Outside Sailing

A place to talk about Cruising, Cruising modifications, show photos of Cruising.
dick
Ensign

Outside Sailing

Postby dick » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:17 pm

I live in Newcastle and I believe I am spoilt for sailing choices with Lake Macquarie, Nelson Bay and Newcastle harbour. My question is I have never taken my Careel 18 Nutcracker (215) outside the heads, how do they handle in open waters. Newcastle to Nelson Bay how would a trailer sailor handle open waters?

don47
Old Fart

Re: Outside Sailing

Postby don47 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Yep,, we are spoilt for a lot of great waterways both nth & sth of Newy with the Myalls being something else again in my opinion.
Sailing outside with an 18 from Newy to The Bay certainly can be done & would be a great adventure but, of course you'd need to pick your day right plus be well equipped & knowledgeable just in case. I'd much prefer to do the trip in the bigger CBd model rather than a light weight Mk1 with only 64kg under it unless its been upgraded to the 20ml job. Nutcracker probably has a shaped 20ml CBd in it I would think,, that be right ?!

There has been a number of outside adventures done by 18's especially up the Qld coast it would seem. Fairly daring I believe as some have been long distant as well. Don't think you'd enjoy it out there if things turned ugly !
Don.

Return to “Cruising”