C22 Genoa and Main Sail

Generally Sailing Talk
Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

C22 Genoa and Main Sail

Postby Edwin Flynn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi Careelers,

I am in the market for a used No2, C22 Genoa and Main sail. All my other sails are in very good condition. Is there anyone her that is thinking of upgrading their sails and perhaps interested in selling me any of the above?

Cheers
ED
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!
The following is my club's web site which I authored. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed building it.
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Re: C22 Genoa and Main Sail

Postby Edwin Flynn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:31 am

I have another question. I can get pretty good quality used Etchell headsail and main. Does anyone know if these Etchell sails will need refitting to suit a C22?

I hope someone knows the answer.

Thanks
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!
The following is my club's web site which I authored. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed building it.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:06 am

The Etchells headsail should fit. Commodore Kim crews on Etchells and has sourced the headsails for various people. I don't know about the mainsail but it'd be worth giving it a go.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Postby Edwin Flynn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:42 am

Thank you Max. I am trying to source them from the US at the moment. Just inquiring about the freight costs.

Cheers
ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!

Ukuri
Old Fart

Postby Ukuri » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:15 am

Ed both Etchell and Soling jibs will work well on the C22 as a "No.4ish" headsail.
Both, however, need to be sheeted in pretty close to the centre line to get the most out of them so ideally you will need a set of inboard Jib Car/Tracks on the cabin top.
They will generally be cut for a sheeting angle of around 12 to 15 degrees either side of the centreline which will put your tracks about "3 finger widths" inside the handrails either side of the fore hatch.
Be warned, your cabin top may not be exactly centred with respect to the centre line from the Tack to the Mast so pull a string line from the tack fitting to the centre of the mast base and measure out the same amount on each side befroe you drill any holes. Mine is about 50mm different side to side.
You'll also need some sort of fairlead on the very top front corner of the cabin top to redirect the jib sheet down to you standard headsail Car/Track then on to the winch.
There are good fleets of both Etcehells and Solings in Aust so you really shouldn't need to go looking OS and paying the associated freight.
I'll be out at Manly on Tues or Wed so I'll take some pics and post them.
Another option is an old jib off an 18' skiff which will also fit. I have an old fully battened Mylar Skiff Jib which is my favourite sail. It is wickedly fast in anything over about 12k and being short on the foot it is really quick and easy to tack. Sadly as it was made in 1990, by one M Coxon, it is just about at the end of it's useful life. It's now almost more repair than sail.
I tried to attach a pic but got a message saying "Board Attachment Quota reached"

I'll have to try something else.
Cheers
Chris

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Postby Edwin Flynn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:25 am

Thank you for the reply. Yes I have checked the cost of freight from Chicago and it will bring the cost of the used Etchell sails to about the cost of a new No.2 sail. I am talking with Peter Green Sails and he quoted $781 made from Premium Contender woven cloth. I think this is pretty competitive even though I have not asked for other quotes. I had to follow through with my thought bubble. :lol:
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!

Return to “General Discussion”