c18 mk1 hervey bay

Generally Sailing Talk
mandrake
Land Lubber

c18 mk1 hervey bay

Postby mandrake » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi all, just a quick queiry, I have my eye on a really nicely presented mk1. she is well maintained by the look of her. but my quiery is about the early model light keel. after trolling through so many of the past topics I think I have just confused myself. I have moved to hervey bay. and this is where I will be sailing the bay and the sandy straights how will a mk1 c18 handle the bay? your opinions will be valued.
thank you in advance mandrake

Herbie
Petty Officer

Re: c18 mk1 hervey bay

Postby Herbie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 am

Hi mandrake, congratulations on your move to the beautiful Hervey Bay. In my opinion, after living and sailing there for over 20 years, it is by far the best sailing/cruising region in Qld. The waters are so clean and protected (except for the Northerly winds) that the versatility of a Careel 18 will provide many years of safe and enjoyable sailing. Day sailing can be had off the beach at Torquay or over to Big Woody and Fraser Islands. Further adventures can take you down the Great Sandy Straits to Tin Can Bay or up as far as Platypus Bay, at the top of Fraser. Maryborough, Toogoom and Burrum Heads are other ports worth visiting. The winter months are best for cruising with the milder weather conditions and the added bonus of 100s of humpback whales that visit the Bay each year. Updated charts show all the channel markers and sandbars, plus the safe anchorages around the Bay and the Straits. Beware of the 3 - 4 knot tidal flow that cross the entrance to Urangan Harbour. An underpowered vessel could easily end up on the rocks there in adverse conditions. All the boat ramps and facilities in the region are good and well maintained by the local council.
My advice is that you contact the secretary of the Yacht Squadron at The Boat Club who can put you in touch with many other trailer sailors that sail the Bay. Also, it is wise to subscribe to the local VMR for your own peace of mind while out on the water.
Enjoy!

mandrake
Land Lubber

Postby mandrake » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:31 am

Thank you Herbie for your very informative and detailed reply. I could not have hoped for better. Since you have put my mind at ease it only requires me to commit to a purchase
Thank you again mandrake

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Another couple of things that I'd like to add to Herbs valuable info & advice would be to purchase a C18 with a bigger keel in it plus one with a decent & larger non standard rudder.
The extra weight under the boat won't go astray in the vast openness of the Bay, the Sandy Strait, etc & their variable conditions nor will the extra control gained by a deeper rudder blade.
Many C18 have these improvements & extras already so don't panic. Of course if your purchase hasn't got then you can always upgrade.
The rudder you'll be able to see easily. You don't want what is commonly know as the Barbie Plate which is the old orig'l smallish 12-13mm plate. Make sure of the bigger job that has approx.1 mte of blade in the water. It could be either swing or dagger in style,, dagger better in my opinion.
If it has to be a mk1 (there's a mk2 & 3 models) make sure that it has a 20mm keel in it & not the standard 12-13mm plate. The added weight will be valuable over the smaller standard especially in the rougher water & we who have cruised or raced up there in the Bay2Bay know all to well about the chop & surfing waves. All mk2 & mk3 models have bigger keels in them.
Don.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 pm

mandrake,

If the boat you're looking at is Suitsus then there's mention of the keel being upgraded (and galvanised) so it may have a heavier-than-original keel. It'd be worth asking them the question.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

mandrake
Land Lubber

Postby mandrake » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 am

Thanks again for the answers, and yes maxm it is suits us And it is the lighter keel, I did ask, and it is that reason that I started this thread as I was wondering about the light keel and condtions here

Mango
Captain

Postby Mango » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Mandrake, as Don said the chop set up through conflicting tides and wind can be heavy. Last year after the finish of the Bay2Bay race I really struggled to control my boat which had a 5hp 2 stroke engine and later sustained damage in the marina.

I've now upgraded to a 9.8 HP Tohatsu to give the extra grunt when needed.

I'll be at the upcoming Bay2Bay in May hope to see you.

Cheers,

John

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Postby paul trotter » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:23 pm

I’ve got lazy in my old age and sail regularly on Moreton Bay with both a lighter Careel 18 with the 64kg CB and now the Mark 3 and the 168kg CB! The later is a joy in big airs on the northern bay compared to the old one....never looked back!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

Herbie
Petty Officer

Postby Herbie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:20 am

Hi mandrake, C18/200 Katrina will be entering this year's B2B and I also plan to spend a few days cruising the Bay/Island/Straits, either immediately before or after B2B. You (and any others Careels) are very welcome to cruise in company with me. The weather conditions at that time will determine the when, the direction and the anchorages.
Cheers, Herb

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:42 pm

I won't say that Robyn & I are definite starters this B2B but, at this point we look likely & we've been talking of maybe taking an extra day or two to chill. Time will be our enermy however.
Don.

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Postby paul trotter » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Herbie keep us in the loop with your plans.
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

Return to “General Discussion”