Newby but a goody

The place to go when you are new here!
Ray
Petty Officer

Newby but a goody

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:38 pm

I am a newby to sailing, well I suppose an old newby at seventy two but fit, I think at least. I would like to get an easy boat to sale on Lake Macquarie NSW where we live. I am interested in a Careel 18 or 22 but I think the 22 might be a bit too big to handle and tow with a Falcon sedan although it seems to handle our caravan OK. I am looking at a 1980 18 footer that seems to be in good condition with an asking price of $9500 but have no idea if this is fair or not. Any help about this would be much appreciated.
Ray

don47
Old Fart

Re: Newby but a goody

Postby don47 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:14 pm

You haven't given us to much detail there Ray however, I'll assume that the boat being built 1980 is either a late mk1 or a mk2. in which case depending on overall condition, features, sails, etc, it could be representing a very fair price.
Don.

GlenH
Ensign

Postby GlenH » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi Ray, I agree with Don, but not much to go on. Make sure the trailer is in good order as there can be costs in getting it up to scratch,
Regards
Glen
Glen H
'Maja Fun Too' C18/109

Ray
Petty Officer

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:46 am

Thank you all for your responses. The boat seems to be in very good 'nick' (I have been told by people who know more about it than me). I have bought the boat (Careel 18 433) but am in a bit of tangle about various aspects of the rigging etc and suspect there may be pieces missing (main rear sheet for instance). I have tried to find some diagram on the net that shows exactly how she is rigged but without success but I am slowly getting through it and looking forward to putting it in the water with some reservations. When I got her home on the trailer I found some water under the cockpit that was not visible earlier, I removed it and it has since dried out but I am worried there maybe a leak somewhere. The guy I bought it from told me it hadn't been in the water for three years and that appeared to be true as I had to pressure wash the decks to remove some green mould and leaves. Apart from that, now that the boat is cleaned up it appears to be in very good condition.

Thanks so much for your help, if anyone has some sort of diagram that shows how it is rigged that could be a great help.

Many thanks
Ray

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:29 am

Ray, got your PM & of course most welcome to attend Meet & Greet on the 23rd at Wangi RSL as are all others, new, old, interested or whatever !
We can make some time & help to sort out any issues /questions on that day if you like.
I see you reside in Wangi, be aware of the power lines near boat ramp if standing rig ashore, unless they've been relocated !
Don.

Ray
Petty Officer

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:58 am

Thanks Don, appreciate your help. I don't anticipate putting the boat in the water before your meeting comes up. Looking forward to any advice and help that maybe available, (I need it!).
Off to have a look around Whitworths today for pins (the one that holds the boom to mast), pulleys and silicone spray which I am told when sprayed into the sail slot makes raising the mainsail a little smoother.

Thanks again.
Ray.

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:23 pm

With that sail track, a good warm to hot soapy wash works wonders together with a piece of very fine wet / dry wrapped around a slug or suitable & worked through a couple of times.
Don.

Ray
Petty Officer

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:28 pm

Thanks Don, that sounds like a good tip. Could you also tell me what the rope coming out below the keel winch is for, does it indicate the position of the keel or does it trigger some locking mechanism? Do you need to lock the keel in the down position? Sorry to bombard you with all these questions.

Cheers
Ray
0412 406 218

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:42 pm

Does your boat have a keel winch in the middle of the cockpit floor/cabin door area, Ray?
I suspect it does!
If so, there is probably a cleat beside it on the right hand side (looking towards bow) which is the keel lockdown.
Good idea to lock the keel (centre board) down especially in any sort of windy or rough condition as it stops it from swinging fore/aft in the case (causing damage) as the boat climbs a wave or dives down into a trough. Being locked down also provides benefits in the unlikely hood of a capsize. Doesn't happen often especially with your bigger CB at 186kg but, could occur.
Don.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”