Careel 18 new owners with lots of questions

The place to go when you are new here!
tennissus
Land Lubber

Careel 18 new owners with lots of questions

Postby tennissus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi, I'm Susana and I have recently bought a Careel 18. My hubby and I have owned all size sailboats, Adams 35 (steel), Roberts 31 (wood and fibreglass), RL 28, Sonata 7, Red Jacket, and some home build ones. We have just sold our Roberts and feeling very sorry for myself I decided to buy a small trailer sailer. The one I bought is a Mk 1 in good condition for its age but needs a fair bit of work.
I have to make a new companionway hatch (ply is rotten) and I will have to replace some of the plywood inside.
The rigging needs replacing as the steel cables have wires sticking out. Is Spectra a good idea?

I plan on taking the boat out on my own so I am thinking that I need to either get a lighter mast or make up some system to put it up. I am unable to do heavy lifting due to a neck problem, so I would be interested in hearing what other people think, specially the ones who sail single handed.

The non skid is also in need of repair as it seems to have little holes in it, like the surface has become porous. I have recently sanded the non skid of our old boat and repainted the decks, but I am not sure how to go about it with this boat. Is it possible to clean the deck and repaint it without getting rid of the non skid?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just trying to work out what the best solutions would be.
Cheers,
Susana

No Way
Old Fart

Re: Careel 18 new owners with lots of questions

Postby No Way » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Welcome Susanna
You seem to have a grip on a few things and not others. For mast raising Mast Mate is a commercially available system for getting the mast up single-handed and others on here have made their own versions. Check the threads on forum through the search bar at top right of page. As for non-skid painting - I have done this and its easy. Firstly it[u] must[/u] be clean and because boat is old there will be no wax residue on surface so pressure wash after household detergent scrub should do. I use International Deck paint which has grit in it what ever color you like - mine is "deck cream" mixed 50/50 with white gives you soft beige color. Very carefully mask deck panels with top quality vinyl type (because it's very thin) masking tape not ANY of the paper tapes - you may have to use lots of overlapping short pieces on corners then use very sharp blade to cut the round. Use international grey undercoat strictly to instructions. I remove tape when touch dry so as not tear paint and not draw wet paint off the edges. If you drag any paint its still soft enough to clean off but be very careful not to make it worse.Then re-mask the same before 2 coats topcoat . Masking each time is very tedious but worth it for a good finish. I've re-coated once in twelve years and only needs 1 coat

tennissus
Land Lubber

Postby tennissus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks for that No Way! I think I will follow your advise with regards to painting. I will keep reading about mast raising. I just want to be able to do everything easily own my own.
Cheers

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 am

Hi Susana, welcome to the site and congratulations on your new boat!

Roughly where abouts are you? If you're in Sydney then you could contact Vern about his mast raising system. He's an older gent who has come up with a mast raising system for the C18. The problem with any mast raising system for a C18 is that it has to prevent the mast swinging sideways during the lift. Vern's system does that.

Hey no way thanks for your tip about painting the deck. Do you brush it on and then tip off? Or roller? And do you do the same for the rest of the deck? My boat has had the hull resprayed which makes the hull look great but the deck looks shabby in comparison.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

No Way
Old Fart

Postby No Way » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:59 am

Max. Just brush it on - fairly light coats so it doesn't fill the non-skid. The rough surface doesn't show brush marks. The smooth surface of the rest of the deck would be best sprayed. There will be plenty of people will tell you that its possible to brush/roller it but you'd have to be a true artisan with a paint brush to get a spray-like finish. Never seen a brush job on GRP that wasn't obvious. Just a note the International product I used feels like course sandpaper when finished but it does wear with time - so long as it keeps you on the deck its good

tennissus
Land Lubber

Postby tennissus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm in Loftus (south Sydney). I'd be interested in looking at any system that makes lifting the mast easy. To be honest with you I haven't tried stepping the mast yet, it may be easy enough. I'll have to take it outside and give it a try.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 pm

OK Susana, it's worth giving the mast raising a try before going too far down the other track. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the procedure so here it is.

On an 18, most of the hard work is actually done by your legs so it depends on how flexible your legs are. It's a matter of:
  • inserting the mast end into the tabernacle (mast fitting on the deck)
  • walk aft to the end of the cabin,
  • stand over the mast facing aft and with one foot either side,
  • squat down,
  • grab the mast,
  • stand up and walk back step by step feeding the mast hand over hand until it's vertical
Lowering is just a reverse of this procedure. It all sounds pretty easy if you say it quickly. :wink:

If you can have someone in the cockpit, under the mast helping to push it up for that first bit, that'll help quite a lot. And of course, failing that then there's the mast lifting gadgets.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

tennissus
Land Lubber

Postby tennissus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks maxm, that sounds easy enough! I will give it a go (sorry about my absence, we were renovating our house and was very busy). There is a wooden cradle for the mast, so that should help as well.
As soon as the really cold weather goes away I will give it a go.

Mango
Ensign

Postby Mango » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi Susanna, Congrats on your Mark1, I've had mine for 30 years and still love her.

Over the last 3 years I've refurbished the hull, cockpit, floor and keel of my boat. I'm lucky to have a mate Dave who's an expert on coatings and he's done most of the work. You can see what we did on You Tube under https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqwHxTfoa7w

I'm at Kogarah not too far from Loftus. Happy sailing!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”