Warning on using this open forum

Generally Sailing Talk
IanLee
Old Fart

Warning on using this open forum

Postby IanLee » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:17 am

This site is an open forum that can be accessed by anybody. It has been made this way to promote Careel use and fellowship. In this it has shown good results as evidenced by the very active Queensland group. Because the site is open, we must all take particular care to not post anything that we wouldn't want to have seen by anybody or that we wouldn't want to have appear on the front page of tomorrow's newspaper. Equally, don't take as gospel any suggestions, advice or information you may read here. Instead use your own judgement to work out what systems, methods and equipment will work best with your boat usage. This warning would apply equally if the site were made more difficult to access by such methods as passwords. If the US Pentagon can't stop hackers getting into its secure military communications, how can we? This post is not intended to spark off another line of discussion but to stand as caution to us all.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

IanLee
Old Fart

Re: Warning on using this open forum

Postby IanLee » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:25 pm

IanLee wrote:This site is an open forum that can be accessed by anybody. .

Please also note that you should not directly quote your email address in posts to this site. Don't say on reply to that ad for a $500 Careel: "Please reply to me at patsy@spam.com" as spammers have auto programs that harvest emails and then try to sell you methods of increasing the size of your .. er boat. Instead do something like: Reply to p a t s y AT s p a m dot com (delete spaces, replace AT with @, dot with . This will allow genuine repliers to email you but will prevent (I hope) auto spam programs harvesting your address and making your life a misery. Well. perhaps I would like a sure fire way to get a bigger .. er .. boat!
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

ClaytonLee
Runs the place

Postby ClaytonLee » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:33 pm

It probably would be sufficient to make it

getabiggerboat AT spammer DOT com DOT au
If you haven't already, you should check out "Posting and You"

Return to “General Discussion”