HELP with a Careel 18 MK I

The place to go when you are new here!
Deanowens
Land Lubber

HELP with a Careel 18 MK I

Postby Deanowens » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:30 pm

I am looking to purchase a project Careel 18 MK I where I can not identify the hull number or find any other markings to get more information about it’s history. I’ve looked in the portside cockpit locker and there is no identification plate present. Any clues?

I haven’t purchased the boat yet and it is in poor shape but definitely salvageable. Are there any specific things to look for when checking out a MK I? Also, I am going to need a mainsail. Any sources?

Dean

maxm
Old Fart

Re: HELP with a Careel 18 MK I

Postby maxm » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi Dean and welcome to the site. Whereabouts are you located?

Our thread listing all boats has some clues about potential ways to identify boats. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4273

Also, if I recall correctly, I think some of the very early boats didn't have a plate in the locker. Instead they had the number written/painted somewhere not obvious. Maybe under the cockpit floor? If all else fails, you could have a look down around there from the bunks. Sounds like you don't have a mainsail from which to get a number off.

As for sourcing a mainsail - I bought a Rolly Tasker sail many years ago and was very happy with it. Several other members also bought their sails from them with no complaints and their pricing was very keen. Many local sailmakers will also have experience making Careel sails and do a great job, depending on where you are.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”