rigging the headsail

jeremy
Ensign

rigging the headsail

Postby jeremy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Okay, the time has finally come. After buying my Careel 18 late last year and then buying a new house, renovating and moving in to the new house I am finally have time for a sail. I've just done a trial partial rig in the driveway and have struck a few unknowns. One of these is the rigging for the head sail and how it attaches to the furler. I'm not sure what the small double block is used for on the front of the furler. i've attached a photo showing how it was rigged when i bought the boat but as it was some time ago i can't remember what we did. I've tried the process of elimination but that didn't solve the mystery. could someone please tell me what i need to do?
C18/350 - no name as yet
Newcastle

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Re: rigging the headsail

Postby byrdsworth » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:40 am

Hi Jeremy

Can't see your photo ... so not sure what your setup is

most c18 furlers are setup similar to this diagram

BTW ... to put a photo in a post it is best to upload it to Photobucket or similar site ... then put a link to your photo in the post
that is what I did for this photo

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

jeremy
Ensign

Postby jeremy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks so much Byrds for going to all that effort and producing the detailed drawing to show how it all works. Turns out we didn't need the sister clips and extra rope, it all became apparent how things work when we did the full rig this morning. Its quite an easy boat to rig and launch which is a pleasant surprise. I've been sailing a 16ft wooden dinghy for many years which is far more complicated and difficult to rig, launch and retrieve. The day wasn't without its hiccups...firstly the trailer came off the ute as we drove out the driveway, then we ran aground on our way back to the boat ramp, then crushed the down haul pulley system as we lowered the mast, then a mud guard fell off the trailer as we left the carpark to head home and finally, we got a puncture as i backed the boat up our steep driveway which caused me to back the boat into the fence. Apart from all that we had a lovely maiden sail, ideal conditions on Lake Macquarie, sunny with a 10-12knot southerly. The boat performed beautifully and i shared the day with my Mum and Dad (who are visiting from Melbourne) and my daughter... all had a great time.
I'm looking forward to sailing with some fellow Careelers soon so i can discover some of the finer points of sailing such a fun boat
All the best
Jeremy.
IMG_1508.JPG
IMG_1508.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 897 times
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1505.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 897 times
IMG_1500.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 897 times
C18/350 - no name as yet
Newcastle

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:56 am

Nice one Jeremy

Sounds like a great day out

Shame about the mishaps. .. but sometimes that's just the way it goes

BTW I didn't make the diagram. .. just grabbed it from another post

Good to hear you got it sorted

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

GlenH
Ensign

Postby GlenH » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:27 pm

Glad you still had a great day out. Sometimes things don't go to plan. When we first bought our careel it took a few trips to sort out the various gremlins.
With the jib, I either do it the way in the diagram or sometimes I will run the forestay to the centre of the furler. I run the halyard down the mast. I put a cord that attaches on the head of the sail and run it down the forestay inside the shrouds, down to the furler and back to the cockpit. That way I can run like a conventional jib and douse the jib by releasing the halyard and pulling on the downhaul.(hope my description makes sense).

Regards
Glen
Glen H
'Maja Fun Too' C18/109

Return to “Technical Articles”