New to Marley Point Race

The place to go when you are new here!
JohnD
Petty Officer

New to Marley Point Race

Postby JohnD » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am

Hi all,

I own a Careel 18 Mark 1 number 88 Bumper! and am going down to the Marley Race this year for the first time. Any tips would be appreciated.

Look forward to meeting other Careelers down there!

Cheers,

John Dwyer
Kogarah, Sydney

maxm
Old Fart

Re: New to Marley Point Race

Postby maxm » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi John and welcome to the site and congratulations on your new family member Bumper!

I've only done the Marlay once and that was in a C22 so can't offer much advice except maybe try to get some sleep beforehand. Also try to have enough crew that you can take turns getting some rest during the race because they can drag out. There is usually a good Careel contingent down there for the event and I'm sure this year will be no exception so keep an eye open for them in the channel near the club house.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Kathryn Blencowe
Ensign

Postby Kathryn Blencowe » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:10 am

Hi John,
Are you doing the usual NSW rush job or do you have some spare time?
We have 3 18's entered from Carrum Sailing Club (Victoria) and 1 22. The 18's are Magic Bus, Indulgence and Casper. I think Magic Bus and Casper intend moseying down to Marlay Point by water from Paynesville Thursday & Friday. If you are lucky, you have a spare person to take the trailer to Paynesville after you launch and so you and your crew can get some shut eye. If not its launch at Marlay, drive to Paynesville, get the bus back to Marlay Point have tea, listen to weather report then go.
Just give a yell at any Careels you see including Eskimo or Freestyle(22's)
The last couple of years have been real drifters, so hopefully this year there will be sufficent wind so most sailors can get a result.
Kathryn.

JohnD
Petty Officer

Postby JohnD » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi Max and Kathryn,

Thanks for the advice.

Myself and two mates are leaving Sydney early Friday morning so will arrive on Friday evening.

We normally sail with the Royal Australian Navy Sailing Assoc (RANSA) at Rushcutters Bay in Sydney on Friday evenings having a ball on my mate's 28 foot Clansman (Sylvara).

We got to talking about the Marley and it turns we've all had a hankering to do the race so for the last couple of weeks I've spent an inordinate amount of money freshening up my Careel to meet the cat 5N requirements.

We're all looking forward to the adventure of a night race in unfamiliar waters and to meet some fellow sailing souls.

Cheers,

John

JohnD
Petty Officer

Postby JohnD » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi Careelers,

We're planning to to arrive at Lake Wellington Yacht Club early evening on Friday night so we'll launch on Saturday morning.

Is the club open on the Friday night? Do they have food there or a bar?

We plan to sleep in hte boat or in tent nearby the Club, is thta allowed?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

John

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:36 pm

The club is open. Don't recall if they have food and a bar open. I vaguely remember taking an esky and using the BBQ but I could easily be wrong.

Yes, you can sleep on your boat. If you can, try to take a tarp to lay over the boom. That'll give you some extra room and keep the dew off if you want to sleep out in the cockpit on the Friday night. It can get fairly foggy in the early hours down there.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:15 pm

If you have time (and from my experience) it is worth launching at the finish and motoring to the start so you can see what it is all about in daylight. For the start, begin about halfway along the line and reach towards the pin until the gun and then be careful entering the straits because there are no rules, just barge and bash. This event is more about getting to the finish than anything else.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

Kathryn Blencowe
Ensign

Postby Kathryn Blencowe » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:40 pm

John, the website mentions bar and possible snack food for Friday night, so I wouldn't rely on getting a good feed there Friday night. Depending on what time you go through you could maybe get a counter meal at Stratford, or drop your boat off at Marlay Point and go into Sale where there is a lot more choice both meal and shopping wise if you need anything.
On Saturday Cobain's primary school run a canteen with hamburgers, steak Sandwiches etc. Plenty of room at Marlay to set up a tent or sleep on the hard or launch and sleep on the boat.

JohnD
Petty Officer

Postby JohnD » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 am

Thanskj very much for the info, no chance fo starving now!

We're looking forward to a fun race!

Cheeers,

John

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:24 am

You will enjoy fella's, it's a great event.
Hope the breeze hangs in for you but is also not to strong.
On the few occasions I've done it you could always buy a beer upstairs on the Fri night and they MAY be able to heat you up a pie.
But, the BBQ (cook yourself & own) is ok or what we've also done is drop the tlr off as Kathryn suggests & head off to Sale and get a good feed into you.
Upon return you'll always find a few upstairs having a beer.
We've always slept in boat & put in on the Sat morn.
Good trip & luck .
Don.

JohnD
Petty Officer

Postby JohnD » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:03 am

Hi Don,

Sounds good, we've put in a lot of hours over the last few weeks to get the bpat up to scratch.

We've even renamed her as "Mango Madness" as Mang is my name as a Scout Leader.

Cheers,

John

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 pm

OK... Good luck then !
Enjoy the ride !
Don.

Mango
Captain

Postby Mango » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:19 am

Hi all,

I am picking up on my posts on the Marley Point Overnight race last year under JohnD, new monicker Mango (Scout Leader name). Boat name is now Mango Madness (previously Bumper).

The advice I was given by the forum members for my first Marley race was excellent and we had a ball down there. We started dead last but thanks to a great crew crossed the line 25th in Div A (16th on handicap). There was only two minutes between Casper, Magic Bus and my boat at the finish line which made for an exciting conclusion to a great sail.

To top it off I won the 2nd prize in the raffle which is 3 nights on a 32 metre yacht on the Gippslsand Lakes, leaving from Meetung courtesy of Riviera Nautic who run yacht charters on the lakes.

After the race we had the chance to chat with some of the Vic Careelers comparing boat set ups, they are regulars at Marley.

I was thinking we have enough boats for a team entry to the race this year (minimum is 3 yachts of any one class - there were six 18's last year),there are a couple of trophies available being the Lindsay Dack Trophy and Adam Brighton Trophy.

Cheers,

John "Mango" Dwyer
Mango Madness
Careel 18/88

I'll be heading down to Marley again this year and am looking forward to doing the race with a bit more local knowledge.

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Can't interest you & at least one of your crew competing the week before at the Nats/Muster - Lake Macquarie.
Not only would you gain some valuable experience but also get to meet some of the Careel people from your own backyard which may come in handy for either race and/or cruise purposes in the future.
Good luck down at the MPONR in any case !
Don.

Mango
Captain

Postby Mango » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:22 am

Hi Don, thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I'll be down at the Avalon Air Show this year when the muster is on. Next year I'll be able to make it as the show is on only every second year. Cheers, John

Return to “Introduce Yourself”