rudder downhaul C18

Ken B
Petty Officer

rudder downhaul C18

Postby Ken B » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:52 am

Hi all,
when using the rudder downhaul the rope has a tendency to slide off the rudder between the housing and rudder and jamming the rudder quite well, anyone have a solution to rectify this.
thanks Ken

Drifter
Captain

Re: rudder downhaul C18

Postby Drifter » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi Ken,

I understand what you mean. I assume you have the old original aluminium plate rudder "BBQ plate rudder" as it has been called. I have that and find the downhaul will jam if pulled hard when lowering the blade. I allow the blade to fall under it's own weight and then pull the downhaul after a second. This creates enough slack in the line and vertical pull that it usually works. I have seen others with a rope stopper ball placed in the line to prevent this but I have never gotten around to that. Hope this helps and happy sailing!

Cheers,
Drifter
C18/137

Ken B
Petty Officer

Postby Ken B » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:09 am

thanks for that info, I have found the rudder diagram on this site and found that 6mm rope is standard, mine is running 4mm, I have changed the rope size to 6mm this should help,also on further investigation the cleats are placed to the edge of the tiller which tend to pull the rope slightly off centre to the outer side so I have centred the cleats, if the problem still exists I will try the stopper ball idea. now just to put these changes to the test.
Ken

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:07 am

The larger size rope is the idea however, you can & should also tighten up the cheeks to reduce the gap between cheek & blade as much as possible. Some of the larger timber retro fitted swing blades particularly also have a groove in the top of the blade head for the haul rope. A clamp can be fitted across the groove & placed at a minimum distance point when the blade is at its highest to also further assist in shortening the amount of rope available in jumping off the track.
There is always some sort of compromise to be had with rudder systems but, your basic complaint & problem is exactly just one of the reasons why I'll always prefer a dagger over a swing.
Don.

Ken B
Petty Officer

Postby Ken B » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 am

thanks Don
the idea of a dagger board rudder is sounding more appealing, I will add the clamp idea and with the larger rope see how that goes, I have a cal 14 which has the same issues but with the cal when that happens you can still manually push or pull the rudder to drop or raise, on the careel it actually jams and requires considerable force to move the rudder to clear the rope. So if I can get to that stage as the cal with the careel that would be ok. see how it goes
Ken

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:37 am

Yep,, understood Ken. The jamming can be a real pain & issue especially if you happen to be in the wrong location or position at the time.
It's not all bad news though of course if set up & kept adjusted right. My brother who used to own C18 Buhawi before myself made a fairly different styled swing & it worked very well indeed.
Don.

Ken B
Petty Officer

Postby Ken B » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:15 am

Hi all,
thanks for your input, an update on the rudder issues, I have a timber rudder with the groove in the top I have placed a saddle across at the minimum height, replaced uphaul/downhaul rope with 6mm. After 2 days sailing in the Broken Bay area the rudder did not jam once I even tried to run the rope off the groove to see if it would jam, I could not make jam, so a very good outcome, thanks again, hope to catch up in the future
Ken

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:30 am

Glad that its all worked out well for you Ken with those few mods & adjustments.
Don.

Return to “Technical Articles”