New to careels

The place to go when you are new here!
Ken
Land Lubber

New to careels

Postby Ken » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi All
After a 30 year love affair with trailer sailers we have downsized from a Court 650 to a mark1 Careel 18
The boat is hull number 104 (maybe 1978 build) and was formerly named ‘Peregrine’. For a range of reasons we will be renaming her ‘Petite’
Apart from being much easier to rig, launch and retrieve I am very impressed with the stability of the boat
After a big comfortable cabin in the Court the C18 is a bit cramped but that is offset by the ease of rigging etc
Having fitted a front anchor hatch (can’t understand the makers not having that as standard) and a porta potti and a spot for a stove and lots of other things the boat is now getting used
I had a temper tantrum with the kick up rudder and have replaced it with a dagger board style that is working out well
I have enjoyed and learnt from this chat site and thank the contributors (especially regarding rudders)
Best wishes
Ken

maxm
Old Fart

Re: New to careels

Postby maxm » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Ken and welcome! Don't throw that rudder away, there's probably people on this site who'd be interested in buying it. The old BBQ plates aren't pretty but they are bomb proof. And yes, later boats had an anchor well.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”