The place to go when you are new here!
jeremy
Ensign

Postby jeremy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:01 am

Hi there all,
i'm currently looking at purchasing either a Careel 18 or 22. As i sail mostly by myself i'm wondering how easy (or difficult) it is to launch either of these boats single handed, especially stepping the mast. Any feedback would be great. I still haven't decided on the 18 or 22. i guess it depends on whether there is much of a difference between the two when it comes to launching. i am slightly leaning toward the 22 as it provides greater headroom and cabin space.
looking forward to hearing back from anyone with good advice
Cheers
Jeremy
C18/350 - no name as yet
Newcastle

maxm
Old Fart

Re: new member

Postby maxm » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi Jeremy and welcome to the site. Sounds like you're off on the right path! :wink:

I've owned both a C18 and C22. In fact many (most?) of our C22 owners have come up from C18s and most have done it because of the extra space.

Both can be pretty simple to launch provided the trailer is a tilt trailer (most are). It can be as easy as attach a rope, unhook the boat, tilt the trailer a bit and hang on.

Retrieval depends on whether the trailer has an electric winch or not. I find my C22 easier to retrieve simply because of the electric winch. I can attach a rope to the stern and manage both the bow and stern while using a lanyard to operate the winch. The C18 was a manual winch and was a lot of work and tricky if doing it single handed in a cross breeze or current. I would not want to try retrieving a C22 with a manual winch.

On the other hand, the C18 mast was lighter and a snap to put up single handed. The C22 is heavier but many of us still do it single handed. That said, I wouldn't want to try stepping my C22 mast on the water whereas I often did that in the C18. Also, one of our members has developed a system for the C18 to make mast raising easy. I've not seen one for the C22 but have seen ideas on youtube that could be adapted.

So it's swings and roundabouts really. Both can be rigged, launched and retrieved single handed but how easy that is depends not only on the boat but what systems you've got in place to help. If you're near Sydney you can probably drop in on a cruise when the fleet is getting ready and check out both boats to get a better idea of the differences.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

jeremy
Ensign

Postby jeremy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks Max,
good advice. i think i should check a few out in the flesh first. how can i find dates for some Careel gatherings?
regards
Jeremy
C18/350 - no name as yet
Newcastle

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:29 pm

You'll find dates and general locations here. Precise locations and details may not be openly advertised for several reasons (including security) but if you PM me or leave a message here on the board when it's getting close to the event then we can pass on that info to you privately.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

jeremy
Ensign

Postby jeremy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:58 am

Thanks Max. however, i'm not sure what you mean by "PM me".
regards
Jeremy
C18/350 - no name as yet
Newcastle

jeremy
Ensign

Postby jeremy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi again, i'm wondering if anyone knows of any Careels sailing in and around the Newcastle, NSW district. I feel i really need to see some and perhaps get a feel for the mast stepping process involved before commit to buying one. Is there anyone out there with clever sure fire ways of singlehandedly raising the mast on a Careel 22. This is the only thing putting me off buying one as most of my sailing is single handed.
Thanks, Jeremy
C18/350 - no name as yet
Newcastle

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:01 pm

jeremy wrote:Thanks Max. however, i'm not sure what you mean by "PM me".
regards
Jeremy

On the right hand side of each post in the forum is a little button labelled "PM". If you click on it, you can send a Private Message to the person who put up that post. The message isn't seen by anyone other than those two people. So it's a bit like email but you don't need to know the other person's email address.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:14 pm

jeremy wrote:Hi again, i'm wondering if anyone knows of any Careels sailing in and around the Newcastle, NSW district. I feel i really need to see some and perhaps get a feel for the mast stepping process involved before commit to buying one. Is there anyone out there with clever sure fire ways of singlehandedly raising the mast on a Careel 22. This is the only thing putting me off buying one as most of my sailing is single handed.
Thanks, Jeremy

I've sent you a PM on this. :)
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Camel
Petty Officer

Postby Camel » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:06 am

jeremy wrote:Hi again, i'm wondering if anyone knows of any Careels sailing in and around the Newcastle, NSW district. I feel i really need to see some and perhaps get a feel for the mast stepping process involved before commit to buying one. Is there anyone out there with clever sure fire ways of singlehandedly raising the mast on a Careel 22. This is the only thing putting me off buying one as most of my sailing is single handed.
Thanks, Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, I can raise the mast on my 22 single handed with the use of the spinnaker pole and a pulley block and does not take long to rig and raise, I think the mast is 30kg, it can be done without assistance with no pulley block but a slip could be a serious worry. I'm in the Port Macquarie area.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”