C18 Tips for buying.

Generally Sailing Talk
theboats
Ensign

C18 Tips for buying.

Postby theboats » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm looking at buying a C18 is there any things that are particular to C18 MK1 that I should look at. I've been sailing all my life and owned many trailer boats so I am mainly interested in Careel specific problems. I know there are two different keels on the Mk1 and will be looking for the one with heavier keel.

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Re: C18 Tips for buying.

Postby paul trotter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Tip of the day.....

Just buy one!

I've owned two!

C18 /26 Mark 1 circa 1970 'Wyuna' for 10 years
C18 /472 Mark III Continental circa late 1993
'Nellie' for three years and never selling (unless something physically prevents me from sailing).

Wyuna had no end of maintenance issuesas an older boat. Keel frozen in, rotten keel case, leaky pin but making improvements is half the fun. Much advice on this site.

I'll say it again.....just buy one! Life's too short to do otherwise!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:44 pm

theboats, these old boats are nearly bomb proof so there's usually not too many issues.

Specific to the C18 is that the keel pin will eventually wear or corrode and may become loose in the keel case. Replacing one of these is fiddly but can be done by the average bloke with some care. There are fairly long threads on this site that talk about how to go about doing it. If not tended to, this can cause another issue where water seeps into the ply stiffening in the keel case. Eventually the ply will go soft and rot so the keel case feels spongy. Again, fixing this is a mucky, tedious job but can be done. And again, there are threads on this site posted by other people that go through the entire process. The third one is more a nuisance than a problem is that the seal between topsides and hull can become brittle and fail. That means that in heavy weather with the gunnels under water, you can expect to get annoying water leaks coming in and wetting the bunks near the companionway. Again, fairly straightforward to fix.

Other than that, it's stuff that's common to most boats - corrosion of alloy components. Stainless steel bolts WILL corrode over time, especially where they go through decks. Stays do need to be replaced eventually. The outboards can last a long time on these boats provided they've been maintained.

But really, I reckon THE biggest single item that is often overlooked and needs close examination on these old boats is not the boat, it's the trailer. The trailer is a significant component of the cost of the boat.

Hope that helps.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Well put Max!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:26 am

Hi

my tip would be to buy this one https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/marcool ... 1140146209

Have sailed with this guy before ... a nice boat ... with newish sails ....

pretty good value I reckon ...

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Luka
Old Fart

Postby Luka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Mr Trotter,
When will you be upgrading your trailer?
Looked like you need an upgrade or do some work to do Nellie justice especially with the distance you travel.
Don't forget the load rating issue.
Luka
C18-466 / Druthers

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Yes Luka,

Keep an eye on happenings. It won't be new trailer but it might be a new under carriage. 13 inch wheels and things.
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

Return to “General Discussion”