Bought a Careel in Queensland? Join the CCYA

Generally Sailing Talk
paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Bought a Careel in Queensland? Join the CCYA

Postby paul trotter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Careels seem to be coming up to Queensland in droves.

If you are new to this forum and have just bought a Careel please think about joining our Queensland fleet. Like our NSW and Victorian cousins we now have an active fleet in Queensland with over 20 boats on our regular e-mail list.

You have obviously bought your Careel for many of the right reasons but being part of the association and Queensland Fleet gives you another dimension to trailer sailing.

Here are 10 good reasons for letting me - Paul Trotter (CCYA Moreton Bay Captain) know of your presence in Queensland so I can get you on the list and keep you informed of up and coming events.

1. Company - being on the water with like minded Careel friends is a lot of fun.
2. Cruising - our fleet travels all around South East Queensland in all kinds of water ways. Cruises are loosely structured so people can enjoy as much of or as little of the other Careel company as they like. We have on average between 6-9 boats regularly participating
3. Racing - In Queensland we now have a racing fleet based at Lake Samsonvale and hold an Autumn and Spring racing series - we have six boats participating
4. The Queensland Careel News - reports on recent racing and cruisers and tips on sailing are all found in this amazing publication available on this site - look at the number of hits or downloads to see how popular this publication has become.
5. The People - we have a mixture of all types in the club including some non Careelers (other trailer sailer people) who love our company. We have old crusty types, families, couples and lots of kids participating. We are a very inclusive mob and enjoy eachothers company on and off the water.
6. The Qld Diary - also found on this site is a regular program of events so you can include in your diary. Print out and put on the fridge. The diary also explains how to get to the location and join in.
7. Help - I had a mob of guys just turn up at my place and refit my entire boat trailer with new wheel bearings to get me down to Lake Macquarie in 2007, just because I wanted my boat to compete in the Nationals (just amazing)
8. Advice - While this site provides some great tips if you want to crew on someone's boat to learn the ropes or you would like someone to run their eye over your boat - you will always find welcome assistance.
9. Photography - we all seem to take cameras with us and take some tremendous photographs of eachothers boats and then share them. My computer is full of some fantastic shots of my family and crew on C18 26 Wyuna.
10. The Nonsense - This group doesn't take life too seriously and the banter on this site and on the water is just fantastic.

So if this all sounds good then just drop me a line at 'ptrotter' at 'bigpond' dot 'net' dot 'au' and we will get you on the list and involved.

My goal is to get at least 50 boats registered and participating in Queensland.
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

shef
Land Lubber

Looking to buy a Careel 18 in Queensland

Postby shef » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi, I have decided to buy a Careel 18 and join your club, looks great! I live in Cooroy on the Sunshine Coast. Looked at #440 in Tin Can Bay and #429 on the Gold Coast today and just have to make up my mind. One of them needs a new trailer, any ideas where I could get one or what they would cost?
Shef

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:51 pm

New trailer probably 3k 3.5k, don't know where in Qld but Tracer in NSW makes the works trailers.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

shef
Land Lubber

Postby shef » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Gee thanks Ian, that was quick!
Shef

Oldsailor
Captain

I found my Careel in QLD - and promptly towed it home to Vic

Postby Oldsailor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:02 am

Don't mean to sound petty - but couldn't resist the temptation!!! Had to travel to Brisbane 'cos that seemed to be the only place I could get a C22.
Scarce as hens teeth - as the old saying goes. Needs a lotta TLC plus a few other things but as a new and highly enthusiastic Careeler I am rarin' to lavish her with whatever she demands ( just don't let the CEO know I said that !!) I understand she was originally from Vic. so it is only right and just that she returns home.
There's absolutely nothing beats just bummin' around in boats!!
WAZZA

Taniwha C22/60

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Starlight Express

Postby paul trotter » Wed May 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Let me guess...

You stole Starlight Express?

Cheers
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

Oldsailor
Captain

Starlight Express - Not !!

Postby Oldsailor » Fri May 08, 2009 9:18 am

Don't think my 22 was ever known as Starlight Express. Not completely clear on it's history but do know that it was originally from Melbourne and was then called Rebecca Leigh. It was taken to Brisbane but, as I understand it, was never sailed ??? There were so many holes in both the brokers and the owners stories I could have drained my pasta !! However the boat appears sound and I just love a good project. She floats, she sails reasonably well and mother thinks she's great !! - a win win situation
Wazza
There's absolutely nothing beats just bummin' around in boats!!

WAZZA

Taniwha C22/60

Ukuri
Old Fart

Postby Ukuri » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:37 am

Hello to all on the forum.
This is my first post here but I have been hanging about reading all the posts avidly. My reason for this activity is that I intend to join the ranks of enlightened Careel owners and to that end I am having a test sail tomorrow at Redland Bay. The boat in question is a 22 Long Cabin but I am not sure of the number. The vendor tells me that he has had it for 4 years and is selling because he has moved to a 32' keeler. Prior to this it only had 2 previous custodians, the first for 19 years and was originally named Alyth he thinks. There is a plaque on the compression post that says it was a class winner in the inaugral Hervey Bay classic in 1981. It is in fantastic condition having always been kept undercover and the price is good. If anyone knows anything about this one and can help me I would be most grateful. With any luck all will go well tomorrow and I will soon be able to join your ranks. I am in Hamilton Bris. and look forward to seeing you on the water.
Cheers,
Chris eldridge

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:04 am

Don't know this boat but you could phone David Rose. He seems to have a telepathic (osmotic?) awareness of where his boats get to. the sail/hull number is the best ID.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

Ronandju
Petty Officer

Re: Bought a Careel in Queensland? Join the CCYA

Postby Ronandju » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Paul,
Just sent you an email, our boat is a 22 called Champagne Baby, we have ripped the swing keel out and started on making a new trailer, I'll post some pics when i work out how to do that.We are based on the Gold Coast.

Kind Regards

Ron Middleton

leeweir
Ensign

Re: Bought a Careel in Queensland? Join the CCYA

Postby leeweir » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:42 am

G'day Paul, so to join we need to print and post the form? Printer not talking to computer presently! Thanks, Lee

Return to “General Discussion”