Peel Island Cruise

A place to talk about Cruising, Cruising modifications, show photos of Cruising.
Linda Lass
Ensign

Peel Island Cruise

Postby Linda Lass » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Well gents went out yesterday for a sail on Moreton Bay and fell in love with Careel 18 the issue is each time I go out I have more questions about the boat which I will post in good time. Anyway started off with a easterly breeze from Redland Bay the family and myself travelled to Peel island whic was a bad idea the wind shifted and started to blow southerly this meant the trip home was not going to be nice for the family. But great for me! Little bit of a mistake went with genoa up and full main sail. To say the least I did not match the conditions to the sails I had up but the boat was very well behaved.
I was pointing high it was blowing 25 to 30 knots so was very overpowered. Layed over once and scared the family a bit so decided to take the genoa down. Wife was areal asset doing this but oh boy she got wet. Such a trooper the kids were a help as well. It got dark and was just off Coochie had another 30 minutes cruising still to travel and it was stunning. The boat ramp was empty when I got back and took us a while to pack up.
Home at 8.30pm and all tired after a big day on the water.

Got to say though the Careel performed so well on the day and wish I had afew days off work to go in the Bay to Bay this year but I will go there next year.

Have a good week all and no pictures due to camera being absent from sail this trip but planning easter trip so will do it then.

Martin

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi Martin

Sounds like fun

You should come to the start of the Brisbane to Gladstone on Fri

Should be a few boat going ...

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Linda Lass
Ensign

Postby Linda Lass » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:25 am

Where are you putting in and what time as will look at it. I plan to do a bit of sailing weather permiting over Easter.

Also I was wondering if you had a photo of you self furler setup on the lower part.

The reason being is I would like it set up before this weekend.

Also I have noticed while not under sail my keel knocks the casing is this normal or should I be doing something about it. It also knocked when I had it down at peel.

Regards

Martin

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:31 am

Hi Martin

We are putting in at Cabbage Tree creek at shorncliff meeting 8 to 8.30 am
on Good Friday

as far as I know Paul Trotter and Dave cook are coming too might be a few
more

This is what I modeled my furler on
http://www.careel.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... jib+furler

There is some other info on this site too ... just need to ferret it out

Let me know if you need a photo of mine

Hope you can make it on Fri

Here is a link to that thread too http://www.careel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3216

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Return to “Cruising”