GOOD POSITION FOR NEW YEARS EVE ON SYDNEY HARBOUR ???

Generally Sailing Talk
Stink Boat Bob
Captain

GOOD POSITION FOR NEW YEARS EVE ON SYDNEY HARBOUR ???

Postby Stink Boat Bob » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Can anyone recommend a good spot to see the crackers (isnt that an old term?) on Sydney Harbour for NYE?

I am after someplace where we can sleep over, have a swim, sit on the beach for a change and still see the show without being swamped and tossed around all night.

East or west of the bridge doesnt matter.

Recommendations anyone?
Boats...nearly better than beer...

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:00 am

I've only done it once. There are plenty of good spots but regardless of where you are, you'll find that about 2 minutes after the fireworks stop there'll be 10,000 motor boats will up anchor and buzz past you at high speed. It's like being in a washing machine for the next few hours. Best plan is to move somewhere else after the fireworks.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:13 am

Only did it once, sat off Birchgrove Point, which was very good. Excellent view of the fireworks but not as crowded or crazy as the favoured eastern side of the bridge. Max is right, traffic turns the harbour into a washing machine until about half an hour before the first and second fireworks. Within five minutes of the finish, it is back to being a washing machine. Now, assuming you did not pull out the CB, lowering it while at anchor does help stablise the boat. Keep watch while anchored because few of the people around you will have the slightest idea how and where to anchor for safety.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:45 am

Bob and anyone else thinking about going to one of the harbour special events. You might want to have a read through this document (around 3 MB)

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/pub ... ts2010.pdf

It has details of the exclusion zone, when it operates, areas not permitted for anchoring, etc. for NYE, the Sydney to Hobart and a few other events.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Stink Boat Bob
Captain

Postby Stink Boat Bob » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Max,

Thanks for that. I have read that before. What I am after is local knowledge. Someone who has done it a few times and done it well. I am taking the Princess up for the first time and I want it to be pretty good for her because if it is good for her there will be good times for me with lots of boating. I mean......its good on the water with my brother Doug....but he is not all that cuddly and smells funny.

I am after a good spot, shallow water, protected and good enough to stay there all night. I dont wanto have to move the boat, even a short distance, after I have had a few sherberts.

Need help here fellas.

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:52 pm

My suggestion would be Birkenhead Point, deepish water, overnight and then wander to other areas next morning. You could try Cobblers then but there is a dress code.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

Pete C
Old Fart

Postby Pete C » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Forget all the hussle and bussle Bob, join us at the Myall Lakes.
You'll have much more fun :D

Pete
TAZ

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:35 am

Here's a plan I've always had at the back of my mind for NYE. Note that I haven't tried it so it comes with no guarantees! But it should be OK, especially for a first time out overnight. The plan would be to settle at the beach next to Drummoyne Sailing Club here at Salton Reserve (click me to see)

The advantages:
  • Low tide is at midnight. There is a nice sandy beach there. Which means you can anchor off the beach, let the boat settle on the sand during the lead-up to NYE, watch the fireworks and then during the worst of the washing machine phase, you'll be high and dry on the beach. The tide will be back in by morning in plenty of time to head off.
  • You have a fully functional club next door. So you have access to toilets for much of the night (big bonus points from the missus) and possibly even showers depending on what time the club closes/opens.
  • You'll have excellent views of the fireworks from the western barge
  • No need to move
  • No chance of being run into by some drunken yobbo at any time because you're between two stone walls :twisted:

The disadvantages:
  • The club could be noisy with general yahooing
  • You won't seen much of the fireworks from further down river or on the bridge
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:42 am

I should add... the nice sandy beach turns into muddy muck at some point so whether you get mud or sand depends on how far out you anchor. Regardless of which you get, I'd wear shoes if getting out of the boat to guard against glass etc.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Stink Boat Bob
Captain

Postby Stink Boat Bob » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:08 pm

Thanks to all who offered suggestions about NYE.

I ended up spending three nights and four days on the water with Jenny coming up on Friday morning. I had a look around on the Thursday and couldnt believe there were boats in place already. Athol Bight (near the Zoo) was a joke with lots of big blocks of flats floating around. Farm Cove was also a joke. I ended up at Double Bay in a beatiful little cove in about two metres of clear water and sandy bottom. The scenery was great, swimming terrific, fireworks brilliant but the only problem was noise coming from the lunatics onshore. We slept here overnight but I wouldnt do this again as the swell was a bit annoying.

My brother Doug, fellow Careel owner, turned up late Friday afternoon and an incredible thing happened. After travelling up from Kissing Point under motor (about 25kms) he pulled up right beside my boat and his propellor chose that exact moment to fall off! Doug, being Doug, used a few choice words before going over the side with a snorkell and mask and was soon joined by other boaties nearby. They found it and Doug jigged up some way to keep it on and was able to motor all the way back the next morning.

I really enjoy being on the harbour at any time but around New Year will be a no-no from now on. The number of nasty, thoughtless dopes flying around in large cruisers was stunning. All they have to do is have a look behind them at the damage and discomfort to others they are causing.

We had a bit of exitement on Saturday morning when we were motoring over to Wooloomooloo when........we ran out of fuel. (Greg, the fuel gauge doesnt work properly)

We were able to flag down a passing stink boat full of lovely people from Narellan who were only too happy to tow us is into the wharf. But all of us were gob smacked to be told by some clown cleaning a boat that we were not permitted to land there or we would be arrested by the security guards for trespassing, regardless of our situation.

It must have something to do with the amount of money you have because we encountered more rudeness when we finally made our way (after getting a couple of litres of fuel from the Loo servo) to the Rushcutters Bay Marina fuel bowsers. Just because you have a big boat doesnt mean you dont have to use manners. The behaviour of people on two different boats there was terrible. If this type of behaviour was tried at most of the normal ramps that I go to the person displaying the lack of manners would be quickly up-ended by any number of bystanders.

On a plus note any boaties visiting Sydney Harbour must visit the Mosman Rowers. Tie up at the Boy Scouts wharf out the front and go in for a beer and a feed. There are also plenty of spare moorings near the sailing sheds next door for an overnighter.

Happy New Year to all.

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi Bob

Sounds like a nice few days ... good stuff

Stink Boat Bob wrote:We had a bit of exitement on Saturday morning when we were motoring over to Wooloomooloo when........we ran out of fuel. (Greg, the fuel gauge doesnt work properly)

Happy New Year to all.

Imagine if you had your rig set up you could have just hoisted the sails and off you go no need to put up with fuel Nazis and the like ... I think there is a lesson here

Sorry Bob just couldn't resist :D :D

happy new year
Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Stink Boat Bob
Captain

Postby Stink Boat Bob » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:51 pm

I led with my chin there and knew it was only a matter of time before one of you rag and stick blokes put the slipper in.

Doug
Ensign

Postby Doug » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Told you to learn how to sail.

Stink Boat Bob
Captain

Postby Stink Boat Bob » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 am

Not my own brother for c'sakes!!!

Drifter
Captain

Re: GOOD POSITION FOR NEW YEARS EVE ON SYDNEY HARBOUR ???

Postby Drifter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi All,

Sorry to drag up an old thread. My circumstances look like they are changing for new years/Christmas season this year. I don't think I will be able to make it to the Myalls for New Years and looking at going out on Sydney Harbour. Does anyone else have advice on good spots? I live on the north shore so would prefer somewhere on the northern bank of the harbour and would like to be able to see the bridge and harbour fireworks. I am thinking of spending a few days out a day or two before and after the main event to try and take the stress out of things. I am guessing using my dad's fibreglass three person dinghy would make it easier for a few friends and family to come aboard and avoid loosing my anchoring position. Does anyone have advice on towing a fiberglass three person dinghy when under sail or motor? I am considering doing a trial of towing the dinghy at the sydney harbour cruise in November to sort out the issues before half of sydney is on the water. Thanks everyone in advance.

Cheers,
Drifter
C18/137

Return to “General Discussion”