What's the best mod you made to your boat for cruising?

A place to talk about Cruising, Cruising modifications, show photos of Cruising.
maxm
Old Fart

What's the best mod you made to your boat for cruising?

Postby maxm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Now that the bulk of the racing is out of the way, it's time to think about cruising again. We talk here a lot about things we've done to our boats, bits and pieces we've bought. Some work, some don't. Some turn out brilliant and some just don't make a big difference even if they do exactly what you'd planned they should.

So what modification or bit of equipment made the biggest difference for you? What makes you think "geez I'm glad I got that" every time you go out?

For me on KII, there's no question. It was a simple little bit of wiring that allows the winch to work in reverse. Took about 20 minutes to put together Before I made it, I had to try to control the launching using the brake on the winch and I could never get it right. I would always end up not using enough brake and have the boat flying off the end of the trailer or too much and the boat would come to a sudden stop. One time I managed to jerk the whole car/trailer/boat rig back about 6 inches doing that! :shock:

Now every time I launch the boat, it is completely stress free with the winch slowly letting the boat out. 8)

Next best is probably the clips on the boom awing tie down lines with lines that are exactly the right length. I can clip the boom awning up in a jiffy. Nice.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

max+marg@w'gongC18 Gipsy
Captain

best idea

Postby max+marg@w'gongC18 Gipsy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 pm

I went to SpacePac and brought sliding cantilever tracks, went to Bunnings and bought some ply and built a pull out draw that slides effortlessly into the coffin berth.

FANTASTIC.
max+marg@w'gongC18 Gipsy

Mick and Janine
Captain

the draw

Postby Mick and Janine » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi Max's,
thanks for starting this topic, we'll be following it with interest. Our boat is very basic and we are about to do some stuff. Is there a chance you could send a picture of the draw idea? Cheers, Mick n Janine
Passing Wind is a most pleasurable pass-time!

peter connor
Old Fart

Postby peter connor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:34 pm

I have lots of items that have made cruising better but we still have plenty to go.

No.1 would be the sink and water supply to the port side hatch. No.2 would be the dodger. No.3 would be the port side in cabin drawers for the plates, cup etc so they are readily accessible, all of which disappear at racing time except the sink.

I could go on but seeing as I am limited to 1 item and have listed 3, I better shut up.

Regards

Peter Connor
C18
The Smooth

max+marg@w'gongC18 Gipsy
Captain

STORAGE BIN

Postby max+marg@w'gongC18 Gipsy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:39 pm

there was a news article 2 or 3 years ago if someone has ability to search for it?

Last edited by max+marg@w'gongC18 Gipsy on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
max+marg@w'gongC18 Gipsy

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Peter,

No reason someone can't have three good ideas. Or more!
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:40 am

Max.

I might step in here and grab advantage hopefully on your subject matter.

Good on you for starting this conversation about cruising and peoples thoughts and ideas.
As you're aware, I've been interested in getting a 'CRUISERS CORNER' section placed onto the careel site. Maybe could replace the crews needed / crews wanted section, if room on the site is a problem, as it's rarely used. Recently, I mentioned this to a couple of prominent persons and was informed that it may need to be bought up at the next AGM, so little has been able to be done to date.

I believe a 'CRUISERS CORNER' section (if you want to call it that) would be so valuable to all careel owners, for reasons such as :
egs. a. Cruising and cruising locations / trips, stories.
b. How to best fit out / ideas, your boat for cruising.
c. Gear and equip, where purchased / fitted.
and so on.

Look at the response you've had on this subject since you raised the thread at 7:30ish last night. There's many / plenty more people interested in cruising. Some careel owners will only race and some will do both, race and cruise. But, I'll wager and I strongly believe there's a lot out there who will only ever use their boat to cruise.
Lots of advantages / opportunity here for all careel owners, the careel association and class itself.

What do others think, good idea for our careel site or not ?
Don.

max+marg@w'gongC18 Gipsy
Captain

Postby max+marg@w'gongC18 Gipsy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 am

I think that is a great idea.
max+marg@w'gongC18 Gipsy

careeled
Old Fart

Postby careeled » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:56 am

don47 wrote:As you're aware, I've been interested in getting a 'CRUISERS CORNER' section placed onto the careel site. Maybe could replace the crews needed / crews wanted section, if room on the site is a problem, as it's rarely used. Recently, I mentioned this to a couple of prominent persons and was informed that it may need to be bought up at the next AGM, so little has been able to be done to date.
I think you'll find a "Cruisers corner" section can be added very quickly by the likes of Max. Maybe even I could do it if I knew how...

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:31 am

careeled wrote:
don47 wrote:As you're aware, I've been interested in getting a 'CRUISERS CORNER' section placed onto the careel site. Maybe could replace the crews needed / crews wanted section, if room on the site is a problem, as it's rarely used. Recently, I mentioned this to a couple of prominent persons and was informed that it may need to be bought up at the next AGM, so little has been able to be done to date.
I think you'll find a "Cruisers corner" section can be added very quickly by the likes of Max. Maybe even I could do it if I knew how...

Mark,

Doubt that you and I have that power. We can moderate existing fora but to create a new one I think would need admin rights.

Don,

Don't know who told you that about AGMs but they gave you the wrong info. This site has nothing to do with that stuff. All you need to do is PM SaltySeaDog and put it to him.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Right on Max, this site was started and is funded by Clay. It is not an official CCYA site. If you want changes, PM Clay, I am sure he will be helpful.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Clay is member 24 on the membership list, also I suspect number 1 and 2 but 24 would be the best contact.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Yes, Clays funding and looking after this site is much appreciated and should not be overlooked. Great stuff, thanks Clay.

Thanks too, fella's, clay has been PM'dddd, and asked if can assist with perhaps a 'CRUISERS CORNER'.
Don.

Mick and Janine
Captain

Postby Mick and Janine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:25 pm

What do you all do as far as showering if there are no facilities available??? I do like my creature comforts.... Is there a better option than the old solar shower????

Janine
Passing Wind is a most pleasurable pass-time!

Pete C
Old Fart

Postby Pete C » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Sometimes there are shower blocks (public - cold water) or sailing/yacht club's, caravan parks (sshhh!!!), swim (the only way at the Myalls) or you can use the trusty old solar shower which does the trick.
At the same time the boat gets a bit of a wash.

You'll soon become accustomed to the relaxed cruising lifestyle 8)

Pete
TAZ

Return to “Cruising”