Which Outboard?- Careel 18

Generally Sailing Talk
Chris Collin
Petty Officer

Which Outboard?- Careel 18

Postby Chris Collin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am

Greetings all,

Chris- C18-416 Based in South Australia, most sailing in lower Murray, the Lakes and Coorong

I have been very happy with the Yamaha 8HP 2 stroke that I bought with the boat: Easy to start, easy to lift off the transom (27kg) and has not (yet) let me down. I use it in short bursts getting out of the marina, and back in again. However it is getting on- 1991 26 years old, and when I had it serviced recently, the mechanic suggested it was time to get a replacement because of corrosion on the inside of the cylinder head plate, and a spot of mild overheating. He suggested that there was likely to be further corrosion where he couldn't see. (He offered to sell me a new outboard!).

So looking around for a replacement: A new yamaha 8HP 2 stroke? A number of sailing friends have suggested that this is an opportunity to "upgrade" to a 4 stroke. So at about 27kg, the Tohatsu, Yamaha and Suzuki single cylinder 4 strokes? The Tohatsu SailPro sounds ideal, but seems only to be available with a 25" shaft. Is that a problem? The manual says to drain the oil and fuel before transporting it on its side, the dealer says that's not needed.

What do Careelers use? Has anyone had experience with the Tohatsu? Is the 25" shaft too long? What are the other questions I should be asking?

Many thanks for any help with this

Chris

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Which Outboard?- Careel 18

Postby maxm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:49 pm

It's amazing how many of us have (or had in my case) that Yamaha 8HP 2 stroke. They're pretty well bullet proof aside from the tell-tale that clogs up so easily. I did do a major clean out of the water cooling galleries in mine when I had it and it's pretty amazing how many BIG salt crystals were in there despite my flushing it after every use. They had to be removed manually.

I upgraded to a Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke and the problem with that is they are heavy. Near on 50 kg meant that it was a 2 person job to put it on the transom and take it off again so it ended up living on the transom. With the result that it got stolen (weight and a good outboard lock not withstanding).

So now I'm back to a 2 stroke and happy. But the 4 strokes are much quieter, cleaner and more fuel efficient so if you've got a secure spot for the entire boat (I don't) then they're worth looking at. As for laying them down, my 4 stroke didn't need to be drained but it was particular about how it could be laid down.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:27 am

Hi Chris

You can't beat an 8hp 2 stroke for power and reliability ... and smooth running

The single cylinder 4 strokes tend to vibrate alot ... which is not ideal
also I reckon the 25 inch leg xtra long shaft would be too long for Careel 18.

Cookie aka MK 3 amigo has a love hate affair with his single cylinder 4 stroke ... and has come to live with it
after trying different props etc ...

one bonus of a 4 stroke is the fuel economy ...

I have a 4 stroke 8hp 2 cylinder yamaha which as max says ... around 44 kgs ... heavy ... but very smooth and quiet

if I were to get a new motor I would be getting a merc 9.9 light 2 stroke .. same weight (26 kgs) as the 6 and 8 hp 2 strokes

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en-gb/au/ ... ric-start/

cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Postby Mark III Amigo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:13 pm

The Byrd is right. The 4 stroke , 6 HP is very economical, about twice as good as the two stroke. Also clean. No oil slick smell or oil mixing. Shits me to tears having to follow a smelly two. if I had too buy new, I wouldn't buy two stroke. Go up to two cylinder four if you can deal with the weight penalty as the fours don't have the same power band as the twos, so same HP doesn't equate to same grunt.

My next motor? I'm hoping electric technology comes good but that may be wishful thinking.

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 pm

My five cents worth of advice is I use a 2 stroke (I think as fuel and oil mixed in fuel tank) which is a mercury motor about 8 or 9 HP - came with the boat but very reliable motor and more than enough power. Personally wouldn't like it much heavier but I manage fine. One small thing with the mercury is that it will only tilt up when in forward or neutral (found out the hard way when reversing to the beach and it refused to tilt up). Overall an excellent motor

Cheers,
Drifter
C18/137

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:06 am

The Tohatsu / merc / mariner 9.9 or 8 hp 4 stroke are a bit lighter that the yamaha ... 38kg

I must say if you don't mind the extra weight the 2 cylinder 4 strokes are beautiful motors
so smooth and quiet ...

My yamaha is the high thrust version ... these have a huge prop and different gear ratio (designed for yachts and displacement hulls )
it weighs more than the normal 8 hp 4 stroke.

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Chris Collin
Petty Officer

Postby Chris Collin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Many thanks for your replies.
I guess that what I would really like is a 20" 2 cylinder 4 stroke with a high thrust prop and low gearing which weights 27kg!
Like maxm and byrdsworth I'm leaning towards another 2 stroke at the moment as the weight is important for me.
As I'm in doubt, I am setting off for a few days sailing on the Coorong to clear my mind. I'll post my final decision after I get back.
Happy sailing and many thanks
Chris

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:33 pm

At 38 kg the merc / tohatsu 4 strokes .. are only 11 kgs heavier

on a long cruise you would only need to carry half the fuel you would have for a 2 stroke ... so less weight in fuel.

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:37 pm

byrdsworth wrote:... you would only need to carry half the fuel you would have for a 2 stroke ... so less weight in fuel.

Ah yes, that was my exact reasoning. Well do I remember it! :D I hadn't factored in the lifting on/off the transom scenario. Also, I could be wrong but 4 strokes just seem to have a bigger power head because getting it in a good position seemed more difficult. Maybe that was the weight again. Anyway, that's more a C22 problem because of the cutout in the transom for the outboard.

But byrds is right, if you could get a light enough 4 stroke, that'd be the way to go. They're so much cleaner. Thinking back, on my C18 I did have a 6hp single cylinder 4 stroke Suzuki. Vibrated like the clappers at low revs but otherwise it was great. Maybe that could be an option? You can get high thrust props as an after-market addition for a lot of outboards.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Postby paul trotter » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Now I'll be annoying......

I have a Mark 3 Careel 18

I bought a brand new 6hp Yamaha Two Stroke with a high thrust prop!

I love it!

-plenty of power
-light
-smooth as
-reliable
-no boat licence required
-love the smell and reminds me of holidays with Dad

And better still......it annoys Cookie when he follows me

Only down side is fuel economy but let's be serious we should be mostly sailing and it's hardly expensive compared to owning a big stink boat!
Other possible downside is my mower, brush cutter are all 4 strokes!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

Chris Collin
Petty Officer

Postby Chris Collin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Well, I'm back from the trip to the Coorong. The motor failed when we were away. It turned out that a stem of the fuel filter was cracked, and gradually got worse. Anyway removed the filter and the motor has run beautifully ever since (I will replace the filter!). So I have a bit longer to procrastinate. Many thanks for all the input. The issue is clearer if not yet decided on.
regards
Chris

Bartz
Petty Officer

Postby Bartz » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:05 am

I must be easy pleased, I have an old 2T 5hp Yamaha that when I got the boat had no telltale at all. Put it into the shop and for a little over $200 they cleaned it up. They said they had never seen a motor so full of salt!
Well it starts first time and seems to get me where I need to go, takes about an hour to get from the entrance of tea gardens to soldiers Point.
The outboard cover had a crack in it (anyone got a good spare laying around?) but I've doused the whole thing in lanolin spray.
It's small, light and does all I need it to do. Maybe if I motored more I'd get some more speed out of something bigger?
Has anyone had one of these and upgraded to something significantly faster?

Return to “General Discussion”