Hi from Andy + buying tips for trailers for 18?

The place to go when you are new here!
andymac
Land Lubber

Hi from Andy + buying tips for trailers for 18?

Postby andymac » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi Careelers,

I'm about to take possession of my dear-departed dad's old Careel 18. Can't remember her number off the top of my head but pretty sure she's a Mk1, and unfortunately she has been sadly neglected since dad passed away. She's currently in Brisbane, and I'm looking to take her with me when I relocate to Hobart later this year and restore her -- or at least get her sailing again!

The first item on the long list of things that need attention is the trailer. The one she's sitting on has been patched up before and is now beyond repair.

Does anyone have any advice on getting a new trailer for the 18? Any recommendations for Brisbane-based suppliers?

Thanks in advance! I've had a dig around on the forum and there was only one thread from a couple of years ago.

Regards,

Andy

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Hi from Andy + buying tips for trailers for 18?

Postby maxm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi Andy and welcome to the gang!

As far as the trailer is concerned - I hear your pain. I've had to do far more work on my trailer than on the boat and in reality my trailer is in pretty good nick for its age. Our trailers can cop a lot of punishment.

As for a new one, it's a matter of finding a good trailer manufacturer. We've got Felk near me but they're no good to you in Brisbane. Hopefully someone up your way can give some recommendations. Only problem you're likely to run up against (aside from money) is that I gather nobody will make a splitting trailer any more.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

andymac
Land Lubber

Postby andymac » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks for the reply, Max.

I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you -- moving house across Bass Strait turned out to be a bigger deal than expected! But I'm finally settled in Hobart and now have made definite plans to tow the 18 down from Brisbane in July.

I'll do some legwork on trailer manufacturers in Brisbane and see what I can find. I loved the splitting mechanism on the original trailer.

If anyone else has recommendations for a Brisbane-based trailer manufacturer, I'd be keen to hear them!

fritzelhund
Old Fart

Postby fritzelhund » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:48 am

Hi Andy,

I replaced the trailer on my Mk 1 a few years ago. After much investigation that involved measuring dimensions I elected to buy a SWIFTCO. It is a long established company and based behind the Gold Coast. I selected because of price and the fact that it has an extra crossmember under the centreboard plate. Other cheap Chinese sourced trailers like Seatrail are a bit deficient, being set up for boats that have lots of weight at the back end. My model is all welded. The next size up has a bolted on drawbar. When quizzed it was revealed that the longer size cannot fit in a 20 foot shipping container.
The Swiftco has proven to be very adjustable. I chose the roller version ( they do them with bunks too but the bunk design doesn't fit well with the "whale belly" of the Careel hull. ie more suited to something with straight lines).
I slightly modded the rearmost roller assemblies to become a "capture point " at the rear of the trailer as the extra rollers were redundant .. that weight being in the centre of the boat argument again.
Have a look at Swiftco's website. IIRC I paid about 3.5 K dollars.The Swiftco is showing no rust and came with 14 inch wheels and 185 light truck rated tyres. 14inch tyres are a common size and carry more weight than 13s. I particularly liked the method they use for the adjustments on the side rollers. A large U shaped structure with a compression plate that engages on the outside of the crossmembers. The rollers have plenty of up and down adjustments too. Current pricing is $3250. Current offerings from a company called SAVAGE ( Ebay ) have a ladder of centre rollers that would suit the centre weighty Careels with the straight keelson well, but 13 inch wheels and plastic mudguards. They are Victoria based so a delivery charge will apply too.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem....

andymac
Land Lubber

Postby andymac » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:21 am

fritzelhund wrote:Hi Andy,

I replaced the trailer on my Mk 1 a few years ago. After much investigation that involved measuring dimensions I elected to buy a SWIFTCO. It is a long established company and based behind the Gold Coast. I selected because of price and the fact that it has an extra crossmember under the centreboard plate. Other cheap Chinese sourced trailers like Seatrail are a bit deficient, being set up for boats that have lots of weight at the back end. My model is all welded. The next size up has a bolted on drawbar. When quizzed it was revealed that the longer size cannot fit in a 20 foot shipping container.
The Swiftco has proven to be very adjustable. I chose the roller version ( they do them with bunks too but the bunk design doesn't fit well with the "whale belly" of the Careel hull. ie more suited to something with straight lines).
I slightly modded the rearmost roller assemblies to become a "capture point " at the rear of the trailer as the extra rollers were redundant .. that weight being in the centre of the boat argument again.
Have a look at Swiftco's website. IIRC I paid about 3.5 K dollars.The Swiftco is showing no rust and came with 14 inch wheels and 185 light truck rated tyres. 14inch tyres are a common size and carry more weight than 13s. I particularly liked the method they use for the adjustments on the side rollers. A large U shaped structure with a compression plate that engages on the outside of the crossmembers. The rollers have plenty of up and down adjustments too. Current pricing is $3250. Current offerings from a company called SAVAGE ( Ebay ) have a ladder of centre rollers that would suit the centre weighty Careels with the straight keelson well, but 13 inch wheels and plastic mudguards. They are Victoria based so a delivery charge will apply too.

Thanks so much for this info -- that is super helpful! Will check out the Swiftco :)

fritzelhund
Old Fart

Postby fritzelhund » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:14 am

Hi Andy,

Another thought to add to decision making. You may be tempted to "undersize". Brakes are required on trailers carrying over 750 kilograms.
Years ago when on an old REDCO trailer I put the stripped boat on a weigh bridge. Without motor cushions fuel tank battery and junk the thing came to 860 kilograms so I was legally obliged to put a new axle and wheels under it. Originally on 10 inch wheels ( and a tyre size that is no longer manufactured ) that are better suited to tinnies and jet skis. The change to 14 inch wheels gave everything a much easier life, no scrubbing noises on roundabouts.Chances of finding 5:00 x 10 tyres in rural areas are low. 850 kg is the load carrying capacity of ONE 185R14C tyre, so 14s are considerably under stressed carrying only about 900 kg and shared by two wheels.
Tilting or breakback trailers are a thing of the past. I suspect the only way you will get one that "breaks in half" is to commission one .
BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem....

andymac
Land Lubber

Postby andymac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:24 am

fritzelhund wrote:Hi Andy,

Another thought to add to decision making. You may be tempted to "undersize". Brakes are required on trailers carrying over 750 kilograms.
Years ago when on an old REDCO trailer I put the stripped boat on a weigh bridge. Without motor cushions fuel tank battery and junk the thing came to 860 kilograms so I was legally obliged to put a new axle and wheels under it. Originally on 10 inch wheels ( and a tyre size that is no longer manufactured ) that are better suited to tinnies and jet skis. The change to 14 inch wheels gave everything a much easier life, no scrubbing noises on roundabouts.Chances of finding 5:00 x 10 tyres in rural areas are low. 850 kg is the load carrying capacity of ONE 185R14C tyre, so 14s are considerably under stressed carrying only about 900 kg and shared by two wheels.
Tilting or breakback trailers are a thing of the past. I suspect the only way you will get one that "breaks in half" is to commission one .
BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks again! I'm planning to tow her from Brisbane to Hobart in July, so I'm definitely attracted to the 14" wheels as you suggest.

mkos
Land Lubber

Postby mkos » Tue May 12, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi Andy and anyone else who has been through this process - especially if you had the old trailer fixed,

I'm wondering how you went with your trailer replacement? I'm up on the Sunshine Coast and my Mk1 trailer is in need of quite a bit of work and I'm tossing up replacement versus fixing.

Our Ezi Guide style boat loading rollers which are welded to the rear keel roller all fell off the rusting rear cross member last time we were out (had some fun reloading the boat afterwards but got by with lots of rope). The wheel hubs and disc brakes also need replacing as they are starting to rust significantly). So I'm tossing up buying a new trailer or getting the work done (replacement rear cross member, new Ezi Guide loading and keel rollers and replacement hubs and discs - I'd replace all the rollers and mudguards at the same time). The trailer is on 13 inch wheels and is one of the break/tilt back ones and seems to work well for the Careel in my very limited experience (thanks to David Cook for the launch lesson!).

I was looking at this post (always keen to leverage the experiences of others) and got a quote from Swiftco ($3905 including boat fit and rego - they seem to know their stuff). Cost aside, it would mean a trip down to the Gold Coast for me - at least when we are allowed to travel 170km in these post Covid times. I'm going to see what else is available closer to home but my guess is that it would be double the cost of getting the work done - a new trailer would be really nice though....

Cheers
Martin

Return to “Introduce Yourself”