Spreaders - size - type for MK111 C18

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Spreaders - size - type for MK111 C18

Postby byrdsworth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:57 am

Hi all

I'm considering adding spreaders to my MK111 mast

anyone one know the type - size etc needed ? also the placement point on the mast ?
pretty sure it's at the lower shrouds point ...but is it above below or right in the centre of where the lowers attach

any info appreciated

or as a long shot anyone have a mast for sale ?

Cheers
byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

don47
Old Fart

Re: Spreaders - size - type for MK111 C18

Postby don47 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:13 am

G/day Emu.

Yes, me too !
They can be difficult to obtain in so far as you just can't seemingly walk in somewhere & purchase off shelf.
Pretty sure that at least most spreaders on C18 that you see about were knocked up by Rose's old mast rigger/fitter who is no longer with us.
I believe he used a jig to make same & which would probably still be kicking about somewhere.

There are some mobs about who can knock up a set but, can be a bit exxy.
I have a contact I will provide you with details later if need who manufactures. He near Central Coast.
You could also enquire thru, Allyacht Spars Aust. Lytton (Bris). Google them. (An old mate of mine, Al Carwardine used to be one of their heads & he had told me on an occasion some years back that they could produce & supply).

I myself was lucky enough to fairly recently come across & buy a stick in excellent nick with conforming spreaders attached ! So will end up keeping Storm's now stick as good spare.

Current,, rule for Spreaders are on P.17 of Rule & Procedure (green) Booklet, they state:

Spreaders may be fitted but are not mandatory. Where fitted shall comply with following.

* Height of spreader attachment to mast above mast step 3480mm plus or minus 75mm.
* Length of spreader from mast to upper shroud 680mm plus or minus 10mm.
* Angle swept aft by spreader from beam 35 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees.
NB: The intention is for the spreader to be positioned in the same plane as the mast & the upper shroud.
* Height of spreader tip at shroud above the spreader attachment to mast 130mm plus or minus 10mm.
* Upper shrouds shall be clamped to spreader tips.
* Spreader material, section & dimensions In accordance with spreader manufacturer's specification.

Best.
Don.

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Re: Spreaders - size - type for MK111 C18

Postby byrdsworth » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks Don

sounds like it might be a bit of a mission ...

will look into all yacht spars ... even though they weren't much help when I was looking for a rigger for The Byrd ...
maybe I just talked to the wrong guy .

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Return to “Technical Articles”