Which Careel should I buy?

The place to go when you are new here!
Jenna
Land Lubber

Which Careel should I buy?

Postby Jenna » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi there,

I stumbled upon your forum whilst researching which TS to buy, there is currently a Careel 18 (Limelight) and a Careel 22 (Bucaneer) both in my town of Hobart, we are spoiled for choice!

We are new to the world of Trailer Sailers (although my husband grew up sailing a Hartley TS16). We both have experience sailing dinghy's.

We are looking for an adventure boat, but something that has a bit of speed as we plan on adventuring as far as Flinders Island from Mussleroe Bay so need something that is up to log trips.

We prefer the C18 due to its light weight for towing across the state of Tasmania, but I am wondering if it will be a little small for the distances we would like to go.

Has anyone on this forum sailed a C18 from Mainland Tas to Flinders Island?

We have a Nissan Patrol so could get the C22 if needed but would prefer to keep it simple and light weight if we can, just looking for examples of how far people have pushed these boats.

Jenna

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Which Careel should I buy?

Postby maxm » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:27 pm

Sorry to break it to you Jenna but to be frank, you're looking at travelling halfway across Bass Strait and back (one of the nastiest bits of water on the planet) in a trailer yacht. These boats aren't really made for open waters and they certainly aren't made for the kinds of conditions Bass Strait could inflict. I definitely wouldn't be thinking about doing that in an 18 and I'd think very, very, VERY carefully about attempting it in a 22. And then I'd think again.

That doesn't mean it can't be done but to put it plainly, I don't think you should be contemplating doing that kind of trip in this kind of boat unless you have a LOT of experience in them. That's my advice for what it's worth.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 pm

On the other hand, you do have a lot of incredibly good waterways in Tassie that would be great to spend time on. The Derwent River, Freycinet, lots of river and estuary systems, not to mention your inland lakes and waterways. These would be well suited to either of these boats but if you're going to spend more than a weekend at a time on the boat then for my money, you'll appreciate the extra room on a 22. Especially the head room.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Jenna
Land Lubber

Postby Jenna » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:04 am

Thanks Max,

Yes we are probably getting a bit excited, Freycinet is definitely on our list, and Bruny Island in the river Derwent. Weekends are probably all we are likely to be spending, so with the tow weight in mind we are leaning toward the C18.

Does anyone have experience with 6hp outboards in a heavy wind, say 15-20 knots, or is an 8hp the standard? Would be good to hear if anyone has experience with a 6hp two stroke in high winds with the C18, can it make much headway/speed against the wind?

Jenna

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:29 pm

I've never had less than 8 hp on the 22 but on our previous C18 we did have a 6 hp 4-stroke and it was a great little motor which easily pushed the boat along at hull speed. But I don't remember going through any really bad weather with that one so that's probably not much help.

I envy you. The D'Entrecasteaux Channel and Bruny Island have been on my boating bucket list for a long time now. We spent a few days on Bruny years ago and I've always wanted to go back. One of our members did a trip up the Gordon River from Strahan on one of the tourist boats years ago and along the way spotted a Careel 18 tied off to a tree on the river bank out there in the middle of nowhere. Magic!
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Hello there and welcome to the Careel family. I am biased in that I have a mark I careel 18. It is super simple to rig, can be set up by one person, easily set up by two people, easy to tow, simple to maintain and fun to spend time on the water with. My experience has been the simpler the boat the easier it is to maintain. I would recommend you to consider the 18. Maybe ask the owner of the 18 to take you out, see how to rig it, try to ly down in the cabin, get a feel for it. My 18 has a 8HP mercury 2 stroke, light enough to lift by 1 or two people and always enough grunt even when things get rough. Best to see her on the water if you can otherwise take the plunge and there are heaps of helpful people here that will guide you through any issues. Happy sailing!

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Jenna

My first Careel 18 had a 6hp which I used for a few years until it gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a 8hp which was a big improvement. I found the extra 2 hp made all the difference when pushing into a decent headwind and swell. The boat would just push through the waves rather than be slowed by them.

My current C18 has a 8hp 2 stroke outboard which came with the boat. When I replace this one, I think a 8hp or 9.9hp 4 stroke (they are the same motor) will be the go but that will be another day down the track.(it's only money)

Earlier in the year we motor/sailed into a 20kt headwind and 1.5m swell. We motored for about 4 hr through the night and sailed the rest during the day with one reef tucked in, covering nearly 42nm. It was a hard trip, but the boat sailed beautifully and handled the conditions very well.

Warwick
C18-226

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Postby paul trotter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Jeena,

Like everyone I’m also biased. I have owned a mark 1 for ten years and a mark 3 for three years. Loved them both.

I’m also lazy and I’ve never had a boat licence. They are not required for slow boats and for motors equal or less than 6hp.

I have a near new long shaft Yamaha 6hp with a high thrust prop that pushes my heavier mark 3 just fine. (Others rave about 4 strokes which are more fuel efficient but either heavier or rougher running).

I love 18s because I use mine often because.....

1. I never have to rely on crew
2. I can manage everything on my own (alas I prefer a two person mast raise:-) )
3. Maintenance is relatively low
4. Boat handling is much easier
5. You have big airs in Tasmania so I would look for the heavier Mark 3 but I stole your option from Tasmania via an earlier purchaser a few years back)

Good luck
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

Return to “Introduce Yourself”