careel eighteen centreboard

The place to go when you are new here!
tonahutu
Petty Officer

careel eighteen centreboard

Postby tonahutu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi all

New to this forum and relatively new to the ranks of Careel boat owners. I have a Careel eighteen. Problems with a jammed centreboard have been overcome. However, when all set to sally forth the winch cable frayed to breaking point. It will have to be replaced. The boat is in the water (virtually on the mud at low tide), the centreboard is in the 'up' position supported by only a couple of strands of cable.

I am unfamiliar with the winch cable/centreboard attachment configuration and would welcome any advice.

many thanks,
ray goodwin

maxm
Old Fart

Re: careel eighteen centreboard

Postby maxm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi Ray and welcome to the site!

Which C18 do you have? If it is Tonahutu then I think that's a Duncanson rather than a Careel. The Duncanson is the forerunner of the Careel 18 and slightly different. For instance, very few C18s had centerboard winches and they were later boats with heavier keels. Is your winch on the cockpit floor just outside the companionway? I can describe how to go about this for a C18 but it may not apply to your boat so I don't want to lead you astray.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

tonahutu
Petty Officer

Postby tonahutu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi Maxm
Many thanks for your message. Yes, the boat is named 'Tonahutu' with sail number 217 I think. I have assumed that it was a Careel but in view of your information I will have to do some research.

The anchor winch is on top of the centreboard casing in the cabin aft of the mast post. I have not tried dismantling anything yet but there appears to be a "U' bolt holding the cable attached to the rear edge of the board and then the cable is led by a pulley eventually to the winch. I am hopeful that I can remove the cover over this arrangement and so gain access.

will let you know how I get along.
regards
ray

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Well that's interesting... another look at my listings and I've turned up TWO boats named Tonahutu! One is a Duncanson, as mentioned. The other is a Careel 18 sail number 217 and supposedly is a fixed keeler! So now I'm completely baffled. :? A Duncanson can be easiest spotted by the timber cockpit coamings. This ad on Gumtree is for a Duncanson and you can pick out the brown timber coamings pretty readily https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tailem- ... 1110981540 ... On a Careel, the coamings would be fiberglass.

If that pulley is attached to the sampson post, just be sure NOT to take the table top off while the winch has the weight of the keel. You could snap the sampson post if you do.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

tonahutu
Petty Officer

Postby tonahutu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:46 pm

curiouser and curiouser . . . . I assume the boat I have is a Careel therefore. However, it does not have a fixed keel.

I see that in my previous post I inadvertently referred to the 'anchor' winch. I meant of course the centreboard winch. Probably explains your reference to the samson post in your message.

when it stops raining in Melbourne I will try and remove the metal frame housing the pulley arrangement on top of the keel. Hopefully, this will allow me to replace the cable.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:59 am

I'd assume you have a Duncanson. Centerboard winches are pretty unusual on 18's. Do you have timber cockpit coamings?

tonahutu wrote:I see that in my previous post I inadvertently referred to the 'anchor' winch. I meant of course the centreboard winch. Probably explains your reference to the samson post in your message.

No, I understood that you meant "centerboard winch" and the information about the sampson post is something you do need to be careful of. For clarity, the sampson post is that post in the middle of the cabin, just in front of the centerboard case.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Postby Mark III Amigo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:28 am

Hi there, it looks like you have a non standard keel winch arrangement for a careel. The standard arrangement for a mark 1 or Mark 2 is to have a pulley system or winch where the cable attaches to the top back of the centreboard (yes the top) and pulls the top back towards the compression past that sits inside under the mast. Looks like your setup attaches to the bottom at the back. You should be able to take the table off and get to it ok. If you want to look at the standard setup look for a post on this website called keel hauled. I think it’s a sticky.

tonahutu
Petty Officer

Postby tonahutu » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 pm

many thanks for your last message. Am pleased to be able to tell you that the problem has been resolved. As you describe I was able to access the winch linkage when I took the table off. Raising the keel after it had dropped was the biggest challenge.

will send a picture when I figure out how to attach it to the message.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”