Tow weight of C18 Mk I and choice of tow vehicle

Generally Sailing Talk
Drifter
Captain

Tow weight of C18 Mk I and choice of tow vehicle

Postby Drifter » Mon May 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi everyone,

As some of you may be aware, I am looking for a replacement vehicle for my old E320 wagon. I need a big boot for work and really the last big boot wagons I can find are the old ford falcon wagons which finished around 2010. The only alternative I can find is a people mover like a toyota tarago or kia carnival. Does anyone know the full weight of a careel 18 mark I (thin keel I think) and normal ball weight so I can make sure the towing specs are correct. I have heard it is about 900kg but just wondered if anyone has weighed their rig? I am not able to as my tow vehicle is off the road. Also is it a problem using a people mover as a tow vehicle especially if it has front wheel drive? Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
Ben
C18/137

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Tow weight of C18 Mk I and choice of tow vehicle

Postby maxm » Tue May 16, 2017 8:51 am

Hi Ben,

First off I better put in a disclaimer - I don't have any direct experience towing with a front wheel drive car so you should take what I'm about to say with a big dose of salt.

Having said that... You're wanting to tow a Mk I and the weight on the website (1200 kg) would be for a Mk III and the Mk I is much less. So you're well within the 1600 kg capacity of a Tarago. Now I'd argue that when Toyota stuck that 1600 kg capacity onto that vehicle, they're well aware that it is front wheel drive. They should also be aware that the day would come when the vehicle may need to tow that weight up a steep, wet hill in the rain and they'd generally expect it to be able to manage the job. A boat ramp isn't much different so my argument is that the manufacturer is saying that it should be OK to tow your boat.

In some respects I'd say you could be better off with front wheel drive. The times I've seen cars spinning wheels at the ramp have been because the wheels are in wet, slippery patches at the waters edge. That's more likely with a rear wheel drive car than it is with a front wheel drive.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for you help and advice. I decided on a Ford Falcon wagon (petrol) very simple to maintain and robust motor with huge storage at the back. Looking forward to getting tow hitch installed so I can be ready for the next careel cruise :)

Brian jellyman
Petty Officer

Postby Brian jellyman » Wed May 31, 2017 2:22 pm

I have had my Mk1 weighed (No 106)(84Kg centerboard)
This was with no outboard or mast, Just the bare boat.
Boat & Trailer = 860KG
Trailer only =380KG
Careel 18 #106
Thorneside.

Return to “General Discussion”