Rudder question

The place to go when you are new here!
patvarney
Petty Officer

Rudder question

Postby patvarney » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Hello, Been new to trailer sailing, just wondering the pros and cons for attaching the rudder before transit-suitably secured to stop it swinging.

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Rudder question

Postby maxm » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:50 pm

Personally I would put it in the cabin while in transit for the simple reason that removing the rudder and storing it is much quicker and safer than tying ropes to secure it.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Luka
Old Fart

Postby Luka » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 pm

I leave it in place and lash the tiller to the mast to stop swinging.
I also run a tie around the rudder back to the pushpit to ensure it doesn't drop in transit.
Make sure the rudder is secure at the ramp before taking off the tie so it doesn't drop as you undo it.
I've never had a problem, doesn't take long and I think it's simpler than stowing it.
Luka
C18-466 / Druthers

patvarney
Petty Officer

Postby patvarney » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:02 pm

Thanks for your replies.
The rudder is quite heavy and needs two people to offer up, line up and put the pins in and it also takes up a lot of room in the car. Hence, i was thinking of putting it on before setting off.

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:16 pm

I'm definitely agreeing with Luka. Just make sure you have a retaining clip or split ring to stop the rudder from perhaps jumping off the gudgeon/pintle fittings & absolutely leave it on the transom suitably lashed & strapped up which takes only a few moments.
I've never had an issue & I must have travelled I don't know how many thousands of Ks over the years with either a swing rudder &/or a dagger box strapped up as such.
Don.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 pm

There ya go, a nice illustration of the fact that we each have our own routines and solutions. There's no one answer. :D

One thing to keep in mind though (at least in NSW anyway) is that you can't obstruct visibility of the number plate. It's supposed to be visible across a 180 degree arc. So if you've got bits like rudder or outboard hanging off the transom then the number plate needs to be either aft of them or above them. In theory you should probably also have a flag attached to those bits as well.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

rbarge76
Petty Officer

Postby rbarge76 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:28 pm

I’d be worried about the road vibrations doing damage.
And do you put the rudder on before or after you launch the boat?

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:34 pm

I should've also said above that the swing rudder/s that I've left on the stern when transporting are not of the plain standard type BBQ plate. ie: they are larger & fold up far better & vertically than the standard thus also making them easier to tie or lash up securely against the stern. Certainly you can do similar with the BBQ plate model but, it'll protrude out from the stern a bit more because of the non vertical fold up.
Re wear & tare factors from vibration or other well,, I've personally noticed no real probs as I make sure fastened property & with some padding. I'd be far more concerned about doing or causing damages by lifting the rudder on & off every time I utilised the boat & stowing it where,, in the boat or the car where it also takes up maybe valuable space. I've seen some people do the same with their out boards,,, well they're your item/s I guess & so do what you'd rather or think best for your situation.
Don.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”