New Careel 18 owner

The place to go when you are new here!
Gray Matter
Petty Officer

New Careel 18 owner

Postby Gray Matter » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi team, have recently acquired 457 "Skye Mist" I believe a 1988 built Mk3. She was in need of some love but good bones. I am from the Sunshine Coast but currently spend most of my time in Gladstone as I am skipper on tugs and roll on roll off landing craft. I have a couple of young lads, 6 and 9 years old and I wanted to get them into sailing as I did through trailer yachts. I was introduced into sailing with my Dad in 1974 in a Hartley 14 followed by a 16 and then an 18 Hartley. Then into dinghy racing in a Frisco, then Thorpes and Sabres followed by Light Weight Sharpies & 505's on the Maroochy River and off Mooloolaba. Spent many seasons swimming around the Maroochy River trying to right and then bail out the Thorpe!! :D I started and ran a sailing School at Mooloolaba yacht club in the 90's. After this spent five years skippering Super Yachts around the Mediterranean and Caribbean and did some Classic big schooner racing and "J" boat racing in Antigua and St.Tropez. I enjoy one design racing and won a couple of Australian and State Championships in the 505 and SB3 classes.
Now days I love nothing more then sailing and camping on the Careel 18 with my 2 sons and tinkering with the set up and getting her back into shape.

I have really enjoyed reading your forums and have a few good old mates with Careel's who are assisting me with best set ups for the Careel. My wife is constantly amazed at how much time and money I seem to be able to put into an 18 foot vessel! Wow I have only just started :D Will post some pictures and short articles to share my journey, cheers Phil G

don47
Old Fart

Re: New Careel 18 owner

Postby don47 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:19 pm

Glad it's all coming together & working out for you & family Phil.
You've got that 3 looking fantastic, they are a great boat, happy you got that.
Are you able or intending to be at the B2B at all this year or will work be a stopper ?
Regards Don.
Don.

Gray Matter
Petty Officer

Postby Gray Matter » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:54 am

Hi Don, cheers for reply. Work is still pretty busy but will certainly try to make a few regattas. Really enjoy sailing the Careel, they are a great well balanced boat, can see why you guys all got into them. Actually going to China late June for a regatta in the Far East 28. Hamilton Island is the only regatta I have booked this year so will stay in touch and hopefully catch up at a regatta,

Cheers,

Phil

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:40 am

I'll look forward to that catch up Phil !
Maybe even a Cootharaba winter cruise for a few days based out of Boreen with all the Qld gang might be in order.
It's hard to beat a day or five around that area, the Everglades or a motor down to Noosa plus an evening with a steak & beers whilst barracking for 'The Blues' during a State of Origin at the best pub in Qld.
Don.

michael yeates
Old Fart

Postby michael yeates » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:36 pm

Welcome Phil ...
As it turns out we were driving south along Bradman Avenue on Easter Monday I think it was and just happened to notice a Careel with 457 on it ... sailing very nicely towards the mouth of the river and well worth a photo ... if only there was somewhere to park ... which there wasn't ... so while at the traffic lights, we watched as it disappeared behind Chambers Island ...!! Then this post turned up ... explained it all ...!! :D
ex-C18 372 ... but still interested.
Michael Yeates

Gray Matter
Petty Officer

Postby Gray Matter » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi Michel, cheers for the message. Wow small world, had my dad out that day for a sail with his grand kids for his 78th birthday! Thought it would be great to take him out where he started me sailing all those years ago, cheers,

Phil G

Return to “Introduce Yourself”