Electrical wiring

Generally Sailing Talk
IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:01 pm

Obvious Rod, you have to tow the boat back to Sydney and enter the 18 nationals.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:31 pm

absobloodylutely
Katrina C18/200

Rod Watts
Ensign

Electrical Wiring

Postby Rod Watts » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:35 pm

Ian,
I'm sure the nationals would be a lot of fun, no yelling, no pressure, no calls for water, just leisurely starts, perhaps a time allowance for old timers, sailing restricted to wind strengths between 8 & 12 knots in flat water and with blue skies a prerequisite.
I wonder if perhaps next year we could form a WA convoy and invade the nationals.
Take Care,
Rod
C18 / 221 Gumnut
Damn the torpedoes

Western Warbler
Captain

Postby Western Warbler » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi Rod

You have done some serious sailing. Yes I know Jack, sailed against him for a number of years when he had Mistress, coincidentally also on a Carmen :!:

I did not have to tow the careel from Albany, as we were living in Armidale (NSW) at the time, (highest sailing club in Australia). Only had to tow from Sydney to Whitsundays, 3 month trip there and back. Dad towed the careel from Sydney to Albany in 2001, bumping into Gumnuts in Esperance on the way. So one way and another its a well travelled careel. (oldest one still sailing, I believe)
Ross
C18/7 Press Gang, Clubman 8/? Dayspring

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:21 pm

Western Warbler wrote:So one way and another its a well travelled careel. (oldest one still sailing, I believe)

Ross,

I'm sure I haven't come across an earlier one. There's occasional talk of a C18/2 but I think it's myth as much as anything. Top Note's C18/9 is the next one that I know of. All of the other double-oh's seem to have disappeared.

Have you ever reconsidered naming "Press Gang"? "Bond" could be a good moniker. :roll:
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

jamesw

Postby jamesw » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:40 am

and there's John Dwyer - posted a little further down the page - #8 I believe.

so we have 7, 8, and 9 - must have been a good batch of polyester resin!!
Katrina C18/200

stunmug
Old Fart

Postby stunmug » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:14 am

Rod,
That sort of sailing experience must look good on the sailing C.V.
It really needs a bottle or two of something half decent and a few hours to hear you tell the whole story, it must be quite a yarn, stories within stories I imagine.
A few lines on this forum could not do it justice.
If James does not follow up I may have to unless of course your experience is recorded elsewhere. Cant let that sort of experience slip away unrecorded.
Take it easy.
Frank
Lets do a three sixty and get out of here.

jamesw

Postby jamesw » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:05 am

Rod, what sort of Moth do you have - is it one of the flying one's ?
Katrina C18/200

Rod Watts
Ensign

Electrical Wiring

Postby Rod Watts » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:43 am

James,
As you would be aware there is no electrical wiring on a moth (just to stay on subject). I have a cole mouldie that I got from under a boat shed at Bayswater here in Perth and restored with a new deck. I still find it a challenge in anything over 15 knots, I really admire those talented young men in their flying machines that can sail the foilers, how on earth do they tack them, let alone do a flying gybe.
And yes Frank there are quite a few tales to tell, I've never bothered to record them, they seem a bit mundane in comparison to the Jim Hardy's and Ben Lexcen's (nee Bob Miller) of this world. We will have to get together over an amber ale or two to swap yarns with Ross. I would imagine that sailing out of Albany and Esperance would also have their moments worth recording.
Take care,
Rod
C18 / 221 Gumnut

Damn the torpedoes

careeled
Old Fart

Re: Electrical Wiring

Postby careeled » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:43 pm

Rod Watts wrote:And yes Frank there are quite a few tales to tell, I've never bothered to record them, they seem a bit mundane in comparison to the Jim Hardy's and Ben Lexcen's (nee Bob Miller) of this world. We will have to get together over an amber ale or two to swap yarns with Ross. I would imagine that sailing out of Albany and Esperance would also have their moments worth recording.
Rod, have you read David Salter's book "All Piss and Wind"? Came out about a year ago, lots of sailing war stories involving the above 2, and many others.

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:04 pm

David Rose considers C18-2 to actually be the first Careel because it was sold completed while C18-1 was sold as a kit set and was probably not built to David's plan of how things should be done. David has often said that he would like to buy C18-2 back - I think from Victoria - restore it and lend it to the Maratime Museum.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

john
Old Fart

Postby john » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:55 pm

Rod Sorry, I can't find my wiring diagrams. I must have accidentally thrown them out. Now I'll have to finish off the wiring without them. Bugger !
John
jjnsus

Rod Watts
Ensign

Electrical wiring

Postby Rod Watts » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:13 am

John,
No wukkers, I'm proceeding with a bit of trial and error and only one blown fuse (so far). Actually once you get into it its not too bad and its not as if I'm wiring the starship enterprise. Many thanks for looking for the plans.
Take Care,
Rod
C18 / 221 Gumnut

Damn the torpedoes

Drifter
Captain

Re: Electrical wiring

Postby Drifter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi All,

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I have a careel 18 MK1, which I can spend a few nights on weekend cruises. At the moment I have a tiller pilot (which I hardly ever use but don't want to uninstall), a single LED cabin light with intrgrated switch, nav lights(port +starboard) which are LED and have a switch and a single cigarette lighter outlet for phone charging. At the moment all cables have ring terminals which all get screwed down onto the terminals of the 18AH remco gel battery. The Nav lights have a switch, the cabin light also has a switch at the light. I am not sure if it is safe left the way it is, or if I should install a switch panel with bus bar etc. I also have a 15W solar panel which happily maintains my battery and runs through a solar controller and has ring terminals to the battery. Is it simpler left as is or should I step up and put in a switch panel? I have also wondered about simply installing two separate bus bars (one positive and one negative) and simply having one heavy duty cable to the battery to make it easier to connect and disconnect as I take my batter home as I boat is not parked in a secure location. Sorry for the long winded question. Looking forward to your response. Even after having my boat for a few years I still feel like a novice on some things like this.

Cheers,
Drifter
C18/137

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Electrical wiring

Postby maxm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Sounds like everything is hard wired direct onto the battery, is that right? That could cause problems IF there was a short in something. The short could cause wiring to get hot enough to start a fire. So not ideal.

You could go to bus bar and switch/fuse panel as they make working on the wiring much easier. I installed that setup in my boat and it's made things easy when I changed ideas. But to me, the main thing would be a switch so that you can completely isolate the battery quickly if a short did happen. You could then just move all the existing wires onto the switch instead of the batteries. Nice and simple and a safer setup. Bus bars and panels could then be a job for another time.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Return to “General Discussion”