cleaning topsides

Generally Sailing Talk
pdandy
Old Fart

cleaning topsides

Postby pdandy » Sun May 11, 2008 6:34 pm

well, I'm back to asking noobie questions.
Can I use the acid based cleaners on the topsides and if not what can I use?

When I bought the boat last year I got all enthusiastic about cleaning it and attacked the hull with some polish - I got about 1/4 of one side done and decided sailing was more fun than cleaning..... All was going well until a few hints where followed by a demonstration of how easy (and effective) an acid based gelcoat repair formula is. Naturally a clean hiull then needed polishing.....Trouble is I now have a nice shiny hull but a grotty mess above the rubbing rails. It used to look clean on the topside!

So, can I use the acid wash on the topsides or do I have to use elbow grease?
noelex 25
previously c18 no 459

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Sun May 11, 2008 7:40 pm

Try 30 Seconds. I nearly burnt the tops of my fingers off!! Just started using it and got stuck in! Use the standard mix - either 4 or 2:1 - your fingers smell like you've been cleaning the pool for a long while.

It works though, very very well. After five years of ownership and trying all sorts of different stuff I was very happy with the outcome. Use plenty of water to wash it all off though!

I used a green pad - use it on the hull too to strip off all the old waxy rubbish, down to the matt gelcoat - THEN put cut and polish on with a supercheap polisher - THEN polish it off - THEN use something like Ronstan polish preserver.

It all fades after a short while but it's worth the effort. When you come to the Nats next year look at Michael James' boat - very very nice, particularly given that it had layers of antifoul previously.

J
Katrina C18/200

pdandy
Old Fart

Postby pdandy » Sun May 11, 2008 8:50 pm

jamesw wrote:Try 30 Seconds. I nearly burnt the tops of my fingers off!! Just started using it and got stuck in! Use the standard mix - either 4 or 2:1 - your fingers smell like you've been cleaning the pool for a long while.

It works though, very very well. After five years of ownership and trying all sorts of different stuff I was very happy with the outcome. Use plenty of water to wash it all off though!

I used a green pad - use it on the hull too to strip off all the old waxy rubbish, down to the matt gelcoat - THEN put cut and polish on with a supercheap polisher - THEN polish it off - THEN use something like Ronstan polish preserver.

It all fades after a short while but it's worth the effort. When you come to the Nats next year look at Michael James' boat - very very nice, particularly given that it had layers of antifoul previously.

J

james, when I search for 30 seconds I get a range of cleaners - which one are you talking about?

Does this mean I can't use the acid based gelcoat restorer?

And are you telling me I also need to use a polish preserver?!!!? Whatever happened to "maintenance free fibreglass" (quoted from the original sales brochure)
noelex 25

previously c18 no 459

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Mon May 12, 2008 9:11 am

This stuff: http://www.30seconds.com.au/product_odc.html

I got mine in Bunnings. It's basically chlorine, certainly smells like it.

I guess your gel coat cleaner would be the same. One of the Maricat guys suggested it.

I did nothing else on the deck when I did mine.

The Polyprep product I used before probably does the same as your gelcoat restorer - it is probably acid based although it didn't hurt when I spilled it but essentially it takes all the layers of polish and wax off leaving the gelcoat with a matt surface. With oxydised gelcoat like mine you go another layer to get rid of the oxidised areas then you start polishing etc.

The Ronstan polish preserver is almost zero effort, very easy to apply.

J
Katrina C18/200

Oldsailor
Captain

Cleaning the Hull

Postby Oldsailor » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi guys,
will this stuff get rid of "shadows" from old letters/numbers. The condition of the hull is not too bad - reasonably shiny - so I don't want to strip it back too far unless absolutely necessary
There's absolutely nothing beats just bummin' around in boats!!
WAZZA

Taniwha C22/60

pdandy
Old Fart

Postby pdandy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:19 pm

this was covered recently on tsp (trailer sairer place), it sounded like the shadows are new quality gelcoat so even if you polish the rest of the boat to match they will fade at a different rate and you'll be back where you started eventually. (hmm ,maybee hit it with a suntan light for a few weeks to simulate 20 years in the sun? )

In answer to my original question - I cleaned one side of the topsides using an acid based restorer last year - it worked well but then I realised that waxing wasn't going to be easy... a year later both sides pretty much look the same. I'll go back to sailing rather than cleaning (at least until it's time to sell her....)
noelex 25

previously c18 no 459

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Watch the polishing on the topsides .. nearly shot the daughter off the foredeck on a tack after I had cleaned and polished.

At a boat show a few years back, household Jiff cleaner samples were being given out as a deck cleaner. I tried it and it gives a good result and unlike any polish product, does not make it slippery.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

Jim & Margaret
Old Fart

Postby Jim & Margaret » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:03 am

'Exitmould' from Woollies, works very well too for getting rid of the black mould that forms in the anti skid. It's chlorine based so I use rubber gloves to stop my fingers from dropping off.

Jim.
C18/455 'Jabiru'
"If you're a friend of the captain, you can wipe your hands on the sail"

Drifter
Captain

Re: cleaning topsides

Postby Drifter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi All,

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I am back on the bandwagon of trying to spruce up my old careel! Teak oiling is not all done and I top it up each time I am out but now my attention has turned to the hull. As with any old careel she has some scratches etc. I am not looking to turn her into a showroom piece with full sand down, respray etc but just would like to clean up the hull. There was a tin of boat wax on the boat when I bought it, not sure if I should use a restorer or even the all in one products or if I should just leave it alone? Also the blue line at the waterline could do with re painting. Is it best to do this before or after cleaning the hull? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Cheers,
Ben
Drifter C18/137

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:14 am

Ben

I am at a similar stage of the restoration as you. I have wet sanded the hull and cabin with 1200 grit wet & dry sandpaper and used Ronstan Boat Smart Extra Cut and then Super Fine polish which has brought the hull up great.

The waterline stripe we have wet sanded back to a smooth surface ready for painting in the next few weeks. (I have not completely removed all the paint back to original gelcoat but the surface is smooth with no bumps).
It is probably best to paint the stripe on the hull first before you polish the boat, otherwise you will need to clean any trace of polish off the hull where you want to paint. (I polished the hull first and now have to clean the hull with acetone of similar to get rid of the polish in that area.)

The teak work has been lightly sanded and cleaned with a scrubbing brush and car wash, then oiled with Organoil Garden Furniture Oil (Marine Grade) which has come up brilliant. (This oil is 100% natural and very similar to a product I used on my last Careel 15 years ago. It is fantastic and does not turn the teak black as some oils do.)

Message me if you want further info.

Good luck

Warwick
C18-226

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks for your reply. I guess I hate to do anything that could damage my boat. I was wondering if Ijust use the gelcoat restorer thingo or even just wax it the way it is for the time being? Not sure if I am being too simple minded with this.

Cheers,
Ben

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:11 am

Ben

I just washed the boat with some heavy duty car wash to clean it before polishing it. I have not used the gelcoat restorer before.

Warwick
C18-226

pdandy
Old Fart

Postby pdandy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:39 am

Drifter- you brought back some painful memories for me!!

DO NOT use wax above the waterline- after posting that thread I used an acid wash then 3 m wax. Next outing I was derigging in the rain and slipped on the freshly waxed hull, falling off the boat and onto all fours - cracking both kneecaps. :cry:

The acid wash gelcoat restorers are fine , so long as you make sure it's all rinsed off both the boat AND trailer. Be particularly careful to rinse thoroughly near any alloy etc
noelex 25

previously c18 no 459

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Just checking when you said not to wax above the waterline, did you mean above the gunnels (on the deck) or literally not to wax above the painted waterline?

pdandy
Old Fart

Postby pdandy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:51 pm

Sorry drifter, above the gunnels is what I meant ( I'll claim the defence that the gunnels are the waterline upwind :oops: )
noelex 25

previously c18 no 459

Return to “General Discussion”