Electrical wiring

Generally Sailing Talk
IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:29 pm

Gumnuts, et al

Heaven forbid we stay on topic in the Careel forum, just not allowed. Talking electrics and caravans and boats and uvverfings, you might like to look at a caravan forum that I check daily.

The guy who started it is a pro sparkie who fits out caravans with so much solar he can run fridge, computer, washing machine etc for unlimited camping expiditions.

The forum topics have a surpising commonality with trailer boating:

http://groups.msn.com/Caravanforum/general.msnw
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:31 pm

Now what was that about MTDs again and where has Blak'Earted Kate been hiding?

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

stunmug
Old Fart

Postby stunmug » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Ian,
Thanks for the caravan info, there are a lot of similarities, I have obtained gear out of the boating cattle dogs over the years for the the vans we have had.
Yeah Kate has been a bit quiet, all okay I hope.
I still have Daisy the Pilot 18, bloke sent me a sizeable deposit and 4 months later she still aint been collected or more importantly ,finally paid for. Not to sure where we go from here as communication with the bloke is a real problem.
To stay on the topic of electrics she now has a flat battery, that should satisfy the purists.
Wots an MTD.
Take it easy.
Frank
Lets do a three sixty and get out of here.

pugwash
Old Fart

Postby pugwash » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Wots an MTD.

How quickly they forget!!
Clive.

c18/89 "Slipjig"
--------------------
I can't find my camouflage net....

stunmug
Old Fart

Postby stunmug » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:26 pm

Clive,
Just feigning ignorance, we do not want to raise the ire of our esteemed Editor again, his wrath was terrible to behold.
Our indiscretions last time nearly had us drummed out of the forum to the sound of muffled keyboards.
Such threats are not to be taken lightly.
All because of a harmless little duck, fortunately now a protected species.
As I recall it was your thread that started it all.
Shhh, let sleeping ducks lie or lay whatever the case may be.
Take it easy.
Frank

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:01 am

Another good caravan forum is:

http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum/f ... l_topics=1

There are a couple more but the other two are not as active or informative.
The interesting thing about the caravan forums is how aggro people get arguing over technical points ... grumpy old men? Fortunately we don't do that on this site, a bit of poking fun but no aggro, let's keep it that way and watch out for Mongolian Trotting Ducks, as Frank pointed out, they are a protected species.

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:04 am

Seem to me the sale of the Pilot Boat is a bit of a winner. Anybody want to buy Clockwork by giving me a sizable deposit and then not bothering to pick the boat up?

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

stunmug
Old Fart

Postby stunmug » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:12 pm

Ian,
I intended to ask earlier as to the progress in regard to your knees, to keep on topic, your electric knees.
Still putting it off myself, whilst my knees can freight my freckle to the pub and back I will stick with the orry ginals.
Yes I am a cowardly bugger.
Take it easy.
Frank

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:13 pm

Frank get it done, don't waste time, any doubt get both knees done at the same time. Operation is not as bad as I expected. Recovery is dependant upon how hard you are prepared to work in hydrotherapy. Most pepole just tea bag in the pool and they don't get the movement back. I did one month before and three months afterwards. Two hydroptherapy sessions a week and one session in the gym in the hospital's physio department. My surgeon considered this about right. Bit hard to do as the hospitals try to get you off the program a lot quicker as under our Peoples Democratic Republic they are chronically underfunded, at least they are in NSW. All you have to do is insist like hell you need more to get the most out of the system. Total recovery, according to my doc, is 12 months but at about 23 weeks out I am getting better every day. Is this far enough OT for you lot?

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

stunmug
Old Fart

Postby stunmug » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:41 pm

Ian,
Thanks for the info, that is encouraging to say the least.
I do have a distance problem in that we are 725k from Perth and 400k from Kalgoorlie, the closest regional centre that performs such miracles.
People from here obviously get it done but if there are problems the distance factor turns them into major problems.
Really needs to be sussed out as to the best time from a logistical point of view.
I do need to think seriously about it as if my legs get any more bowed one will be accused of carrying ones balls in parenthesis.
I have tried to stay on topic with our discussion on steam driven electric knees but any wandering off topic must be attributed to advancing years and an excess of a particularly nasty red I happen to have to hand.
Take it easy.
Frank

Rod Watts
Ensign

Electrical wiring

Postby Rod Watts » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:48 am

Good moaning,
Meanwhile back at the ranch where Gumnut now resides I was wondering if I should run a common negative from the battery with all user points going through the positive. No doubt Dave has it shown on his wiring diagram, as usual I am jumping the gun.
Also does anyone know if I can run the solar panel onto the battery terminals while the battery is still hooked up and being used to run the 27 mhz radio.
Frank, my humble apologies for paying for and taking delivery of Gumnut, I wasn't aware of the Esperance system of paying deposits on boats. Good luck with your knees, I wonder if balls in parenthesis can deteriorate to the balls is question (mark).
Take care,
Rod
C18 / 221 Gumnut
Damn the torpedoes

Western Warbler
Captain

Postby Western Warbler » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:26 pm

Rod

I fitted my battery (small 12 volt lead acid) in a purpose built battery box behimd the centreboard case and under the cockpit floor. Shortens the cable run to electrical controls. It did 4 or 5 days in the Whitsundays, no problems, but it was only running 2 small dflouro lights. Anchor light was 1 D cell Bias jobbie, hand held radio and nav lights not used (no night movement).

Battery box is held in place with some ocky strap to brackets on the side on the centrboard case. No problems in many thousands of km trailering.

Good to see you have caught up with pugwash (here anyway) He turns up a mean wooden tiller.

Perhaps we will see you down South one day soon :?:
Ross
C18/7 Press Gang, Clubman 8/? Dayspring

Rod Watts
Ensign

Electrical wiring

Postby Rod Watts » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:19 pm

Ross,
Wow did you do a trip from Albany to Whitsundays towing the Careel, I am very impressed and a little envious.
I have made a small battery box that has fitted nicely in the port aft locker with leads to a small electrical panel. Alongside the battery I have fitted a solar panel regulator (to get the right volts and prevent over charging and night discharge) with leads out to the solar panel through a rubber bung that someone has kindly fitted in the port aft corner of the deck. We only intend running cabin lights, nav lights and an LED anchor light. I know Dave has suggested a fair bit of grunt in the battery but I'll see how we go with an 18 amp Glass matt battery and a 13 watt solar panel.
We certainly hope to get down to Albany one day soon, do you know Jack Baxter, I sailed with him in America's cup trials off Yanchep and then Newport in '74. Winches were a bit bigger on those boats and we were all a lot younger.
Take care,
Rod
C18 / 221 Gumnut

Damn the torpedoes

stunmug
Old Fart

Postby stunmug » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:36 pm

C,mon Rod,
A bit more detail on these aforementioned Americas Cup trials.
Whats the story.?
Take it easy.
Frank

Rod Watts
Ensign

Electrical Wiring

Postby Rod Watts » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 pm

Frank,
Once upon a time there was a new boy on the block called Alan Bond and he came down to the yacht club to recruit those stupid enough to devote the next three years to trying to learn to sail twelve metre yachts. So I gave up ocean racing (on a Carmen class, tiny by today's standards) to sail as tailer (sheet hand) on Gretel 11 before Southern Cross was launched. Then two complete crews (me included) went to Newport with Jim Hardy and John Cuneo and managed to beat the French (Baron Bich) 4-0 and sail off against Courageous to get thoroughly trounced 4-0.
Must admit it was a bit of a highlight of my sailing career though I've managed to squeeze in a couple of Hobarts as well.
After all that I still regard sailing my moth as the most fun, though I can't wait to get Gumnut in the water and just enjoying the shear pleasure of sailing, no yelling, no pressure, just sailing.
Take care,
Rod
C18 / 221 Gumnut

Damn the torpedoes

Return to “General Discussion”