'CAREELS in CANBERRA' Cruise/Muster 8th-13th Nov. 2018. National Championships 10th-11th Nov. 2018

Generally Sailing Talk
don47
Old Fart

'CAREELS in CANBERRA' Cruise/Muster 8th-13th Nov. 2018. National Championships 10th-11th Nov. 2018

Postby don47 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:55 pm

“Careels in Canberra” Cruise/Muster 8th-13th Nov. 2018. National Champs 10th-11th Nov. 2018.

This note is to advise & get you thinking about your attendance at Lake Burley Griffin for both Championship & Muster reasons in a little less than 12 months’ time.
Just how often do you get the opportunity to say you’ve raced/cruised on LBG right in the middle of our National Capital ? Well, the CCYA is pleased to announce that its been able to secure the CYC (Canberra Yacht Club) to host our next National & NSW Championship events for both C18 & C22 classes. Full details will later be provided in a formal NOR plus Entry however, currently the dates, location & a bit of info are being furnished for your consideration & knowledge.
It is envisaged that a couple of days will be added to either side of the above dates to allow for some cruise/sightseeing activity plus provide practise time for the competitor. However, to assist you with your future plans at this stage please note that if desired arrangements have been made for any Careel member/s to camp on their boat in Lotus Bay, Yarralumla adjacent to the club where an excellent boat ramp is available. Careel members will be afforded usage of CYC facilities including restaurants, bars & other amenities. Importantly, know that when we each arrive at the venue an ‘Application for Boat Permit Form’ from National Capital Authority (NCA) will need & must first be completed to gain approval from the authority & avoid penalties. The Permit forms will be available from the CYC & do allow for boat /motor use on LBG at no charge so long as you are part of our approved event.

Some of the primary reasons for the move to the Nov. date & the ACT location are:
A. The ACT is an easily travelled to destination from all east coast States & offers a great opportunity to promote Careel at a terrific venue that hasn’t seen Careels in numbers for quite some years.
B. The weather should be most pleasant at that time being midway between the Oct. long w/end & Christmas. We should be therefore without cold or blustery westerlies that one could have reasonably expected in Sept. had we held the event then.
C. Canberra offers plenty of attractions on the occasion & our numbers won’t be hampered by the likes of busy School Holidays, Bathurst Car Races &/or Footy Grand Finals.
Don.

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Re: 'CAREELS in CANBERRA'.

Postby Mark III Amigo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:09 pm

I’m excited. Canberra has more attractions than you could poke a stick at. War memorial, Mount ainslee, black mountain, national art gallery, national museum, national science centre, national bloody everything, Parliament House old and new, more eateries per capita than anywhere...

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:25 pm

It's never to early to start preparing boats & trialling all equip for an event.

Then there's holidays & time off work to organise plus accommodation if required & you're not camping out on boat.

We'd like to see a huge turn out at LBG & another big reason for the move to the Nov. date & the LBG / Canberra location is that it was reported that the Victorians weren't ready to host the Championships this time round. However, because of their past travelling & participation efforts plus that of others both local to Canberra & from the Wagga region we thought we'd meet you all again (with your friends & their boats) at least halfway.

So no matter what State you come from start preparing for Canberra.
Don.

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:12 pm

FYI,, the Canberra YC should be furnishing us with the NOR, Entry Form shortly so keep an eye open for all the details coming soon in the August Newsletter, etc. Please note that the whole event is planned to run from the 8th-13th Nov.18 inclusive with the racing of the Championships occurring on the 10th-11th. So plenty of time for relaxed cruising & sightseeing !!
Don.

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi everyone,

Many years ago I used to race lasers as a kid but haven't been racing in ages! I love pottering around on my 18 and shaking out the sails but not experienced in the racing end of things. Whilst I would normally consider myself a cruiser more than a racer the thought of racing in canberra with a good mate of mine who lives there possibly happy to crew I am starting to give it thought. What are the requirements to race? Understand I need to chat to my insurer for race cover but do I also need that category 5 checklist of items thingo that boats are inspected on or do the team at CCYA not stress about all that. More just testing the waters than anything else.

Cheers,
Drifter
C18/137

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Ben, you'll be well equiped for Canberra if you have everything that is normally required & on the Careel list.
Don.

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi Don,

Thanks for your advice. Sorry to sound like a complete novice but where is the careel list? Still not sure about racing as I am not keen on the competitive nature of it. Is it ok to race solo if my mate is not free? Depends how much extra stuff is required to race to determine if it is worth it to me to race or simply cruise about. Please let me know where to find this list.

Cheers,
Ben

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi Don,

Thanks for sending me the information. Unfortunately not sure of dates off from work at that time so not sure when I will be there. I'm sure the races will be a lot of fun!

Cheers,
Drifter
C18/137

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:44 am

Yes Ben,, racing can be very enjoyable & great fun also exhilarating & thrilling. It teaches & gives you so greater an understanding of sailing & controlling that boat. Like everything it can have its moments too of course, there are ups & downs. As said to you the best thing for you to do right now is to firstly pay your Careel M/ship fee's (always due Apl) & make sure when doing so that you receive that lil green CCYA booklet ( Racing Instructions Rules & Procedures) in which you'll find the answers to many a question even though I concede that the booklet could do with updating. From there you'll be able to make your or boat or put your boat into a basic complying situation. Some events require (normally outside of CCYA events) extra gear & equip because of the race Category such as MPONR or The B2B. Anyway, if you also take note of some advise that I suggested on FB of competing on your own or even other with an experienced skipper you'll learn & appreciate so much more quickly.
Don.

Mango
Captain

Postby Mango » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi Don, I saw the Notice of Race in the Careel News.

I've got my mates Dave and Mic lined up for a fun weekend in Canberra so Mango Madness will be there with bells on!

Cheers John

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:32 am

Good onya John, sounds like we're going to have a good show alright.
I'm aware of some Entries being placed already.
See you there.
Best.
Don.

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Postby Mark III Amigo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:38 am

We’ll be staying in Canberra for a week before the event and hopefully doing some exploring of the lake. After the race we will be travelling back to Bris, via Wagga, visiting the ‘lations. Be good to catch up with the Wagga boys and sail on their pond..

Smile wave
Ensign

Postby Smile wave » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Hello All
The Wagga Pond is drying up we might have enough water if we get a good rain or 2 in the next few Months.
There is a couple of club lasers in the boat shed if its a bit shallow, you blokes will be right at home.

Cheers
See you all in Canberra, by the way we are in fresh water now The Blacksheep will thrive :lol: .

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Be good to catch up Denis !

BTW, as / the CCYA Programme/Calendar 2018-19.
Please all note that whether you are a Cruiser, Racer or both you may arrive at LBG & be able to utilise CYC facilities from the 8th Nov till the 13th Nov 2018 inclusive. (The cruise plan depicted in Aug. Newsletter reflects incorrect dates for the total period).

Racing is on the 10th - 11th Nov. 2018 only.

Cruise / Muster dates are from 8th - 13th Nov. 2018 inclusive.

Canberra offers plenty of all sorts of activity for all to enjoy apart from just LBG. Many CCYA members will wish to participate in the organised events whether race or cruise but, please feel free to explore Canberra & its highlights at your own leisure if wish over the extended period as well.
Don.

don47
Old Fart

Re: 'CAREELS in CANBERRA' Cruise/Muster 8th-13th Nov. 2018. National Championships 10th-11th Nov. 2018

Postby don47 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Exactly one month today before we're all enjoying Canberra & its lake whether cruising, racing or both.
Get those entries in now if you intend to compete.
Don.

Return to “General Discussion”