Fixed Keeler or swing keel on mooring?

Generally Sailing Talk
Drifter
Captain

Fixed Keeler or swing keel on mooring?

Postby Drifter » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi all,

It is a sad time for careelers who don't have off street parking. My council like most in the area are imposing the 28 day bans even though I am a local resident and rate payer. I am beginning to seriously consider puting my careel 18 Mk I on a mooring or seeling my 18 and buying a fixed keel 18 which is for sale in sydney called Hobnob. Anyone had any experience? I was thinking that a fixed keel may do better on a mooring than my swing keel and I could sell my boat and trailer for someone who has off street parking. Are there issues with a mooring other than antifouling and more maintenance and water only access? I like having it on a trailer but in honesty I am happy to stay around Sydney Harbour. Also the inside photos of the fixed keel look much more open without the centreboard! Please let me know your thoughts. Ps I know i can get a mooring for my 18 nearby however just worried if it will ruin my boat being a mooring and if the swing keel will cope? Many thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers,
Ben
Drifter C18/MkI

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Fixed Keeler or swing keel on mooring?

Postby maxm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 am

If you moor your swing keeler then make sure you antifoul the centerboard and especially inside the keel case. Also it's probably better to leave the boat with the centreboard up when on the mooring. This should help keep prevent barnacles inside the keel case which could jam the centreboard. Over time you'll probably find the keel pin corrodes more quickly than it otherwise would have. I think you're right - fixed keelers cope better with being moored. As well as Hobnob, there's also Syntax up here on Lake Macquarie and a C22 fixed keeler Cadi in Sydney.

The biggest problem with a mooring in Sydney is just getting one! I know when I had a keel boat it took months to get a mooring.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:18 pm

Looks like Cadi is for sale ...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fairlig ... 1155143622

good price if it's in reasonable nick

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Luka
Old Fart

Postby Luka » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 pm

If you intend going on Careel cruises you wont be able to come in close to sure like the swing keelers. You'll need to bring a kayak or something.
Have you looked at places like the outdoor yards that people store their caravans at?
I don't know of any on the north side but when travelling south on the Princes Hwy there is one at Waterfall, must be something similar north.
Luka
C18-466 / Druthers

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. After at lot of phone calls and talking with council I managed to sort a permit but not sure how long it will be OK for. Will consider caravan style storage like you mentioned luka. Thanks all for your advice.

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:07 pm

Hi all,

Once again in the same predicament as parking permit has been revoked by Lane Cove Council! Utterly infuriated but seems there is nothing I can do. I have considered mooring my C18 Mk 1 but seriously worried it will deteriorate it. Do people think it's best to sell my c18 and buy hobnob the c18 fixed keeler?

A sad day for careeling :(

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:29 am

Hi All,

I have managed after countless phone calls etc to push for exemption from the boat parking laws. Thank goodness! Absolute nightmare but thankful for the privilege of keeping my boat on the street. Thank you all for your advice and support.

Cheers,
Drifter
C18/137

Return to “General Discussion”