached.

In fact, now I think about it, I reckon it'd be a case of attaching the backstay to the end of the boom. Then two short lines from the end of the boom to the two centre chainplates adjusted nice and tight. These are in line with the foot of the mast, as are the upper shrouds. So the whole lot should swivel with the mast as it goes up or down. The upper shrouds would hopefully provide lateral support for the mast and the two lines do the same for the boom.

Attach a long line to the end of the boom, back to somewhere like the backstay bridle and then forward to a winch. Release the rear lower shrouds and bingo! You'd have the setup you're after.

Hmmm... now you've got me thinking. This would be worth experimenting with.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Swerve
Old Fart

Postby Swerve » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:07 pm

In the next year we plan on moving house, where having a Careel in the backyard may be a option ;)

A C22 would be preferred as a better cruising boat over a C18. Anyhow your idea sounds viable , but has been a long time since I rigged Katrina. Any photos showing the C22 rigging again ?
2008 Caravelle 217 LS, 300hp
Ex two Careels owner (C18/125, C18/192)
2010 GU Patrol Ti 4.8L

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:14 am

Yes, of course that lowering & raising again of the stick can be simply handled utilising a couple of methods which come to mind on a C18 with the boom likely folded up in place &/or attached to mast.
Don.

Jim & Margaret
Old Fart

Postby Jim & Margaret » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:12 pm

I rigged a set up for raising and lowering our 18' MkIII, Jabiru's mast such that it could be partially lowered for passing under the Bateman's Bay and Nelligen Bridges. I rigged two side stays to stop the mast swinging sideways while lowering and a topping lift to raise the boom.
I should have photos somewhere.

Jim
C18/455 'Jabiru'
"If you're a friend of the captain, you can wipe your hands on the sail"

Lucky
Petty Officer

Postby Lucky » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi Swerve
I have a setup on our 22 using a boat winch strapped to the mast,and use the backstay and a rope and pulls attached to the transom . The winch has a clutch brake allowing me to stop and leave it to attend to snagged shrouds etc,it has allowed easy single handed lowering and raising on and off the water. I have never had the boom on, it is 10 ft long. Pop down to one of the Cruises before launching,to see it in action and it would be great to see you again.
Regards
Richard

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Richard, with the mast fully down, the winch on the mast and a line going back to the transom, is there enough of an angle to pull the mast up? Or do you need something else to get things started?
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Return to “General Discussion”