Saying Hi from Canberra

The place to go when you are new here!
seanslife
Land Lubber

Saying Hi from Canberra

Postby seanslife » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:04 pm

G'Day Careelers
My name is Sean and I have recently moved to the ACT after several years living in the green of Northern England. I've been sailing on and off most of my life. I own an Ian Oughtred Tammie Norrie which took me three years to build (see seansboatbuild.blogspot.com.au ) and previous to that we've owned a Northerner 28 on Lake Macquarie. Whilst in the UK I manged to get my Day Skipper prac, Day Skipper theory and Coastal Skipper qualifications, and I'm studying for the Coastal Skipper theory now (well, I'm supposed to be).
I'm interested in a Careel 18 because of the active society and support, the reported stability and handling of the boat, and the ability to handle it 'one-up' sailing and launching. Ideally I'd like a cruising Careel 18 that I can spend a few nights on... and I dream of the Whitsundays...
I'm off to view this example on the weekend which I believe is an early Mk1 (although the vertical brace on the forward window might mean its a Duncason/Compass?). Anyone know of this boat being sold by Shirley? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/flynn/sa ... 1081544151

Any ACT Careelers out there?

Thanks for providing a thorough body of knowledge and collection of experts.

Sean

Boataddict
Land Lubber

Re: Saying Hi from Canberra

Postby Boataddict » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:52 am

G'day Sean,
I joined this forum just the other day after looking at that Careel that shirley is trying to sell...

It's pretty tired, the serial number is illegible but if you take a torch you might be able to make it out. it is sort of what i want as well for the same reasons you state, but a few things really turned me off:

1 - trailer - rusty, tired, wheels and tyres shot, axle very rusty, bearings and hubs probably ok. Worst part is it has no brakes so will almost definitely be illegal to tow and needs more rollers/supports fitted.
2 - sails and motor weren't with the boat so i didnt get to see them (boat is about 40mins out of town near bungendore). I was assured they work and are in good used condition so assume they are servicable.
3 - rot in the keel in a few spots especially where hull rests on rollers causing damage to fibreglass and exposing the timber.

I am still considering making an offer on it but would need to get a tilt tray out there (or car trailer) to get it home where i can do the trailer modifications and replace all the suspension/axle/wheels/tyres/hubs, install brakes and fix the supports. But i'm not all that keen for a project at the moment.

also the swing keel is rusty but seems to move freely. it may want to come out for a good clean and rust treatment before it gets worse. Also it was full of spiders and cobwebs so dont put anyone inside who is arachnophobic...

Cheers,
Martin.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi Sean and welcome to the site.

I don't think that's a Duncanson although it's hard to be sure from the couple of photos. Most Duncansons had timber cockpit coamings. It does look like an early Mk I and the trailer looks like a Messent which are supposed to be bulletproof.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

seanslife
Land Lubber

Postby seanslife » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, I'll let you know how I get on

Sean
Marooned in Canberra

(www.seansboatbuild.blogspot.com.au)

Boataddict
Land Lubber

Postby Boataddict » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi Sean, did you get to see Shirley's old girl today? What do you think of the "special" adjustable supports on the trailer?!? I wasn't sure what to make of them....

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Well,, which one of you was successful in purchasing Shirl's boat or did you both miss out ?
Don.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”