NSW Winter Cruising Options?

A place to talk about Cruising, Cruising modifications, show photos of Cruising.
John h
Old Fart

NSW Winter Cruising Options?

Postby John h » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:02 pm

With the impending purchase of a C18 (down to four hot contenders now) and the upcoming ACT School holidays it looks like the planets will align for a Winter cruise somewhere. :D Hopefully I don't put the moccas on myself by doing some advanced planning before I've even secured a boat. :shock:

If everything does work out I should have the first week (11-17 Jul) to do a couple of shake out cruises on Lake Burley Griffin and second week (18-24 Jul) to get away somewhere.

Any advice on locations in NSW that would be ok for a cruise this time of year? My first preference would be somewhere on the South Coast to keep travel time down.

Any tips on suitable ramps, parking security, locations to anchor overnight etc would be appreciated.
Lil Annie C18 #438

peter connor
Old Fart

Re: NSW Winter Cruising Options?

Postby peter connor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:10 pm

John

Try St Georges Basin or Lake Conjola.

If you look back through the cruise and gallery section you will see photos of cuises and some details on these cruise locations. Also Port Hacking would be good.

In july you will need a sheltered location on the south side of any waterway.

At St Geoeges Basin Sussex Inlet would be the place to launch.

At Lake Conjola you will need to put in on the southern end and find your way to a sheltered baech.

At Port Hacking, Swallow Rock at Grays Point is the place.

Word of warning, St Georges Basin can get rough if yoou chose the wrong condtions so don;t go out in rough weather.

Just note these waterways are relatively small so 1 week may be too long for such.

Regards

Peter Connor
C18/370
The Smooth

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:59 pm

The previous owner of my boat was from Canberra and he told me he often went south to Victoria's Gippsland Lakes for long cruises because it's just as quick to get to as some of the better NSW waterways. That's a huge waterway with plenty to explore. Launching at Paynesville is probably the way to go but if pdandy sees this, he's bound to give excellent and up to date advice. Might be a bit nipply at that time of the year though!

For NSW:

• I'd second Port Hacking. It's a lovely winding waterway but you won't get much actual sailing in as most of it is fairly narrow unless conditions are right and you can get out onto Bate Bay. I wouldn't plan on that though.
  • St Georges Basin has a secluded lagoon in the north western end which must be sheltered from just about anything but the Basin itself can get really nasty, as Peter says
  • Haven't been there but Jervis Bay is a similar story - fantastic when it's good but it can get nasty and there's few hiding spots
  • Or for a bit further north there is of course Sydney. Not just the harbour - spend some time going up the Parramatta River. That way you can do thing like stay overnight on the little beach next to Drummoyne Sailing Club and have a beer and a meal (and use their showers and toilets!). There's not too many places to launch but coming from south, the best and easiest to get to is probably the ramp at Hen and Chicken Bay at the end of Burwood Road. That's not far from the end of the M4.
  • Or go just that little further north to the Hawkesbury River for heaven on a stick. Launch at Parsley Bay, Brooklyn is probably the easiest for you and is a good ramp. Beware overhanging trees!
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

John h
Old Fart

Postby John h » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Gezz, I'm gunna love Summer!

Some nice spots. Maybe the trip North might be a slightly warmer option for July.
Lil Annie C18 #438

John h
Old Fart

Postby John h » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:32 am

Is anyone able to post or PM me a Google Earth/maps link to the camp location in Tullarwalla Lagoon at St Georges Basin?
Lil Annie C18 #438

Return to “Cruising”