Generally Sailing Talk
paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

50th MPONR

Postby paul trotter » Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Just an idea good Careel people......

In 2018 the MPONR has its 50th year.

This regatta will be huge!

We need to assemble that largest Careel Armada for this event.

I respectfully suggest that we hold our National Championships in conjunction with this event and enjoy a week together on the Gippsland Lakes?

The motive is entirely selfish.....I want the T shirt!

Thoughts?
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Re: 50th MPONR

Postby byrdsworth » Thu May 18, 2017 6:14 am

This would be an awesome trip

I am keen ... Graham (Cool Change) was talking about do The marley next year too.

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:25 am

Hopefully already happening fella's. I've mentioned the idea earlier to a few but, it just needs cementing up which should ocurr now that AGM out of way.
Don.

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Thu May 18, 2017 6:09 pm

The other advantage would be crew. Doing the MPONR with just two is hard . I'd like to race three up and get some shut eye during the race.

I'd crew with others if I can't get sufficient numbers. We could then race two up in the National Championships held on Lake Victoria. Its a winning formula!

Would it be best to do the Nats before or after the MPONR?
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Thu May 18, 2017 6:18 pm

C18 Provional Boat tally for this event

1. Storm NSW
2. Skye Mist QLD
3. Nellie QLD
4. Honey Ryder QLD
5. Cool Change QLD
6. Mango Madness NSW
7. Blacksheep NSW
8. Magic Bus VIC
9. Midnight Express VIC
10. Casper VIC
11. Druthers NSW

4 x NSW
3 x VIC
4 x QLD

We just need a SA, TAS and WA boat to get all states represented.

I think we would also get a good group of C22s along!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Trotts,, you are getting soft now that you've turned 50. Three up indeed,, if needs be yeah but, not for beauty sleep !
We want boats on the water & competitors having a great time utilising them in this unique event not sitting on trailers onshore because you borrowed crew from that boat with the idea of personally enjoying a snooze at some stage in the night. :roll: :roll:
You only need 3 up if conditions or predicted conditions warrant. You've got your reefing system which you are well used to using. I've never reefed an 18 yet, think that if there really was the need I shouldn't be out there in the first place, lets certainly drop some sail &/or go to motor. Our boats are fitted with travellers, pull on some extra vang, cunningham, foot tension, flatten all sail off. Wish we were allowed some controls to tighten up rig tension particularly to side stays. Man, you've a mk3 with the big CB in it too, that's roughly 120kg under the boat more than the mk1 that could be sailing the same course.

As said above, I'd only be interested in a crew of three if the conditions or predicted conditions warrant. If you need more than that definitely forget it, especially in that night event which must certainly yes, be respected ! 20+Kts on the nose right thru the night with 100+ boats at the start would soon see some extra weariness in fact exhaustion come about I'm sure even for three onboard & there'd be no time for sleep if you bothered to stay out there competing. No one should go out to that start line in that event without certainly being very well prepared, rested up & with appropriate foods & drink onboard.

If Robyn & I can stay up right thru the night & complete the course you & certainly everyone else with a good reasonable level of sailing experience can. Last MPONR we experienced breeze from next to nothing thru to about the late teens -20Kts. We copped the heaviest of the breeze at about 4am on what was a long starboard beat which saw us both working pretty hard for awhile but, well in control just playing the main. We're not these days all that young, over fit (that's for sure) or race harden. Our boat doesn't see enough of the water at all in recent years so no practise virtually occurs because of to much work at actual work and on the home front plus other family matters.

Mate,, swallow some No Dose, drink some coffee or V drinks. Eat some banana & chocolate, anything to give you energy & you'll be fine.
Don.

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Getting softer by the second Don :-)
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Well it must be an age thing then Trotts, ha, ha !
I have my moments too but,, I've got at least 10 yrs on you !
Don.

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Just like a marshmellow......
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Some more information has been released. Pity our boats can't enter the new classic division. Many of them would be old enough!

http://www.sailing.org.au/classic-divis ... ight-race/
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:39 pm

If you are an interested party & wish to gain all the relevant details immediately,, you certainly can at: http://www.mponr.com & go to Entries.
All forms & info are now there plus available.
They include: Notice of Race, Entry Form, Declaration of Compliance & Sailing Instructions.

Of course, Wangi got the nod & figured with regard to this seasons National Champs therefore we won't be tacking on any such event as suggested earlier to the 50th MPONR.
It is likely however, that a cruise may be organised for a number of days post the 50th.
For those wondering about the location / date of the next Nationals,, well that detail should excite plenty after being a bit more firmed up & then released shortly.
Don.

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 pm

I'll bump this matter up as a reminder that its time to really start preparing if you haven't already plus get your entry in.
Don.

Mango
Captain

Postby Mango » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm

hi Don, I've registered Mango Madness in Div A and will be attending the 50th gaga dinner at Sale on the Friday night and staying at Paynesville on the Sunday night. Tis will be my 4th Marlay. Cheers John

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:30 am

G/day John,
Goodo Mate, will see you there then. This will actually be my 4th Marley as well.
Robyn & I depart early on the Wed beforehand & will be trekking down thru part of the Alps enroute.
We not going to dinner at Sale but, instead plan to enjoy Paynesville pub/restaurant plus a relaxing bottle of red while taking in the lake views from our accom on the end of Raymond Island.
We'll also stay over on the Sun night to further rest up after the event before commencing the journey back north on the Mon morn.
Don.

Mango
Captain

Postby Mango » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi Don,

What's the Careel fleet looking like?

Return to “General Discussion”