Buhawi Boys Photos Missing

Generally Sailing Talk
paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Buhawi Boys Photos Missing

Postby paul trotter » Fri May 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Sorry Don,

In the latest Careel News I fear we may not have paid our friends from Raymond Terrace enough attention!

Cookie and I didn't get any shots of their boat and so they are conspicous by their absence in the newsletter! They were just too damn fast!

I'm hoping Don we get to see more of you and Lloyd at the Nationals or even Grafton for the Careel State of Origin Series that we need to investigate.

It would also good to hear some stories from the Bay to bay from their perspective (up the front)!

We also didn't see enough of them over the weekend.

They anchored solo on the Friday night.

We lost them on the second night at Garry's and Lloyd was keen on an early night.

We sat with them at the presentations on Sunday but couldn't really talk!

The matter needs to be fixed at the next regatta!

Go the Buhawi Boys!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

Drewy
Ensign

Postby Drewy » Sat May 16, 2009 12:10 pm

Don't worry Don and Loyd.

It's the last name that foils him.

I get left out ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!

A bit of QLD Careel trivia. Did you know that Paul refers to all of the QLD Careeling Sisters as "Fay"

We have a Kaye, a Gay and a Fay, and with our last name of Ray I think it is all too much for our illustrious Admiral.

He is still a decent bloke though!!!
Sails with Careels

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:42 pm

TROTTS.

What !! No photos of the Buhawi Boys, unforgivable!!
This is however, not totally correct, I've seen a couple, of us rigging and preparing for a start line. We'll let you and Cookie off this time, but don't let this occur again in the future, O.K.!!!!! No action shots, bloody hell !!!!!!
Us , Ray boys can handle almost anything though, we have broad shoulders. Drewy knows that and will confirm same. No action shots , bloody hell !!!!!!!
Terrific event that BAY to BAY. All you other 18s and 22s, get prepared for the 30th running. The big winds, the no winds, the tides, the sand banks,the rain squalls, the waves and the surfing, the beautiful scenery, the colorful kites caressing the water and then flogging as the boats crew struggle to regain control. You don't even get a chance to think about the Croc's!! Almost made it sound bad, haven't I, well don't be fooled, it's fantastic and very exciting !!! The blowout on the front right was equally as exciting, 20 mins from home,half way passed a semi in the darkness of the night. Marley, won't phase us next year!!!
Peter. c. missed a beer with you at the HBSC as well.
Don.

Pete C
Old Fart

Postby Pete C » Sat May 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Peter. c. missed a beer with you at the HBSC as well

Sorry about that Don, I'll definately catch up with you for a beer another time.

Pete
TAZ

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:14 am

PETER.C.
What Elliot did you say you were on and how did you finish up?

Go to www.julesmarineart.com for hundreds of photos of B2B.
Careel photos locted in Div.4, mixed and also finish sections.
Some great action ( bloody hell ) shots here! Trotts / Cookie
couldn't take em', tooooo far behind, come on Trotts !
Don.

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Tue May 26, 2009 10:17 am

welcome to the forum Don.

James
Katrina C18/200

peter connor
Old Fart

Postby peter connor » Tue May 26, 2009 11:13 am

For the Don

Good to see the photos.

Looks like you beat some bigger boats on scratch and had ots of fun.

Am I mistaken, but can I see a main sheeting system that involves a pulley located along the middle of the boom.

Have you departed from the traditional Careel boom sheeting system that was invented by the ancient Egyptions and hasn't changed since.

Good to see you have opted for a much safer and a dynamic system that gives good responsiveness and stops hands and arms being crossed over and body contorted.

This may be a good system to adopt for the Nationals to make for better sailing. Hmmmmm.

PS in my view your system is still end boom sheeting and as such should be compliant with the rules.

Regards

Peter Connor
C18/370
The Smooth

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Tue May 26, 2009 1:33 pm

I dont think that sheeting method is legal for Careel class racing
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

jamesw

Postby jamesw » Tue May 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Ian, you really should start coming to the Nationals again. It was made clear by Glenn in the briefing that end boom sheeting was the rule and that anything else would be dimly viewed. He also mentioned trapeze for some odd reason!

I guess after nearly forty years there's some resistance to change and I guess nobody really wants to go to the effort to change the rules.

At least we don't have the problem that the RL24 class does. I noticed that there are cbh ratings for about four different types, drop keel, swing keel with or without the skiff rigs. In the Maricat class there's a different rating for six different types (cat, sloop, super sloop for both foam and non foam construction).

Me? I was raised on end boom sheeting, the Enterprise and GP14 both had it. The GP14 moved to central sheeting which just made crewing more uncomfortable. Does have the tendency to drag you backwards though.
Katrina C18/200

jamesw

Postby jamesw » Tue May 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Ian, you really should start coming to the Nationals again. It was made clear by Glenn in the briefing that end boom sheeting was the rule and that anything else would be dimly viewed. He also mentioned trapeze for some odd reason!

I guess after nearly forty years there's some resistance to change and I guess nobody really wants to go to the effort to change the rules.

At least we don't have the problem that the RL24 class does. I noticed that there are cbh ratings for about four different types, drop keel, swing keel with or without the skiff rigs. In the Maricat class there's a different rating for six different types (cat, sloop, super sloop for both foam and non foam construction).

Me? I was raised on end boom sheeting, the Enterprise and GP14 both had it. The GP14 moved to central sheeting which just made crewing more uncomfortable. Does have the tendency to drag you backwards though.
Katrina C18/200

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:42 pm

James.
Thanks for the welcome. I noted that you were wandering about the results of the B2B. Lets just say that Lloyd and I chose to reflect on what a great sail the event is. We did manage 30 plus mins. lead on Dave Dowling and Mr Trotter ,they both enjoyed a close battle as I understand.

Peter. The Smooth.
Yes, Pete we beat a number of the bigger boats home. Caught many in the last 5 K's or so, all with their kites down and 2 sailing like us. It was blowy, rough and a bit of a handful, but great fun none the less. The boat did a lot of humming and there were some good waves to surf.
Re - sheeting off the centre of the boom. Some don't and won't agree with you Pete!
For mine, boats are safer and far more controllable , when the main can be either pulled on or eased quickly should it be necessary to do so. Sheeting from the end to finally the centre of the boom also gives a much more comfortable angle to do this and work the main. For some of the above reasons you won't find a cleat on my main either. Start lines are busy places , especially in breeze, with big fleets and I for one, don't want to either cause damage or receive damage simply because I or someone couldn't act or act fast enough.
There is no real mechanical or other advantages to be had by sheeting off the centre of the boom either, that's a nonsence. It's simply a more comfortable directional pull or ease for the skipper.We are talking of after all, only adding another pulley on the boom after the end boom system. If you were sheeting from the cockpit floor however, well that's a different matter.
Regards,
Don.

Pete C
Old Fart

Postby Pete C » Thu May 28, 2009 9:50 pm

Hey Don,

I'm not sure of where we ended up.
We stuffed up big time going to the finish on the Saturday while running 2nd - 3rd :roll:

I was on Woof / Benny's World - E7/#58

Yes there are plenty of great pics from www.julesmarineart.com

I'll be back next year for sure :D

It was a quick ride on Sunday

Pete
TAZ

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:44 pm

Pete,
How ya going, nice couple of shots there, looks like you had some good rides. What happened near the finish ? I like your jackets, we were wearing the same, seem comfortable enough.
Regards
Don.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Thu May 28, 2009 11:33 pm

... and keeping up those crucial levels of vitamin VB, I see! :D
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Pete C
Old Fart

Postby Pete C » Fri May 29, 2009 8:39 pm

Don,
We were heading to what appeared to be the finish line just on the fringe of the 25 knot rain squall that went through.
We dropped the chut and probably cracked another beer before realising our finish was a few hundred meters further down :roll:

The jackets are just the standard Burke PFD1 Manual Inflatable Life Jackets which I think at the start of July? the jackets become/need to be a Newton rating? eg 150N for your average one.

At Gary's we were rafted up to a houseboat (mothership) with about another 7 - 8 Elliots. The houseboat had all our supplies which made for a very enjoyable occasion - sort of like one big party :)

Yes Max, there is always plenty of amber sports drinks available to quench your thirst on the boat :D

Pete
TAZ

Return to “General Discussion”