C18 204

The place to go when you are new here!
watto
Land Lubber

C18 204

Postby watto » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi
Id like to introduce myself ive just bought C18 204 Get Reel from a very helpful and friendly fella on the central coast. It is my first boat and ive a lot to learn especially at the ramp. Apart from sailing 125s down at BYRA in the early 80s and a few outings on friends boats my sailing experience is basic.
just returned from my first outing and overnight stay at yeomans bay with my two kids 7 and 10 in tow and we had a blast.
I have high hopes of using the boat a lot during the school holidays launching at Bayview for day sails and Akuna for overnight trips. My list of jobs or to dos on my boat is growing so may be a regular on this forum.
Anyway super keen to get out there for a sail look for me ill be the one holding everyone up at the boat ramp

maxm
Old Fart

Re: C18 204

Postby maxm » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi watto, welcome to the site and congratulations on your new baby!

Don't worry about the ramp. We've all been there and I can tell you, it WILL get much quicker and easier. And yes, you never get to the end of the to do list.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Postby Mark III Amigo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Tips to avoid ramp rage.

On the launch. Be ready before you head to the ramp. Keel should be up. Have your painter ready on the bow cleat for the launch. Have an assistant help guide you in. Have your assistant ready to drive your vehicle away to park once you have launched. On the C18,you don’t need to dunk the trailer. In fact it is best not to. Have at least the back roller about 1 rollers worth of height off the water. This equates to the trailer wheels being about 1/3 in the water with the bearings well clear of the water. The reason for this is that the boat skeg will run out on the rollers and less likel to run off the rollers and damage your skeg on the trailer roller brackets. Have your rollers greased and you will have an easier launch. You don’t need to break your trailer on launch if it has a breaking system.

On the retrieve, be ready. Have your winch rope or cable out and clipped to the end of the trailer in the car park. Retrieve using same as launch procedure. That is don’t dunk the trailer. skull drag your boat onto the rollers. You may like to break your trailer, but not too much so that the boat could float off the end roller. , use a chain around the breaking point to limit the break.

watto
Land Lubber

Postby watto » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:31 am

Hi
Thanks for the advice. yes not breaking the trailer on launch was learnt the hard way at least i now know why it wasn't smooth as expected.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”