Googong Dam

A place to talk about Cruising, Cruising modifications, show photos of Cruising.
maxm
Old Fart

Googong Dam

Postby maxm » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:59 pm

We visited this dam south of Queanbeyan last week very briefly while visiting my sister-in-law. It has a long though steep concrete boat ramp and the dam is open to non-motor boats (electric motors are OK). The channel from the ramp out to the waterway is short and could easily be paddled in an 18 so it's a feasible spot for a Careel, even without a motor.

Question is, has anyone tried this dam? It strikes me as a nice spot for an overnighter, being well away from everything. Maybe not in winter though!
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:08 pm

This is a link to a photo of the boat ramp:

Click me for a Google map of Googong Dam boat ramp
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

John h
Old Fart

Re: Googong Dam

Postby John h » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:00 pm

You have to either have your outboard wrapped up in plastic or removed from the boat to go on Googong.

The gates get locked outside of opening hours so you get locked in during the night.
Opening Hours
Northern/Queanbeyan end: 8.00am - 6.00pm standard time; 8.00am - 8.00pm daylight savings time.
Southern/Burra end: 8.00am - 5.00pm standard time; 8.00am - 7.00pm daylight savings time.

There is a buoy line towards the dam wall (just north of the boat ramp) that marks the "off limits" section of the dam.

No toilet facilities are available.

As you are in a deep valley, there is no mobile phone coverage on the water.

Some monster Murray Cod live in the damn.
Lil Annie C18 #438

Return to “Cruising”