Towing

The place to go when you are new here!
Aileron
Land Lubber

Towing

Postby Aileron » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:06 pm

Hi everyone.
I'm interested in buying a Careel 22 and keeping it rigged at a local yacht club and launching it when needed.

My question is I have a Commodore SV6 and was wondering if it was strong enough to pull the yacht out of the ramp? What has been your experience?
Thanks,

Andy.

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Towing

Postby maxm » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi Andy and welcome to the site.

To answer the question, last year we weighed a fairly typical long cabin C22 and it came in at 1,400 kg for the boat alone. That means without the trailer (but with all sails, mast, rigging and outboard). So depending on what kind of trailer is sitting under the boat, you could need to tow somewhere around 1,700 - 1,800 kg plus add on a bit extra if you've got food, water, beer, fuel, clothes, etc.

What is the towing limit for your Commodore? I suspect you'd be getting pretty close to the limit.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Aileron
Land Lubber

Postby Aileron » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi Max, and thanks for the welcome.

My car manual says I can tow 750 kg unbraked and 2100kg braked trailer, so I think I'm ok.

I was more interested in the ability of the car to pull the boat up a ramp. Being two wheel drive it might skid? What sort of car do most members have?

As a teenager my family had a Careel 22 (sail number 37) and I loved sailing in it. It was fast and stable and I especially liked sleeping in it overnight. Now I'm in a position to purchase one I still think it would be a good choice even after all those years.

Thanks for your help.

Andy.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:26 pm

I've always towed my 22 with a 4WD so it's a bit different but I can't remember ever having trouble at the ramp with either of my boats. With the splitting trailer, you don't usually go in far enough that the car wheels are in the wet and slime. You're normally just up to the rims or maybe the hubs on the rear-most trailer wheels. The car wheels are high and dry.

Also, even though I'm using a fourbie in AWD mode, all that means is that whichever wheel spins most easily gets all the power (I'm not supposed to lock the transfer case on concrete). Which is another way of saying that if there does happen to be a slippery patch on the ramp, whichever wheel is in it will spin and the other three won't move. As I say, I can't remember ever having a problem.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Aileron
Land Lubber

Postby Aileron » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:26 pm

Well that sounds promising.

On another topic, NSW rules and regulations.

Does the trailer have to be inspected every year for rego?

Also, do I have to have some sort of licence to operate the yacht?

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:31 pm

Yes you need trailer registration which means an annual pink slip. Basically, they just check the wheel bearings and that the lights work. If the trailer has brakes (C22 trailers should) then they may give the brakes a quick check.

No, you don't need a boat license unless you're travelling at more than 10 knots. Good luck getting any Careel anywhere even close to 10 knots. Most will do 5-6 knots tops.I swear I saw mine touch 7 one time going down a biggish wave! That said, it doesn't hurt to have a boat license and it does mean you'll learn about things that are good to know like what the cardinal marks and lateral marks mean.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Aileron
Land Lubber

Postby Aileron » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:56 pm

I see.
According to the RMS website the boat itself needs to registered too. Any sailing boat longer than 5.5 metres. I think it would be $147 per year. Would that be accurate?

Thank you for your time also.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:45 pm

Yes a Careel 22 needs to be registered in NSW. From memory, an 18 is borderline and I think some people don't register them but personally I would just to save arguments. I'm not sure how much rego costs but it's never struck me as being overly pricey.

There are no inspections, you just cough up some money.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”