Sydney Harbour Races info/crew

Generally Sailing Talk
jared
Land Lubber

Sydney Harbour Races info/crew

Postby jared » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello

My wife and I own HOBNOBn Careel 18 fixed keel in little Sirrus Sydney.

We would like to come out and see the races. (race location/times)
We would also like to see some rigging setups if possible.
(or crew option for sunday race)

Who do I contact to join races?
Thanks for your time,
Jared and Cynthia

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Sydney Harbour Races info/crew

Postby maxm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi Jared and Cynthia,

Sadly, you're out of luck as far as racing goes. The days of active fleets racing on Pittwater and Botany Bay have passed by. For various reasons, there's never been any racing of any kind on Sydney Harbour in my years with the association. There is one or maybe two boats racing on Pittwater with one of the clubs up there but they are 22's so not much use to you. About the only racing that happens these days is the annual national championships but this year they were in September on Lake Macquarie. I believe the date and location for 2018 hasn't yet been decided.

Best bet for seeing other boats is to go to the annual christmas party on 10 December as there should be some boats there. Otherwise check the cruise calendar here for alternative dates and venues. There's a cruise each month during the warmer months and they're usually well attended but the locations vary so not all will be viable for a fixed keeler.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

jared
Land Lubber

Postby jared » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Thank you for all the info.
Too bad there is no more races.

Cheers Jared

Mango
Captain

Postby Mango » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi Jared,

I have a Careel 18 Mark 1 swing keel and race it in the Marley, Bay2Bay races and the Careel nationals.

With regard to Sydney harbour I sail on a Clansman 32 with the Royal Australian Navy Sailing Association (RANSA). This is a fantastic, friendly club located at the old navy base at Rushcutters Bay with a great social and sailing program. Your Careel would be welcome to join the hugely mixed fleet.

If your interested let me know.

Cheers,

John

Return to “General Discussion”