considering a careel 22

The place to go when you are new here!
Captain daddy T
Land Lubber

considering a careel 22

Postby Captain daddy T » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi all, I have moved to Hervey Bay about 18months ago and quickly purchased a little windrush 14 catamaran. My wife and I have been taking our two little girls (2&4) out who love getting out on the water. my wife and i had been sailing a friends trailer sailer when we first met and I'm longing to explore further afield. The thought of overnight trips over near Fraser Island and day trips with friends are the plans. I had started looking at various brands and have come across the careel 22. they seem to look suitable. since you all own one you must like them. are there reasons these are better then others? Is it true they are a good stable cruising yacht?

is there anything particular to look out for when buying a careel?

feel free to add your 2 cents worth.

Tim.

maxm
Old Fart

Re: considering a careel 22

Postby maxm » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi Tim and welcome to the site. Of course you realise that you'll probably get completely and unashamedly biased opinions here? :wink:

Sorry, I can't really speak for the others because as far as trailer sailers go, I've only ever owned a Careel 18 and now a 22 but I can tell you that the C22 is definitely my pick. Much more stable than the C18 - the manufacturer (David Rose) claims that the C22 is self righting even with the keel fully raised. I've never tested that but I have done an entire race with the keel up (long embarrassing story) and aside from handling like a dog, she never felt like we were at any risk of anything nasty so I'm sure Mr Rose is right. The improved stability was definitely a selling point for my missus (she's a die hard five by fiver - no more than 5 knots of breeze, no more than 5 degrees of heel).

The C22 comes in long and short cabin variants but if you have a young family and want to do trips of a couple of days or longer then the long cabin is definitely the way to go. That's because there's much more room in the cabin while still having a good sized cockpit (for several reasons, I think the short cabin is better for those who are more racing orientated with occasional overnighters). You'll have growing room for the girls and comfortable space for yourself and the missus. With either variant you'll get adult sized full standing head room with the pop top raised (I have a son who stand about 6' 2" or so and he needs to nod a little). It's possible to kit out the pop top to be weatherproof and also provide complete privacy (I think a must with girls).

You will get similar benefits with other trailer sailers (eg I remember we had a good look at Sonatas a long time ago). But what none of them can offer is a group like this association. And I know that sounds like I'm banging our collective gong but honestly, it's worth quite a lot to have a collective group of like minded people to help you out.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Captain daddy T
Land Lubber

Postby Captain daddy T » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:06 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes you must like the boats to all own one so it would be odd for you to say go buy a sonata etc but you all must of made the decision at some stage. Also what better place to learn about these boats.

I like your point about pop top screening. Would be beniffical to keep some sandflies out too.

Is there anyone else that lives on the Fraser Coast?

theboats
Ensign

Postby theboats » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:16 pm

Make sure the hydraulics work and be aware the mast is heavy. The hydraulics can be repaired by the origional manufacturer but it is expensive.

Captain daddy T
Land Lubber

Postby Captain daddy T » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Yes been reading about the hydraulics. I'm a little scared about the ?rot that can be lurking under the center table. Sounds difficult to inspect.

Wasn't aware about the "heavy" mast. That was one of the reasons I bought the wind rush so I could rig myself. Hopefully I can store with the mast up and not have to lower to launch.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”