New owner of a C18 #438 - Lil Annie is back!

The place to go when you are new here!
Algis
Petty Officer

New owner of a C18 #438 - Lil Annie is back!

Postby Algis » Mon May 04, 2015 9:25 pm

Hey fellow Careelers,

I'm the proud new owner of a 1983 MkII C18 - Lil Annie, with a stainless steel keel and a MkIII rudder (it weighs 20kg!). I purchased her from Adam in Lake Macquarie in January. She came with a bundle of accessories, including bimini, whisker pole, a boxful of appliances etc.

Outside of some crewing, I'm a complete novice at sailing. Getting her rigged up the first time was daunting, but was straightforward once I got going. I have sailed her twice so far with the jib only. I haven't successfully put the mainsail up - raising the mainsail through the mast track proved tricky (the sail would jump out and would require a lot of tension to keep in place) and simply didn't have an idea as to how the lock down the tack eye. Should I be pinning it to the gooseneck or it may get held down by one of the ropes drawn from the cockpit that has an S hook at its end?

She's in excellent condition. My only plan at this stage is to complete the electrics - someone has previously partially prepared the electrics (including fuse, terminal and switch blocks and solar panel regulator, but stopped there) and I intend to cable in the nav lights, accessory circuits along with a new panel and battery.

Happy to join the team.

Algis

maxm
Old Fart

Re: New owner of a C18 #438 - Lil Annie is back!

Postby maxm » Tue May 05, 2015 7:43 pm

Welcome to the gang Algis and congratulations on your new family member!

If your sail has a bolt rope and it's popping out of the track then it may need some attention from a sail maker. In which case I can recommend getting slugs fitted rather than another bolt rope. I did that to my old mainsail and wouldn't change back now. It doesn't cost much and it definitely makes getting the sail up and down MUCH easier. You lose a little bit of performance but unless you're a keen racer you won't notice the difference.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Algis
Petty Officer

Postby Algis » Tue May 05, 2015 10:50 pm

Thanks Maxm - any idea how much it would be to convert the mainsail over to slugs? Or where I can get this done in Sydney? I hear that the slugs can be connected to sail tape which is then sewn onto the sail.

I'll see if I can adjust my feeder to help in the meantime and give the track a good spraying of silicone :D .

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Wed May 06, 2015 6:06 pm

Algis

I changed my mainsail to slugs myself and left the bolt rope in place. I spoke to some sail makers here in Brisbane and was advised it would not make any difference to the sail if left on. (They make new sails with bolt ropes and slugs or tape and slugs)

I purchased the slugs (8mm dia), screw type sail shackles and some grommets to suit from the sail maker and half and hour later job done.

You need to check that the slug sits free of the bolt rope (S.Steel looped slugs were better), the grommets were close to the bolt rope but that doesn't seem to be a problem and the sail shackles needed to be a little longer than what I could get from Whitworths.

The top slug was a little longer and had a s.steel loop.

I placed then about 0.8-0.9m evenly along the sail with the top one about 0.6m from the top.

The grommets were easy to install, some large hammer punches 6,8,10,12mm and a ball hammer and a bit of practice.

Warwick
Woz C18-#226

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Wed May 06, 2015 6:40 pm

I had the sail recut, some minor repairs done, the bolt rope reset and slugs installed. Sorry Algis, I don't remember how much that was (years ago now) but I know I thought it was fairly cheap considering I got a sail that'll last me for years longer yet. I'm guessing it was somewhere around the $100-200 mark but that is just a guess. As Woz says, the sailmaker kept the bolt rope and installed slugs over that.

Now I have to do is slide all the slugs into the track at the ramp when rigging and just use some shock cord wrapped around the mast to stop them falling out. Raising or lowering sail is just a matter of hauling on the halyard or letting it go. There's no need to feed or collect anything so it's a simple one man operation.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:10 pm

The mainsail should not be fixed to gooseneck & should be hoisted to top of mast.
The rope coming from the cockpit with the S bend would obviously be your Cunningham & should be attached to one of the eyes in bottom of mainsail luff, preferably the top eye.( I'm guessing there are two eyes in the luff about 100-150 apart.) The other eye you can simply wrap tie around mast with 2-3m spectra to hold sail close into mast. Don't tie to tightly but so it just allows for sliding up/down mast.
Sure, if currently the bolt rope is to small it can pop out of the track. If the bolt rope Dacron wrap opening appears a bit loose you could get the correct sized bolt rope refitted & pulled through the now. NB: Some bolt ropes are well known for their sinkage quality depending on their brand.
Don.

Algis
Petty Officer

Postby Algis » Tue May 12, 2015 3:35 pm

don47 wrote:The mainsail should not be fixed to gooseneck & should be hoisted to top of mast.
The rope coming from the cockpit with the S bend would obviously be your Cunningham & should be attached to one of the eyes in bottom of mainsail luff, preferably the top eye.( I'm guessing there are two eyes in the luff about 100-150 apart.) The other eye you can simply wrap tie around mast with 2-3m spectra to hold sail close into mast. Don't tie to tightly but so it just allows for sliding up/down mast.
Sure, if currently the bolt rope is to small it can pop out of the track. If the bolt rope Dacron wrap opening appears a bit loose you could get the correct sized bolt rope refitted & pulled through the now. NB: Some bolt ropes are well known for their sinkage quality depending on their brand.

So that's what the Cunningham is! Right - this seemed to be the best option as it allows for adjustment in tension after raising the sail with the halyard. I'm getting to grips with sailing terms and techniques here! :D Thanks Don.

I gave the mainsail track a good spray of silicone spray and with a bit of guidance, the mainsail went up without any issues this time.

Good to here that the option to replace the rope with slugs is cost effective, particularly if additional life is added to the sail in the process.

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:19 pm

I'd & do run a slug thru the boom track to its end to hold the mainsail & for easy outhaul adjustment but, would never run them up the stick myself.
Don.

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Thu May 14, 2015 9:47 pm

Algis, well here's a six degrees of separation. I work with Perrin who showed me pictures of your latest trip. Well done buying a C18 and I hope you have many many happy days with the boat.

If you haven't done the bolt rope / slug conversion yet, try some silicone spray along the bolt rope and the mast track. Just don't get it on the deck (ask me how I know this!!). From Perrin's pics you need to get the sail as high as you possibly can - get some stretch into the bolt rope. Alternatively on these older sails the bolt rope tends to harden and not stretch as well as when they were new - my sail guy put a new piece into mine and it made a huge difference, I was able to control the shape of the sail much better. With yours, if you can pull it as high as possible then pull the boom or the cunningham down real hard to re-stretch the bolt rope - might help.

Regards
James
Katrina C18/200

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Thu May 14, 2015 9:51 pm

Oh, and if your trailer has a split capability you put the bottom part of the tyres in the water ONLY, you then pull the pin (or whatever) and the trailer hinges up and the boat goes into the water.

The benefit is that the bearings don't go in the water. When you've been, say an hour or so on the road the bearings will warm up, put them in the cold, salty water and the internal pressure change will suck in the water. This is why, on a fine summer day you'll see several stink boats lined up on the hard shoulder of the M1 on the way back from the Central Coast to Sydney on Sunday evening!
Katrina C18/200

maxbicyclemax
Old Fart

Postby maxbicyclemax » Sat May 16, 2015 11:47 am

Just a quick note on your main halyard. Raising the main.

I've got a few health issues so I need to make things as light/easy as I can. My mainsail is also the old original, was hard to raise and needs heaps of tension.

So I made my main halyard 2:1 easy to lift, easy to tension. But twice the length of rope to deal with.

I also just put 1 slug at the head of the sail.

Cheap and works for me
Classic C18 as seen on the front cover of Cruising Helmsman Jan 1983.
Has anybody out there got a copy of that magazine?

mjames
Old Fart

Postby mjames » Sat May 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Lil annie, probably one of the best c18s around. I think she was on the gold coast for a while and maybe Victoria before that. From memory she was very well equipped.. I think you will find some older photos on this site and also trailersailer.com of lil annie.
Give the track a good clean with warm soapy water ,thin sponge and high pressure wash. then give a good spray with silicon spray. I d spray mine once a month. I also put a decent exit box, turning block and a cabin top winch along with a sail feeder. Never had to leave the cockpit. Had the sail up very fast and never jammed either.
ex owner of C 18 194 Aeolian
Northshore 27 Turning Point

michael james

Return to “Introduce Yourself”