Questions from new owner

Generally Sailing Talk
patvarney
Ensign

Questions from new owner

Postby patvarney » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Hello-Mast raising and lowering, common issue this I know, dont have any problem raising the mast we use a small block and tackle attached to the forestay and bow and pull smartly comes up a treat. Problem is lowering, we use the same arrangement and I hold the mast but cannot stop the sway almost lost it yesterday in a strong breeze! Any suggestions? Anyone use a mechanical device/assist they can recommend?

What arrangements do people use to cleat off the jib sheets from the winch-pictures here would be great.Currently have clamcleats attached next to the cabin but doesnt work very well. Thanks for any help.

Just wondering if I am the only Careel owner in Perth? Would be great if there was another boat to sail with, compare notes etc

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Questions from new owner

Postby maxm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:27 pm

Moved to this thread to the "General Discussion" area where it might get more noticed.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:36 pm

Pat on a C18 there's no preventing the sway either raising or lowering unless you have someone doing the hard work or you install some additional bits. That's because on a standard C18 the shrouds are swept back so are not tight unless the mast is fully raised. I've never owned a C18 with the mast raising system so can't comment on that but others do and hopefully can answer your question.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

patvarney
Ensign

Postby patvarney » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:47 pm

When you say additional bits-are we talking about baby stays or something different?

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:32 pm

From what I remember, I think it involves some anchor points installed on the deck and some kind of attachment to the mast. But as I say, I've never had one so am just going on old memories of other people's descriptions.

The topic has been discussed often on the forum so if you search some of the old threads, you're likely to find good info. For example, here is one thread that goes into some detail:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2145&start=30
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

patvarney
Ensign

Postby patvarney » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:11 am

Thanks for the info on Vern's system- I cannot open the pics-would really like to know the position of the eyes on the cabin roof.Don't want to mess it up!!
I now have an understanding of what to do.

Ianfw
Captain

Postby Ianfw » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:57 pm

I have made a mast raising stabilising system.
1. A piece of flat galv steel about 4inches by 2 inches
2. Attached 2 sail slugs along the long side to fit in the sail track.
3. two camping spreader poles attached in the middle of the galv plate with one bolt.
4 other ends bolted with wing nuts for easy removal to eye bolts at the rear back corners of the cabin.
5. Use a lifter pole at the front, attached the front stay to the end, and then the trailer winch cable and hoist it up.
6. As it goes up the two spreader poles form an A frame and keep the mast stable. The sail slugs let it slide along the sail track as the mast goes up.

I will take some photos next time I put the mast up. Quick and inexpensive to make. Easy single handed raising and lowering.

Malcareels
Petty Officer

Postby Malcareels » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:05 pm

Ianfw wrote:I have made a mast raising stabilising system.
1. A piece of flat galv steel about 4inches by 2 inches
2. Attached 2 sail slugs along the long side to fit in the sail track.
3. two camping spreader poles attached in the middle of the galv plate with one bolt.
4 other ends bolted with wing nuts for easy removal to eye bolts at the rear back corners of the cabin.
5. Use a lifter pole at the front, attached the front stay to the end, and then the trailer winch cable and hoist it up.
6. As it goes up the two spreader poles form an A frame and keep the mast stable. The sail slugs let it slide along the sail track as the mast goes up.

I will take some photos next time I put the mast up. Quick and inexpensive to make. Easy single handed raising and lowering.

Did you get a chance to take the photos of your mast raising system

Ianfw
Captain

Postby Ianfw » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Sorry....no....send me your email address and I will get some photos done and send to you.

Return to “General Discussion”