C18 Keel winch.

Ray
Petty Officer

C18 Keel winch.

Postby Ray » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi guys and gals,

After a broken keel cable on my C18 Mk2 and being stuck in mud my winch now seems very hard to turn. I feel I may have damaged the worm gear in my efforts to get it out of the mud. Although with no load it still turns but not as easily as it should and under load it becomes quite difficult to move. Has anyone had any experience in taking these things apart? There seems to be no way of getting it open. Also in the attached picture (cant seem to attach photo, even though its only 49K sorry) you can see a 'roll pin' is protruding from the winch which wasn't there before. I can't move the roll pin in or out and have no idea what its for.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciate including where I might be able to get a replacement.

Thanking you for any help with this.

Ray Watts

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Re: C18 Keel winch.

Postby Edwin Flynn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Photos of what you are describing would probably help analyse what needs to be done. Cheers
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!
The following is my club's web site which I authored. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed building it.
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Re: C18 Keel winch.

Postby Mark III Amigo » Tue May 01, 2018 9:19 am

You could try conversion to a pulley system.

At this thread are a few options - hopefully this link takes you to the right page (if not its page 7)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1167&start=90

Also there is a post somewhere around here that shows you how to post photos, you have to use a photo site like photobucket.

Return to “Technical Articles”