Marley Point Over Night Race (MPONR)

Generally Sailing Talk
don47
Old Fart

Marley Point Over Night Race (MPONR)

Postby don47 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:16 am

Just alerting those so interested in this unique long distant event to get your entries in as the date is fast approaching.
Race enquiries: mponr@lakewellingtonyachtclub.org or phone Secretary 03 51472240.
A few Careels have already completed the paper work & to date make up about 25% of all entries (2x22 & 1x18) which is interesting but, that will change rapidly with the mixed fleet numbers that usually enter & take part.
I look forward to catching up with the Vic's who will again no doubt turn up with a number of 18's & 22's. I've heard Midnight is also to be a starter. Trust some others from NSW & even Qld will bother to take part.
I've entered Storm this year with wife Rob who is good crew. All I've got to do is not do anything to spill her wine should she get opportunity to pour a glass. We haven't done the Marley together before however, after resting up in Paynesville after the event do intend to cruise for a week or so downstream of Albury so long as weather & river conditions allow. That week or so will represent stage 1 of our Murray R adventure/s. :D :D
Last edited by don47 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don.

Mango
Ensign

Re: Marley Point Over Night Race (MPONR)

Postby Mango » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi Don,

This will be my 4th Marley with my Mark 1 C18 Mango Madness. I'm celebrating 30 years with the old girl this year who is going strong after a big dose of TLC this year (see the U-Tube videos on the Careel Facebook site).

The Marley is a fantastic race with every year a new experience with such variable weather conditions. Last year we finished around 6.30AM while the year before we scraped in just before the race cut off at 4.30PM!

Look forward to seeing you there! Cheers John

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:50 am

Yes John, you're dead right the Marley can present itself with any & all types of weather condition. It's probably what Forrest Gump would best describe as a box of chocolates in that you never know what your going to get.
However, it's a hell of a great adventure/experience long before you even start the race & well after you finish as you'd be aware.
I've only done a couple of Marley's before & immensely enjoyed both.
One we retired from due to a complete lack of breeze & a change in tide (we'd been steering the boat for most of the night with body weight in the tidal flow beforehand thru the strait & were in sight of its end) which didn't allow for us to get clear of the strait. A good number of competitors throw the pick overboard to hold position & wait for either breeze to fill in again or the tide to go back the other way. This is ok if you have time up your sleeve but, not any good if for example you need to be up the road somewhere that next evening. This year we've allowed for whatever condition & have booked a B&B at Paynesville for an after race stay over.
The other race we finished in a high position & thus appreciated an earlier pack up plus shower before swallowing a terrific feed of bacon/eggs at the Paynesville YC.
Some of the stories from the past itself concerning the event are terrifically interesting & inspiring. Numbers of entrant these days are not near as great as they were as back in the hey days of Trailer Sailing but it is to be hoped that this event will continue on well into the future as it deserves.
It won't be happening this season however, a further idea that has been raised for as far as Careels are concerned & to align the class/s with prominent events is to immediately prior the MPONR event itself reinstate a Victorian State Championship /Muster for both 18 & 22's to be held over a few days at perhaps Paynesville preferably. One could then motor, sail, cruise up thru the system for the commencement of the Marley.
Look forward to seeing you & other likeminded at Marley too John !
Don.

Mango
Ensign

Postby Mango » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi Don,

Sadly I've had to pull out of the Marley this year as my crew mate has a family issue come up that prevents him travelling - Bugger!

Hope you and the Careelers have a great race - I'll be back for the 50th.

Cheers,

John

C18/88 Mango Madness

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:03 pm

That's tough luck John. Hope all ok shortly.
We about to depart for Marley but we have change of plan to due to family / work matters & thus have to delay Murray week.
May see at B2B in May.
Don.

Mango
Ensign

Postby Mango » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Don,

I followed the race of facebook, not bad with all boats home by 11AM. Current must have been flowing the right way down the straits.

Hope you had a great race!

I'm all set for the upcoming Bay2Bay.

Cheers,

John

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Ta John.
We had a pretty decent time of it after a late start due to a dud battery which was affecting our Nav lights.
The breeze changed around plenty in both direction & strength over the course.
The strait was quite with gentle flow.
We managed to finish 2nd on adjusted time.
Don.

Mango
Ensign

Postby Mango » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi Don, Well done!

I was gutted to miss the race this year. Hope to meet up with you at the Bay2Bay.

Cheers,

John

Return to “General Discussion”