New 22 owner

The place to go when you are new here!
rosselliott
Land Lubber

New 22 owner

Postby rosselliott » Sat May 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi all, nice to be part of a club that would have me as a member. Recently purchased a 22,number 60 I believe, called taniwha and according to the Victorian regestir formally called Rebecca Leigh. It was only by chance that I ended up with a careel after meeting the former owner at the public jetty in Paynesville, who decided to restore an old Tasmanian Huon pine motor launch.
After viewing taniwha all I can say it was love at first sight. Having owned a keel boat for many years and sailed the south and east coast to the Whitsundays and back I was contemplating a more affordable means of Boat ownership. A trailer sailer around 22' to 25' with tow weight under 2 tonne, thinking maybe a sonata 7 or cole 23 and then up pops the careel in ripping Nic good price and a no brainer. Haven't had an opportunity for a good sail yet but motoring from Paynesville to Nicholson it felt very solid for a trailer sailer and I love the open interior. The previous owner kept it in a pen so never lowered the mast and wasn't sure of the procedure but the owner before, called wazza I believe, had devised a system to single handedly raise/lower the mast. I unfortunately am having difficulties getting contact details for wazza so if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate
It. Looking forward to discovering what careels are all about and very impressed with all the info on the owners forum.
Regards Ross Elliott

maxm
Old Fart

Re: New 22 owner

Postby maxm » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the site and apologies for delayed welcome! I don't know how your original post slipped through the cracks but it did.

You made a great choice, the C22 is a great boat (OK so maybe I'm a little biased :wink: ). You'll find some info from wazza here on this site as he used to post. In fact, here's a thread where he discusses the mast on your boat - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3490

And here's the thread where he sold the boat (complete with photos) viewtopic.php?t=3943

And this thread discusses a few things about your boat, including an outline of how to raise the mast on a C22 (check near the bottom of the second page in a post by Watermark) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2553
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Jibsy
Ensign

Re: New 22 owner

Postby Jibsy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:08 am

Hello Ross and welcome to the 22 owners fraternity. I'd like to congratulate you on the purchase of Taniwha and I think you'll really enjoy sailing her as the 22 behave just like a small keeler. Having sailed alongside Taniwha a fair bit I am pretty familiar with your boat and will PM you for further info. One of the better cruising options you have fitted is the reefing furler which is really good if not lowering the mast often. If you are wanting to not keep the boat mast up it's a lot easier to revert to the standard hanked jibs or the dinghy type furler jib. Anyway happy sailing!
Laser 11
C22L-119 Quirky
No it's not a headache, I'd rather be sailing!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”