The place to go when you are new here!
Ensign

Postby 121 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi,

Many of you would know Ivana, #121, the mark 1 Careel 18 previously owned by David C, the reigning national champion.

Well a few weeks or so ago, Ivana changed hands, was hitched up, and towed down to her new home in Mansfield which is a suburb of Brisbane, about 12 KM S/E of the city and about a 30 minute or so drive to the various ramps to access Moreton Bay, south of the Brisbane river.

If Ivana could speak, she would probably complain that her new accommodation is not up to the standard she has come to expect, as instead of being housed under a nice properly roofed carport, she is now wrapped under two 'canvas' tarpaulin covers, secured to various points along the trailer with Ocky straps. At least she is pretty much safe from the sun, and bird, flying fox, and possum droppings. Ants however, seem to be very attracted to her, and persistently difficult to deter.

Anyway, Ivana is now owned by Geoffrey and Kathy, both mid 50s, and essentially sailing novices. Kathy has not sailed previously at all, and Geoffrey has never been on a trailer sailer, but did crew for a mate last year on his 43' steel yacht, up to the Whitsundays and back.

David has thoughtfully come out with us and shown us how to rig, launch, sail, de-launch and de-rig her, as well as answer lots of basic questions. He really is a very helpful and friendly gentleman.

Also, I have been reading posts on this site for a while and very am impressed with the helpfulness and positivity of the various members.

Anyway, that is probably more than enough for now,

Hope to meet some of you over time.

Geoffrey.

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Re: 121

Postby paul trotter » Wed May 25, 2016 9:58 pm

Geoffrey,

That is a great story and I am very pleased Cookie was of assistance.

We do hope you join us on some local cruises and maybe in the future some races. It has been fantastic to watch novices developing their skills and you are sure to find help locally with the CCYA fraternity.

The 'Hit the Skids' trip up the Bribie Passage would be a good introduction to the CCYA crowd as we always get a good turn out. This year it is held in August and offers some sailing in calm seas and some motoring and a great hot mealxat the Caloundra Power Boat Club.

I hope you can make it.

Vice Commodor North CCYA

Paul Trotter
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 am

Hi Geoffrey, welcome to the site and to Careeling.

I don't know what it is about Careels and ants. When I brought my C18 home for the first time, it had a full ants nest under the forward hatch!
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Thu May 26, 2016 5:57 pm

I also have a thriving colony in my mast!

They often come out to play while sailing.

Tell me a Careel that doesn't leak a bit or have an ant colony and I'll tell you that you don't own a Careel!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Fri May 27, 2016 6:03 am

Hi Geoffrey and Kathy

Welcome aboard and to the wonderful sometimes frustrating journey of owning a careel
I was like you guys when I first got my Careel ... with very little sailing experience and a half finished project boat ..
took me quite a few months before I even got on the water ...

My first sail was with the company of Dave cook, Mr Trotter and with Ex Careel owner Michael Yeates crewing ... it was great for the nerves

At times I thought I would never get the gist of sailing ... but with tips and encouragement from lots of fellow Careelers I've managed to work it out.
and now I am a fairly confident sailor.

so just get out when you can and enjoy your boat ...

BTW I am at Coorparoo not far from you guys ... so if you ever need a hand or have any questions give me a yell.

where have you been launching ... ?

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Postby Mark III Amigo » Fri May 27, 2016 6:30 am

That Byrds guy just posted, his name is Paul in case you were wondering. We have a few Pauls, he responds to other names too. Now I think I am Handy, but the Byrds makes me look like a hack. Definitely worth catching up with him, and his beautifully restored boat. :D

Ensign

Postby 121 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:33 pm

Gentlemen,

Thank you you for the replies to my initial post. A few thoughts in response...

I might be happy if the ants would be content to make do with the mast, or even the underside of the forward hatch, but the local ants prefer the comforts of the inner cabin, and apart from those that choose to repose under the seats, seemingly have a overwhelming preference for anything electrical, with the cabin light fitting their particular favorite.

I have already cut away the tree branches that were touching or very near 121, so I think the next step is to spray the trailer tyres as I now presume they are coming up from the ground, rather than down the tree branches, as I first thought.

Paul T - David C has already mentioned about the 'Skids' trip to us, and it sounds very appealing, so if we can get away that weekend, we would certainly like to join you all.

I think it will be a long time before I would have near confidence to consider racing myself but would certainly be willing to crew for anyone, and learn the ropes that way, if anyone wants a novice crew member at any stage.

I also noticed another post string on site about Lake Wivenhoe in a fortnight or so time, but am unsure if it is a reference to a race meeting or a 'cruise' meeting. Anyway I will post a couple of questions about it on the relevant post.

Byrdsworth - Kathy and I have only been out the once so far, from Cabbage Tree Creek last weekend with David.

We have looked at a few ramps - one at Colmslie that looks good (it has a floating jetty), apart from a scarcity of parking (because some large rowing/dragon boats seem to be permanently parked there) but that one is also a fair way from the river mouth, and would have a fair amount of tide. We also looked at another ramp at a creek a bit closer to the river mouth, but decided that it is only suitable for dingies, and also too isolated.

We were also going to look at the ramp at Whyte Island, but ended up at Wynnum because we were confused about the road we were on, or more precisely how to get off it, and onto the port road. Will head down the gateway and take the Port Rd turnoff directly from it to have a look.

Kathy went down to look at the Wellington Point ramp, but said that she was worried about the number of rocks around the ramp.
I have read that the Cleveland ramp is good, and it looks that way on the satellite view. There is also Manly, which is prpbably the closest to us here at Mansfield, but it might be a bit 'busy' for us yet. If you would like to make any recommendations I would appreciate it.

This weekend, even though the wind is predicted to drop from what it has been today, we will probably just hitch up and go around somewhere to the nearby industrial estate, or suchlike, so that we can practice rigging (still lacking confidence) and reversing the trailer.

Small world story - I grew up in Coorparoo - I spent my first 19 years there, and a couple more a bit later. We were at the Greenslopes / Stones Corner end of Coorparoo, - Raby Rd, which runs of Cornwall St at one end, and Rialto St at the other.

I will doubtlessly have lots of questions along the way, and also look forward to future meetings, and looking over everyones Careels.

Geoffrey.

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Sat May 28, 2016 5:56 am

Geoffrey

check out the ramp at Manly inside the marina

it's at the southern end of the marina just next to the big racks where they store the power boats

it is a fairly quiet ramp ... has a pontoon and is very protected being inside the marina ...

I launch there a fair bit it is a cruisey ramp ... Raby bay is a good ramp ... but very busy on weekends

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Ensign

Postby 121 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:51 pm

Byrdsworth,

I had just assumed it would be extra busy there, so hadn't seriously considered it as suitable for us.

As you say it is well protected, and there are plenty of parks as well, looking at the view on Google Earth, so we will take a run down for an inspection.

Thanks for the tip.

Geoffrey.

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Sat May 28, 2016 9:36 pm

Geoffrey,

My comments on ramps that I use regularly on Moreton Bay.

Spinnaker Sound on Pumicestone Passage - excellent
Scarborough Boat Harbour - two ramps both good
Clontarf - Excellent
Shorncliffe Sinbad Steet - Excellent
Shorncliffe Baxter Street - too exposed and bad parking - dont use
Manly boat harbour - Excellent
Raby Bay - Excellent but a good place to break your arm :-) a bit rocky
Cleveland - big ferries give it a miss - don't use
Victoria Point - too exposed - don't use
Redland Bay - excellent but can be very crowded

Other options further afield....

Golden Beach ramp - Good
Lake Cootharaba and Tewantin Ramps good
Tin Can Bay ramp - excellent
Urangan Boat Ramp - excellent
Logans Inlet Wivenhoe - excellent
Lake Wyalong - very steep and long
Southport Yacht Club - fine but crowded
Kennedy Drive Tweed okay but mast problem

When too much Careeling is never enough!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

Ensign

Postby 121 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:31 pm

Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to type up that list of ramps.

The list is very comprehensive, and knowledge of the ramps best avoided, will doubtlessly save us some aggravation when we get the confidence to go 'exploring'.

Cheers,

Geoffrey.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”