50th MPONR

Generally Sailing Talk
don47
Old Fart

Re: 50th MPONR

Postby don47 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Well John, the numbers are slowly growing it would seem. There are a few C18 & 22's there at present in Div A, which currently shows 43 entries.
I just checked updated Entry list on www.mponr.com & obviously there are more to be included.
Your entry for example, is not yet appearing or that of Wildbird a C22 from the Blue Mtns that I know is attending. I'm hoping Denis from Wagga with Blacksheep & a few others can turn things about & make the starters gun/flare.
Of course, there is still 3 odd weeks before the event so more will step forward & appear on the updated list.
Interesting to note that the CBH value is again written down as 0.590 & not the new figure of 0.615 which has disappointed us all that own & compete with C18. The LWYC carry out matters their way however, you can bet your house on it that it won't be the case at the B2B in Qld with AS Col Verrall in charge I guarantee you !
Speaking of Qld/Qlders, it is very disappointing that none of the maroon fella's are entering this year, especially with it being the MPONR 50th. Their keenness in the first instance was very strong however, their non enter is probably largely due to circumstances, time off from work, the long distance, etc & the fact that The Nationals weren't going to be held either before or after the mponr event.
Our class entry numbers should be great if you think about our actual number of boat produced.
I don't know how many Noelex 25's were built but, they are certainly leading the charge with entries. At least 3 of our old Careel owners/members are now owners of N25's & are entered.
Don.

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:30 am

BTW,, people it's not to late to have your boat prepped & readied for this event yet.
Careels don't require to much extra to comply for this events race rules & you'll be glad for the sensible extra anyway. So get that entry in pronto if you have a mind & gain your race number.

If not wishing to compete then another option is to come along & watch the action. Plenty tie up to the banks in the Straits in choice & out of the way areas where a race boat won't or shouldn't venture. Here the spectators are either sitting on their boats or ashore around camp fires enjoying beer, wine & food plus providing plenty of support for the competitors. At least one of our C18 members, Carlos & Ximena are doing just that this year I understand. I'm sure they'll also be enjoying, spending some cruise time before & after the Marley as well.
Don.

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:54 pm

No telling yet of final numbers for this event however, the entry figure is well up (more than double) on what it was for the same period last year.
There were 68 entries received 2 weeks out from the event 12 mths ago.
Currently there are 145 nominated.
The final figure will certainly be well short of the 600 plus race record numbers from the 80's but, impressive in these times none the less.
Don.

Mango
Captain

Postby Mango » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi Paul, there's currently 51 yachts registered fro Div A with a little less than 2 weeks to go, last time I did the Marlay in 2016 there were only 31 entrants in Div A on race night.

Mango Madness came 7th on handicap. Got a new mainsail this time around so hoping we'll do ok!

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Postby Mark III Amigo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Wish I could be there, but a bridge too far for me. Thinking about extending Canberra Nats trip in November to include a trip down to the Gippsland lakes and maybe even across the straight to the little island...

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Hope the B2B ain't a bridge to far for me this year as Pink B..z (which is now white top with light grey hull & a beautiful boat) wants to stutt its stuff before being sold off to a caring owner after the total rebuild/refit.
Tassie, oh yeah,,, it's on my bucket list (as is Whitsunday's & sections at least of The Murray. Only talking to Byrdie the other day about us all organising) & have so much already planned in advance for it.
However, doubt that either side of next Nov will be suitable for us. More thinking next year prior to the Marley as that will ensure we're out of the arse end of the damned summer heat around here & some of the west areas that I have to work in.
Don.

pdandy
Old Fart

Postby pdandy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:11 am

Great effort by Don - sorry if we disturbed the peace

noelex 25
previously c18 no 459

pdandy
Old Fart

Postby pdandy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:06 pm

I think that's c22 no 58 ( wildbird) over to the right, and don in the middle of the pic.

noelex 25

previously c18 no 459

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks Dr Dandy for the photo's.
No you didn't disturb the peace (Rob was half awake in cab) & that passed over carefully from boat to boat in the wee hours Pancake with the syrup plus raspberries went down well. As said, one day I knew I'd get to taste some of your delights & Robyn also enjoyed half of it.
It sure was a very fickle event this year with that small but, decent breeze to begin with followed up by hours & hours of near nothing at all. We did no fewer than half a dozen 360's in the straits, completely out of control.
It was a sight to see on a couple of occasions wind filling in from behind carrying plenty of contestants with it, plenty of them with or without kites. Not sure I liked that sight to much but, that's sailing & you know what Forrest says about the chocolates.
Who'd of thought that yet again wind would fill like it did though so close to home bringing in plenty of boats to make for that exciting mass finish.
Congrats to all who put up with all the demands of the course & finished the race as it was very trying & tiring. I'm yet to study any results properly.
We collapsed after retrieving boat & a shower mid arvo. We didn't wake till 5am next morning, don't think I've ever slept so long. I calculated that we'd both been up & awake for some 35 hours before we'd put our heads on pillows.
We've not long made home ourselves & overall we had a terrific time.
Our drive both ways was adventurous through the Alps, our accom great on Raymond Island, restaurants & company all terrific.
Don.

pdandy
Old Fart

Postby pdandy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Sorry, Don, I thought you were solo - we had another dozen pancakes, a punnet of strawberries, and it really wouldn't have been hard to fire up the espresso machine.

BTW , this was that view back to the fleet catching up

For some context on how far back they. were, click on this ( warning, big file)
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4791/259 ... 2e_o_d.jpg

You guys missed a great lap of the island - it was FAST - kites through mcmillan straight, a close kite reach out to point king, then overpowered under genoa out the back of the island at one stage we clocked 6.8 knts pointing high ( passing an rl ) - I eventually remembered we had kids aboard and dropped the genoa :cry:
noelex 25

previously c18 no 459

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:33 am

No PD, not alone of course & in my case that was a good thing as around 5am I managed my first (that I can remember) MOB situation. Yep,, slipped a beauty,, as I thought in the very light conditions I'd leave the steering for a moment & race up onto cab top to break down the pole for different headsail set while my wife (crew) was down below trying to gain some shut eye. Wasn't in the water long at all but, it gave me a momentary vulnerable & lonely feeling especially in that early morning darkness.
John on Mango Madness in the 18's actually read & took advantage probably the best out of that catching fleet. Just near home he scooted down low around the huge finishing bunch & in doing so cleaned up plenty.
Don.

Luka
Old Fart

Postby Luka » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Mr Dandy,
That's a great night time shot of C22/58 Wild Bird.
Any chance you could email me a higher resolution file so I can print it out, when downloading from the web site it's a small file and doesn't print so clear.
I did see another pic somewhere also with Wild Bird at centre of frame, was that yours also and if possible could you email that also.
Regards
Luka
editor@careel.com
Luka
C18-466 / Druthers

Return to “General Discussion”