What's the best mod you made to your boat for cruising?

A place to talk about Cruising, Cruising modifications, show photos of Cruising.
don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Janine, that's all that Rob and I usually do or go for a swim if we're in fresh. There are pumps and systems, fittings available though I believe, BCF etc.
Sorry haven't got back to you on face, don't know what I'm doin' there, Kim put me on. I think I'm gettin' old! Thanks for the congrats.
Don.

pdandy
Old Fart

Postby pdandy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Mick and Janine wrote:What do you all do as far as showering if there are no facilities available??? I do like my creature comforts.... Is there a better option than the old solar shower????

Janine

try one of the garden spray units from your local hardware store- most can be adjusted from fine spray (for lathering) to fierce blast (for rinsing), they use very little water, and you can add hot water to taste. I've tried the cheap 12 volt shower heads with a bucket and not very impressed.

Or just buy a gas boosted instant hot water unit from your local camping store....
noelex 25
previously c18 no 459

Mick and Janine
Captain

showering

Postby Mick and Janine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:29 pm

phwaw, all this talk about Janine showering is getting me flustered - maybe I need a cold shower now!, Mick.
Passing Wind is a most pleasurable pass-time!

Mick and Janine
Captain

Postby Mick and Janine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 pm

Down boy, let's keep this forum "G" rated!

As far as the showers go maybe I should just buy a whole heap of deodorant!

Janine
Passing Wind is a most pleasurable pass-time!

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:19 am

what about one of those gas powered caravan showers, you see them on ebay. we're camping at the moment (full time) while we sort out sheds and kit-homes on our new block and the best thing we did was to hire a portable shower (and loo) next best thing we did was to buy a 10kv diesel generator to heat the water!!
Katrina C18/200

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:34 pm

Last two winters at our place at Lightning Ridge, we have been using solar showers when the weather is good and a 12 volt shower when the weather is overcast. The 12 volt shower was purchased from Jaycar for $25 and to my amazement has so far stood up to about four months of use. We heat the water in tin buckets on our campfire. The only modification I had to make was to tie an old stocking around the water inlet to filter out ashes and such in the water. Still haven't figured out how to set up a campfire on a Careel 18.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Convert the Rope Locker to a Ice Box

Postby Edwin Flynn » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi Max,

I am a miser for space as you probably know from some of the things I have made for Wanton. The latest space saver I finished off is the Ice Box. Wanton's Port side rope locker in the cockpit is actually a very well insulated ice box. I have just finished improving it but adding another thin layer of polystyrene (10mm) insulation. I covered this with a 1mm thick polished aluminium sheet and also installed a New Zealand made Tropicool refrig. cooler. It looks really neat and we now don't have to carry an ice box inside the cabin when we are cruising. I think I mentioned in a previous post how we gave away a $300 you beaut Ice Box we bought for the Whitsunday Cruise because we found our cockpit ice box performed a lot better.

I have just finished this project and I am just waiting for the remote control system to arrive from NZ to make it perfect. I will post pictures when I have finished. If you want to see how to make an icebox just go to the following link:

http://www.tropicool.co.nz/Refrigeratio ... 20Overview

Regards
Ed
Wanton C22/110
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!
The following is my club's web site which I authored. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed building it.
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

ian stuart
Ensign

Re: What's the best mod you made to your boat for cruising?

Postby ian stuart » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Last edited by ian stuart on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ian stuart
Ensign

Re: What's the best mod you made to your boat for cruising?

Postby ian stuart » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Return to “Cruising”