Beware of Puffer Fish!

Generally Sailing Talk
Mango
Ensign

Beware of Puffer Fish!

Postby Mango » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi Careelers, yesterday I was on my mate Dave's boat at Rushcutters Bay and while pulling up the mooring line pricked my hand on the spine of a small puffer fish that hand been minding his business nibbling on the rope.

Well pain shot up my arm with a continuous ache to the extent that Dave had to drive me to hospital as I wasn't sure what the full effect was going to be as the pain kept increasing.

At the hospital they had me spend 45 minutes with my hand under a running hot water tap after which the pain helped by Nurofen subsided to a manageable level and slowly faded away overnight. They did an ultrasound to make sure there was no bits of spine in the wound that could cause infection. Only slightly tender today.

Despite having a First Aid Cert I forget that the immediate treatment for most stings is warm water, I should have done that immediately then sought medical help.

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Beware of Puffer Fish!

Postby maxm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:42 am

Wow! I know they're poisonous but I've never heard of anyone coming to grief with a puffer fish. Glad to hear you recovered OK.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Return to “General Discussion”