C18 Class rules

Generally Sailing Talk
jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Thu May 28, 2009 12:32 pm

feel free to protest me at the next nationals.
Katrina C18/200

peter connor
Old Fart

Postby peter connor » Thu May 28, 2009 2:59 pm

James

Not on your pink nelly.

Keep using those deck mounted adjustment devices, I am.

Regards

Peter Connor
C18/370
The Smooth

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:14 pm

GUYS,GUYS,GUYS, settle, look at me, look at me !!!! All this rule stuff started up because I dared to be contrary.You won't find me contrary when and where it matters most. Also, we all realise there's a few others, who'd like for example a better mainsheet system, ah, Peter!!
Peter, the note in the rule book may infer what you suspect. However, re - running rigging, read carefully. The rule book isn't all that clear, cut and dry. All of us need to again read carefully /search the whole thing to make sure you have all your required info / rules. Some of the recommended matter is actually regulation these days and the same applies to the comment section.It even has an untitled handy hints rear page. It would be nice if all relevant C18 matter was in it's own section and the same for C22. Maybe it's time for an update. I'm sure the book was written a long time ago and it probably could have been better put together.
Also , does everyone realise that we don't actually have a designated Class Measurer ?
Don.

jamesw

Postby jamesw » Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 pm

we don't actually have a designated Class Measurer ?

ssshhhhhhhh !!!

but I'd suggest that with the longevity of the association there's a goodly number of members that'd be able to fully measure your boat with a single glance!!

it's actually quite a significant thing that over the decades there's not really much that can be done to significantly change the performance of these boats other than things that are really obvious (such as kites etc).

Back in the day when Pam Rose used to start the races from Sandy Beach and have to take down the numbers of 30 odd boats competing every week!! I guess that most would have tried stuff and have been well and truly sorted. Why is there a 5hp outboard rule? because (reputedly) Ross Fehlburg used to navigate Katrina out to the course with a 2hp outboard wheezing away. The class rules that require ob's to be attached to the transom (and keels were down and locked) were there well before the YA regs did the same - read the write up about Katrina (yes, my boat) turtling in the early 80's- when the ob was in the cabin and the keel was UP !! Michael James remembers this - he wasn't allowed to go with Dad - lucky him!

Interestingly, look at the pic at the top, almost every mainsail is slightly different, even Glen's boat and Don's boat (433 and 47) from the same sailmaker are slightly different but I'd put money on all of them measuring ok. The Genoa only has two measurements, luff length and LP (Luff Perpendicular) which allows the clew to be in different places - genoas are pretty much the same. The stay/babystay format means that you can't fiddle with sail angles either.

J
Katrina C18/200

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:19 pm

The Careel has stood the test of time obviously very well and does have a solid format and design. I guess that's basically the big reason why we don't have a measurer James, we simply haven't the big need. Like you say there aint much you can fiddle with or alter to change the performance, be it with the hull, rig or the sails. Excepting naturally, our own personal skill and fitness levels, which I need to work on.

I wasn't aware that your bloke had been upside down,obviously all the water is out.
Regards
Don.

peter connor
Old Fart

Postby peter connor » Fri May 29, 2009 9:45 am

OK Cath oh sorry Don.

I will see you with a transom pulley in February if I can get grand approval beforehand.

Otherwise I will have to do the crossover hand shuffle.

Thanks for your comments James.

Regards

Peter Connor
C18/370
The Smooth

jamesw

Postby jamesw » Fri May 29, 2009 11:35 am

Katrina C18/200

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:20 pm

The Smooth PETER,
Yes, given no measurer, I guess you'll need to contact the National Organisers to gain that grand approval, before you pay for fittings and drill holes. You may require a new longer mainsheet. It'll be an interesting case, especially if in fact that note is in play and not just a statement of supply.
Don.

peter connor
Old Fart

Postby peter connor » Fri May 29, 2009 2:43 pm

Don

I already have the fittings and longer mainsheet.

I sailed with them in the 2008 national series. We had end boom sheeting, but sheeted back along the boom and down to a pulley on the cockpit floor.

Worked like a charm, very comfortable and effective. We just don't use it while crusing. The pulleys are mounted on tracks and are stored in the cabin when not in use.

So we have already used them in a national titles and no one said a thing about it.

Regards

Peter Connor
C18/370
The Smooth

jamesw

Postby jamesw » Fri May 29, 2009 3:03 pm

disagree Don, as long as the mainsheet ONLY attaches to the end of the boom then Peter can lead it anywhere he wants - maybe the Bowman can handle it - or someone sitting on the potti - like a tank commander!
Katrina C18/200

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Wooooo James,
Would not have enjoyed that ride,shows how strong the rig was, did it survive the rescue. Imagine being in the cab with the motor!! I guess there were many cuts and bruises on the occasion, minimum ! Scarey experience!!
Thanks for the article.

I know, I know, everyone has a story, but Katrina's mishap reminds me of:
about 1994, Son and I, Lake Cootharaba. Qld. NS14. states. on very broad reach, hanging on for dear life, hit from broad behind with what must have been double excessive, which scooped us up. We dropped out and the boat was deposited some distance away in 2 mtes of water, rig was totalled.
Don.

pdandy
Old Fart

Postby pdandy » Fri May 29, 2009 3:24 pm

jamesw wrote:disagree Don, as long as the mainsheet ONLY attaches to the end of the boom then Peter can lead it anywhere he wants - maybe the Bowman can handle it - or someone sitting on the potti - like a tank commander!

not as silly as it sounds, james. With the standard set up I can operate the mainsheet from in the cabin with the autotiller on remote....

All this talk about measurers has me worried. A mate in the explorer club had to travel 5 hours to get his new sails measured - apparently there is one person who spoils it for everyone. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would decide never to race if you put hurdles like that in the way.
noelex 25
previously c18 no 459

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:42 pm

J.
I think its more than likely ok as well. Peter has a question on it. It won't hurt to ask that question. Where there is some confusion, ask, be sure. Trust that potti doesn't fall onto the tank commander !!!!!
Don.

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:18 pm

pdandy,
don't get me wrong buddy, I never said , we NEED a measurer. I would not like the situation where every little thing has to be approved by the likes of one necessarily either. Pain in the ....... that would certainly be. There are also officals that can also help answer our questions. James does alot of it because I guess he likes to and I don't have a problem with that either, he is a good man for it.
Don.

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Fri May 29, 2009 5:31 pm

Good comment Don, it think it ties in with what I like to consider the spirit of our racing, we go as hard as we can but are not racing for the Americas Cup.

Quite afew years back, a couple of the top guys wanted to take away virtually all restrictions, thankfully this was thrown out as I reckon all out/professional style racing would ruin our class and drive most of the sailors away. As James pointed out, any Careel ever built can still win the nationals and the biggest bank account is not required to take the cup.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

Return to “General Discussion”